Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

When did people become so picky in restaurants?

When did people become so picky in restaurants?

Old May 21, 2016, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
'Cause you might come back and demand your money back because they "shorted" you.

People actually pull crap like this, demand to talk to the manager, and demand to get their whole meal comped.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:10 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by james318
...I couldn't understand why I could get just a scoop of the yella' and a scoop of the blue without rice/noodles and still pay the same price without the manager OK'ing it.
Because that's not in the computer. Annoys me when the computerized cash register drives the business, not vice versa.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by satman40
Even White Castle will do no pickles...
And at the good ones they'll actually give them to you with no pickles. At the bad ones you get pickles anyway.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
'Cause you might come back and demand your money back because they "shorted" you.

People actually pull crap like this, demand to talk to the manager, and demand to get their whole meal comped.
It was Vegas. At 3:00am. I almost hugged the manager for finally allowing them to charge me for my black pepper chicken and broccoli beef.

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Because that's not in the computer. Annoys me when the computerized cash register drives the business, not vice versa.
True story. But in this case, all they had to do was not scoop the rice/noodles not the plate and charge me as normal. This didn't make sense to them, but I guess Doc Savage's comment above would explain it.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While it doesn't (usually) phase them today, the first time I saw a vegetarian order a "cheeseburger, no meat" at a New Mexico Burger King (circa mid 1990s), I thought the front counter staff was going to have a complete meltdown.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:42 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Old May 21, 2016, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by kale73
While it doesn't (usually) phase them today, the first time I saw a vegetarian order a "cheeseburger, no meat" at a New Mexico Burger King (circa mid 1990s), I thought the front counter staff was going to have a complete meltdown.
This is called a "grilled cheese" on the In and Out secret menu.
Old May 21, 2016, 9:06 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by james318
...I couldn't understand why I could get just a scoop of the yella' and a scoop of the blue...
Nice 'Vegas Vacation' reference.

My wife has a severe gluten allergy (Celiac disease--not because her yoga instructor told her to give up gluten). Therefore, we rarely go out to eat...When we do go out, it's generally to places that have a GF menu. If that fails, she will order a salad, plain chicken breast Or something else that is generally safe. If a big deal must be made, she just won't eat. (And if it's just us, means we're leaving--but that is very rare these days).
Old May 22, 2016, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I'm in the middle on this issue. If it's a set meal and no substitutions are permitted then I will order around the restriction.

There's a difference however between a "substitution" and an "exclusion" and should I ask something be excluded from my plate then the restaurant should accommodate the request.
Old May 22, 2016, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I'm in the middle on this issue. If it's a set meal and no substitutions are permitted then I will order around the restriction.

There's a difference however between a "substitution" and an "exclusion" and should I ask something be excluded from my plate then the restaurant should accommodate the request.
Agreed. The woman I was referring to at the start of the topic wanted a substitution of grilled vegetables or similar. Judging from her girth, she would always be unhappy with an exclusion of food. They were ordering the cheapest thing on the menu, the bargain special, and trying to trick/negotiate it.
Old May 22, 2016, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

picky is not the problem, the problem is understanding ready to order vs queue
Old May 22, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by kokonutz
In my family the substituters would have been mercilessly mocked. In the moment and for years after.
Good. I think we've become a society of weaklings and needy people.

I can appreciate and applaud SAP's comment that "at that price..."I expect Ruth's Chris to not put butter on his steak, and that at Tim Horton's, he's prepared to face whatever consequences come from the potential allergens if he orders poorly.

But a lot of restaurants offer "specialty dishes" or even "standard dishes" where the chef either put a lot of time and effort and creativity into the recipe or the item contains the same ingredients everywhere. IF you order those dishes, you should take it the way it was meant to be prepared, or order something else that fits your dietary requirements or lifestyle or go to a restaurant that caters to your needs. Don't go in and order "beef with broccoli" and ask for asparagus instead. Don't ask a chef to change up the night's special because you can't handle the garlic or red pepper flakes or cream in the sauce. He/she meant for it to be a specific way, and that's the way it should be served/prepared.

Everyone's entitled these days. That has to stop at some point. There are other restaurant/dish choices. Pick something else.

End of rant. Sorry.
Old May 22, 2016, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Good. I think we've become a society of weaklings and needy people.

I can appreciate and applaud SAP's comment that "at that price..."I expect Ruth's Chris to not put butter on his steak, and that at Tim Horton's, he's prepared to face whatever consequences come from the potential allergens if he orders poorly.

But a lot of restaurants offer "specialty dishes" or even "standard dishes" where the chef either put a lot of time and effort and creativity into the recipe or the item contains the same ingredients everywhere. IF you order those dishes, you should take it the way it was meant to be prepared, or order something else that fits your dietary requirements or lifestyle or go to a restaurant that caters to your needs. Don't go in and order "beef with broccoli" and ask for asparagus instead. Don't ask a chef to change up the night's special because you can't handle the garlic or red pepper flakes or cream in the sauce. He/she meant for it to be a specific way, and that's the way it should be served/prepared.

Everyone's entitled these days. That has to stop at some point. There are other restaurant/dish choices. Pick something else.

End of rant. Sorry.
I don't feel that it's about people being needy. As I said, until you face dietary restrictions yourself, it's hard to appreciate the issues that go along with having them.

That being said, one has to be reasonable. In my humble opinion, what one pays for dinner is what is a factor. Should Ruth Chris deal with my issues? Yes. Should Timmies deal with my issues? Heck no.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I don't feel that it's about people being needy. As I said, until you face dietary restrictions yourself, it's hard to appreciate the issues that go along with having them.

That being said, one has to be reasonable. In my humble opinion, what one pays for dinner is what is a factor. Should Ruth Chris deal with my issues? Yes. Should Timmies deal with my issues? Heck no.
Not ordering rice or noodles doesn't sound like dietary restrictions, it sounds as dietary preferences. If you have a preference, go to a restaurant that fits your preferences.
Old May 22, 2016, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by theddo
Not ordering rice or noodles doesn't sound like dietary restrictions, it sounds as dietary preferences. If you have a preference, go to a restaurant that fits your preferences.
I am sure this was the case. After she figured out they were not going to bend on the rice or noodles issue, her husband struggled for a while and then came out with" What if she is allergic to rice and noodles? What would you do then?" From his tone I am sure she was not allergic, in fact she said a number of times "I don't eat rice or noodles" and at no point indicated an allergy.

Took all my willpower not to bark at them and tell them if you are allergic to rice and noodles, why are you here? Fact is she was too darn cheap to order something other than the daily specials.

Most people allergic to shellfish don't spend a lot of time at oyster bars asking are there any specials today?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.