Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

DoorDash, Postmates, GrubHub, UberEats, Eat24 & Other Meal Delivery Services

DoorDash, Postmates, GrubHub, UberEats, Eat24 & Other Meal Delivery Services

Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:07 pm

Caviar Food delivery in San Francisco -- rant

7:30am - submitted $500 order (30 people) for scheduled delivery between 11:30am and 12:00pm.
11:15am - restaurant indicates it has started preparing the food
12:00pm - delivery service says ETA 15 minutes.
1:00pm - delivery service says order has been cancelled (restaurant claims "gas leak") and offers a $20 credit toward a future order.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:18 pm

Miserable! When was your lunch scheduled? What did you do??
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Ugh! Not fun
which service?? I've never ordered for more than 12 people (personal dinner parties, not a work luncheon), but major bummer! I hope you don't get fired for this. But if you do, then would you really want to work at a place that fires you for a luncheon problem?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I guess this why any catering at a company I've worked at is cold sandwiches that are delivered one to two hours ahead of time.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i assume this was all done online? as great as the internet is, i wouldn't trust it for a major business lunch. i always call my desired restaurant 24 hours ahead of time to place an order like this, but then again i've been accused of being over prepared.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:37 pm

Last I read, a lot of those lunch companies in SF were going under. If this one survived, how bad were the others?

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
I guess this why any catering at a company I've worked at is cold sandwiches that are delivered one to two hours ahead of time.
Ha, yeah, the ubiquitous Costco sandwich tray FTW.

Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:21 pm

This was a Caviar order in San Francisco. @gaobest, don't worry nobody is getting fired.

We are frustrated that the cancellation notice came 1 hour after the order should have been delivered. And that the credit amount was paltry.

We have an entire office of employees and guests with blood sugars rapidly falling. Cancelling even at 11:59am would have been fine, we would've just scattered to lunch shops around SoMa/FiDi.

But canceling at 1pm meant we were all waiting for something that the restaurant/Caviar should have known much earlier would never come to fruition.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! I use caviar a lot. I've had some bad blips but not work... Since I don't need it for work.
Caviar has fixed my issues but it's annoying for everyone when it occurs

their default is a $5 credit towards the NEXT order but you can try to fight for more. I doubt it'll succeed.

Yes many startups fail in SF, like my former neighbor Spoon Rocket. But then there's Stripe and Mulesoft (ipo and now CRM acquisition) and Loudr and loads more. All investors suffer their failures when the successes skyrocket.

Which restaurant?? Will you return to Specialties?? :-)
ive suffered from Wise Sons and Paxtis errors but all other Caviar orders are successful. I probably do 100-150 caviar per year, with total 4 problems. And I order a ton from Wise Sons and Paxtis!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:49 pm

How did you know I was ever at Specialties?!?!

I don't recall the name of today's restaurant nor am I especially inclined to check... but it was somewhere in the Tenderloin. My coworker joked we should walk over there to assess whether the "gas leak" excuse was in fact bollocks.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
How did you know I was ever at Specialties?!?!
Because everyone whos ever worked up there has been to Specialties!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I miss specialties...the chairman and an oatmeal wheatgerm choco chip cookie...yum!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fwoomp
Because everyone whos ever worked up there has been to Specialties!
Yes. Specialties is the best default for soma / Fidi - I don't even work there but have been there enough.
You could even do Bun Mee or super duper burgers.

I hope you didn't do Turtle Tower. I love them but wouldn't do it. I actually get good Korean lunch at Jin Mi a lot. But walking through tenderloin now is better than in the 80s & 90s, but now it's like walking in your home neighborhood. Just menacing and still not pleasant.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
How do you know there wasn't a gas leak at 1205?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I have been burned by GrubHub more than once in this same scenario. It was my fault for allowing it to happen a second time by daring to order through them again, so never will they get my future business. Their position is, too bad so sad and here's a small voucher that will expire next week.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Much the same happened to a group I was hosting years ago (before the current style of delivery services). We made a big sign, and hireda kid who worked in the hotal's** parking garage to picket the restaurant the following day from 11AM until 1PM. I don't know how well it worked, but the restaurant was mighty upset, even attempting to have the police remove the picketer. They wouldn't and were amused by our gall. We only missed newspaper coverage due to a gutless city deck.

** The hotel had no restaurant, only breakfast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.