FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Why can't North American restaurants serve red wine properly? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1770524-why-cant-north-american-restaurants-serve-red-wine-properly.html)

Badenoch Jun 6, 2016 5:12 am

Why can't North American restaurants serve red wine properly?

For the third time in as many weeks I've been served a bottle of red wine that was far too warm. This seems to happen more often in the hot weather and is an indication the restaurant is not storing their wine properly.

The last time after tasting I asked the bottle be put into an ice bucket and got a snide remark from the server about how red wine was SUPPOSED to be served. What followed was an exchange of unpleasantries with the manager, him apologizing profusely and a change in servers.

Even some better restaurants in North America don't seem to understand that heat isn't good for red wine. Meanwhile in continental Europe I can't recall being served an overheated glass of red wine at even the lowliest cafe.

Non-NonRev Jun 6, 2016 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 26735353)
Even some better restaurants in North America don't seem to understand that heat isn't good for red wine. Meanwhile in continental Europe I can't recall being served an overheated glass of red wine at even the lowliest cafe.

Maybe part of the issue is that there is a colloquial concept among some people that, at home, reds should be stored in a closet (away from light and heat). That is fine as far as it goes, but doesn't get the wine to the neighborhood of 55° to 58°F.

bo1953 Jun 6, 2016 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev (Post 26735382)
Maybe part of the issue is that there is a colloquial concept among some people that, at home, reds should be stored in a closet (away from light and heat). That is fine as far as it goes, but doesn't get the wine to the neighborhood of 55° to 58°F.

As well, many of us, Americans, did not go to Sommelier school and do not understand what room temperature is in relation to 'today's standard', neither do the wine manufacturers help to educate the public on this.

Consider yourself lucky to have attended that school so you can further educate others, gently, on the 'correct' way to serve red wine.

Enjoy and all the best...

VivoPerLei Jun 6, 2016 8:07 am

Which wine were you drinking? I generally prefer pinot noir slightly chilled, but if were a hearty Rhone Valley I probably wouldn't care. Would not want anything above room temperature, though. If that's what happened I might consider sending it back.

Originally Posted by bo1953 (Post 26735418)
Consider yourself lucky to have attended that school so you can further educate others, gently, on the 'correct' way to serve red wine.

I don't think it's asking too much to expect to be served a beverage at the appropriate temperature for that beverage. I wouldn't want to drink a glass of milk or a cup of coffee served at room temperature, either

Badenoch Jun 6, 2016 8:24 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei (Post 26736054)
Which wine were you drinking? I generally prefer pinot noir slightly chilled, but if were a hearty Rhone Valley I probably wouldn't care. Would not want anything above room temperature, though. If that's what happened I might consider sending it back.

Most recently a mid-range California cab that was above room temperature and way above cellar temperature. My guess it was in an unconditioned storeroom. I find these occurrences happen more during the warm weather months.

VivoPerLei Jun 6, 2016 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 26736135)
Most recently a mid-range California cab that was above room temperature and way above cellar temperature. My guess it was in an unconditioned storeroom. I find these occurrences happen more during the warm weather months.

Yeah, that is unacceptable, especially with markups around 3 to 4x.

A lot of shenanigans happen with wine. I've had wine by the glass with a refrigerator taste to it, like it was put back overnight. I've been served the wrong wine by the glass, maybe they assume most people won't be able to tell the difference. Also had the deliberate substitution of a very expensive bottle for what I really ordered.

DetailsIM Jun 6, 2016 9:25 am

Related but un-related, while out this weekend I ordered a glass of Champagne. When it came there were zero bubbles. Everyone at the table thought I had ordered white wine.

A.) Either they were trying to be ballsy and slip that past me or;

B.) Just didn't care.

Either way I probably won't go back to that place.

Eastbay1K Jun 6, 2016 9:32 am

Originally Posted by bo1953 (Post 26735418)
As well, many of us, Americans, did not go to Sommelier school and do not understand what room temperature is in relation to 'today's standard', neither do the wine manufacturers help to educate the public on this.

I did not go to sommelier school. I have no formal wine education.

I do not want my red wine served too warm.

I do not want "fresh out of the dishwasher" warm stemware brought out to serve my wine.

I've actually had waitstaff offer (unsolicited) to chill the red for a few minutes to bring it "down" to a more proper temp.

I'm not too concerned with more recent vintages held at somewhat above ideal (but not cooking) temps.

But mostly, if you're patronizing an establishment with a not-bargain-basement wine list and you have issue with the wine temperature at service time, speak up. It could be that things are held in proper storage temp until they're brought out of storage for service (i.e., not more than a few days). Unless the restaurant is the winemaker, it isn't like a chef not wanting substitutions on a certain menu item that needs to be made a certain way. Accordingly, I'd take offense being told "you vill drink dis at 75 degrees."

GRALISTAIR Jun 6, 2016 10:09 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei (Post 26736406)
Also had the deliberate substitution of a very expensive bottle for what I really ordered.

:eek: :td: not good -that is fraud

Kagehitokiri Jun 6, 2016 10:14 am

very simple answer - because their customers pay for it

clearly there will be differences depending on quality/type/location of restaurant

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei (Post 26736406)
A lot of shenanigans happen with wine. I've had wine by the glass with a refrigerator taste to it, like it was put back overnight. I've been served the wrong wine by the glass, maybe they assume most people won't be able to tell the difference. Also had the deliberate substitution of a very expensive bottle for what I really ordered.

VivoPerLei Jun 6, 2016 10:32 am

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR (Post 26736726)
:eek: :td: not good -that is fraud

Fraud or not, it would appear that these bait and switch maneuvers are somewhat common according to how many people post about them. I suspect the restaurants can always say it was an honest mistake. I would think getting people to pay would be the hard part

Kagehitokiri Jun 6, 2016 10:46 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei (Post 26736868)
Fraud or not, it would appear that these bait and switch maneuvers are somewhat common according to how many people post about them. I suspect the restaurants can always say it was an honest mistake. I would think getting people to pay would be the hard part

and even when there is service recovery, many never point out problems

fassy Jun 6, 2016 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 26735353)

Depends what you mean with overheated? Even here in Europe I often get wine with is just a tad to warm in lots of places. Only higher end restaurants seem to care about having real wine refrigerators with different temperature zones.

I'm far away from being a wine snob or Sommelier but I cannot enjoy e.g. a Primitivo to my pasta at over 20°C... and often enough if it is a hot day you get it at ambient temperature which given the lack of ac in most European places is about 22°C to 25° (or more)

GRALISTAIR Jun 6, 2016 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei (Post 26736868)

That is why I like to see the bottle on the table - not just a glass delivered. :(

Badenoch Jun 6, 2016 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 26736508)
Accordingly, I'd take offense being told "you vill drink dis at 75 degrees."

The server's attitude when I asked for an ice bucket was much of the problem. I don't appreciate being lectured in front of guests by the help. The manager sorted him out and another server took over our table.

Originally Posted by fassy (Post 26737012)
Depends what you mean with overheated? Even here in Europe I often get wine with is just a tad to warm in lots of places. Only higher end restaurants seem to care about having real wine refrigerators with different temperature zones.

I didn't have a thermometer but I'd guess mid-20s Celsius.