Wiki Posts
Search

DoorDash, Postmates, GrubHub, UberEats, Eat24 & Other Meal Delivery Services

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
Ugh! Not fun
which service?? I've never ordered for more than 12 people (personal dinner parties, not a work luncheon), but major bummer! I hope you don't get fired for this. But if you do, then would you really want to work at a place that fires you for a luncheon problem?
Wow---there must be some mean bosses out there if people would get fired over something like this. Yikes.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
How do you know there wasn't a gas leak at 1205?
I don't, but that's also 5 minutes after the order should have been delivered!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:38 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Late to this thread but…

I would never use Caviar or Grubhub or any other delivery service for a group lunch like that. Especially if you’re ordering from a restaurant that may not have the capacity to do such a big order. I would always call the restaurant directly see if they can prepare a catering order like that and make sure that they can from their end before I order. Caviar is just a middleman and they’re very stingy with credits in situations like this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Caviar does have catering options from the clever restaurants that have catering platters. The problem with ordering catering from restaurants is when the restaurant offers catering without a delivery option - thus the value of caviar and their competitors. I love La Med and their catering includes delivery option but such delivery options are a tad rare - but that's the value of Eat24 (owned by Yelp), which mostly does restaurants that have delivery.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by squeakr
I would never use Caviar or Grubhub or any other delivery service for a group lunch like that. Especially if you’re ordering from a restaurant that may not have the capacity to do such a big order. I would always call the restaurant directly see if they can prepare a catering order like that and make sure that they can from their end before I order. Caviar is just a middleman and they’re very stingy with credits in situations like this.
This. I would call the restaurant at least a day or two in advance, as they may need time to prepare the order. They may be able to prep some items during a slow period the day before.
Originally Posted by gaobest
Caviar does have catering options from the clever restaurants that have catering platters. The problem with ordering catering from restaurants is when the restaurant offers catering without a delivery option - thus the value of caviar and their competitors. I love La Med and their catering includes delivery option but such delivery options are a tad rare - but that's the value of Eat24 (owned by Yelp), which mostly does restaurants that have delivery.
You might be able to reach out to the restaurant offering catering and arrange a delivery option through Caviar, but giving the restaurant a bit of notice would be helpful.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
I don't, but that's also 5 minutes after the order should have been delivered!
I assume if there really was a gas leak (not saying there was), getting employees safely out of the building and making sure there was no immediate danger were higher priorities than retrieving the list of pending orders and alerting the customers. An hour in that case is really not that bad. Unfortunate, but IMO understandable, if true. Like you said, someone should have walked over to check on it.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by JBord
I assume if there really was a gas leak (not saying there was), getting employees safely out of the building and making sure there was no immediate danger were higher priorities than retrieving the list of pending orders and alerting the customers. An hour in that case is really not that bad. Unfortunate, but IMO understandable, if true. Like you said, someone should have walked over to check on it.
Normally, I'd agree with you about the safety aspect but Caviar (I'm assuming) updated the delivery completion ETA to 15 minutes based on updates from the restaurant which, even if the restaurant was within walking distance, means to me that the delivery person had to have the food in hand in order to make that timeline. Since that didn't happen, to me, the restaurant appears to be covering their assets by claiming a gas leak.

We all know that parking in that area of San Francisco is tough at the best of times and a short journey with as large an order as indicated makes it that much more conceivable that either the restaurant or the delivery person was in over their head with regards to the order. Cancelling after "normal" lunch hours and leaving them in a lurch was very unprofessional and a 4% voucher for the inconvenience is laughable. Not saying that the entire order next time should be comped but they are missing out on an opportunity to thank a customer for finding a deficiency in their system and giving a decent bounty for doing so.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta - GM, Hilton - Diamond, National - EE
Uber Eats

How many of ya'll use Uber Eats. I just started a few weeks ago, and man is it fantastic.

I use it mainly when I am overly tired or if it's raining and I have been very pleased with it to this point.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:21 pm

Love UberEats for the real-time tracking. Couple of days ago I got a margherita pizza delivered to my office in San Francisco in 17 minutes. It takes 11 minutes just to drive from the restaurant!

There is one small flaw in the service - most couriers don't have insulated bags to transport the food.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:36 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this is more about dining delivery options rather than ride-in-vehicle options, let me move this to the DiningBuzz forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I've used it several times and have been fairly happy with it.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
So I ordered from Postmates tonight for a place I haven't tried before. The order was accepted and my card was authorized. A half hour later my driver called to tell me the restaurant had permanently closed a year ago. She learned this after she couldn't find it and she asked a cop for directions. That was rather surprising.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
So I ordered from Postmates tonight for a place I haven't tried before. The order was accepted and my card was authorized. A half hour later my driver called to tell me the restaurant had permanently closed a year ago. She learned this after she couldn't find it and she asked a cop for directions. That was rather surprising.
I feel your pain. I find that Postmates in the RTP area is atrocious.

We are unable to use it at our house because their app doesn't recognize our address as a valid Durham address because it's a new development (except at this point it's 4 years old so there's no excuse for that).
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Not happy at all with Uber eats and now use Just eat. The good thing about Uber eats is that you can track the delivery. While I am travelling and in a hotel ,this is very good for both me and the driver as they do not have to hang around at the hotel reception with the food getting cold.

However I ordered some food in central London last week . Food arrived on time but one of the items was missing. Also the main I was sent was totally different to what I had ordered !. I tried to contact the restaurant directly but they had closed by them.

I contacted Uber eats with photographs of the food and though they gave me a refund for the missing item , they refused to do anything about the wrong item sent !!.

Not happy with the response from Uber eats( I suspect this might be in the fine print somewhere) and I used Just eat for the remainder of my stay.

The response was
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you were unhappy with the quality of the food. Unfortunately, we're unable to provide a refund under these circumstances, in line with Uber's policy.

To ensure restaurants can make the most of this feedback, we'd love it if you rated your order. You can do so by pressing the "Orders" button at the bottom of your app (it looks like a small receipt), then pressing "Rate Order" next to the delivery confirmation. This will allow the restaurant to see where improvements can be made.

We have processes in place to review this type of feedback, so your concern hasn't gone unnoticed.

We hope to offer you a better experience on your next order.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Just had a bad delivery from Bite Squad (Chef Shuttle). I saw him turn one street too early on the tracking map. Then when he did find the correct street, I was standing on the curb (with no cars parked in front of me so nothing blocking the view) waving my arms, and he still managed to drive past me. The driver finally called me 5 minutes later, "um, I'm not familiar with downtown." I ended up having to walk 2.5 blocks over to where he was stopped to get my food from him because he didn't know how to read a map or street signs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.