Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Grilling/Smoking w/Green Egg, Weber, Pellet Grill, Kamado, etc." thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Grilling/Smoking w/Green Egg, Weber, Pellet Grill, Kamado, etc." thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

I just got a Green Egg after taking a BBQ/Smoking class. Does anyone else have one? I am starting to think it might be one of those purchases that seemed like a great idea at the time. I also have a Weber Natural Gas BBQ as well which we use a lot.

So does anyone else have one? Love it? Hate it? Ever use it? Any advice?

Ironically someone at Costco was selling a "red" egg so I bought some of their charcoal (hopefully red egg and green egg charcoal is compatible).

Last edited by andyh64000; Apr 10, 2016 at 5:47 pm
Old Apr 10, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Depends on what you want to grill.

Cast Iron skillet, and an oven that has a below 200 temps true hard to beat,'

'I have 3 grills, 2 Gas, and a Charcoal, all Webers. Great for burgers, but fish, is often best finished in the oven, thicker the fish the lower the tempature

Green Egg is big in this area, one of the promoters has a restaurant, but so does Weber..

Enjoy, everything is great on a grill....even Pizza..
Old Apr 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got a knock off (Kamado?)....we use it when I have the time. Getting it light and then to the temp I want seems to be a long process. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

But once dialed in it is amazingly consistent.
When I don't get it dialed in and leave to go run bleachers I end up totally ruining a set of pork ribs - oddly enough that was today...i should have taken a picture.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have 2 Webers....natural gas and a charcoal. I pretty much only use the charcoal on the weekends because of the time it takes to get the coals right.
I do know that people love that green egg but it ain't cheap. There are websites and forums dedicated to green egg followers. Report back once you've had time to play with it. I don't think it's all hype though --lots of fans.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
My Charcoal is a Performance, lights with small bottle of gas, so it does get to temperature a little quicker.

I also have a water smoker kit installed, so we do keep the temperature low and cook it slow...

Talk about a following Weber has many fans...

Could The Green Egg, be a Weber, lined in cement and painted Green..it would hold the heat better...
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I'm a Weber Guy -

I Have both a Performer Charcoal for grilling (starts quicly w/propane) & A Weber "WSM" - Smokey Mountain 18.5 for Smoking Meat's. I hear the Big Green Egg is a fine unit - Spendy, right?

I find that using em often makes it all the more enjoyable regardless of their cost. Have Fun !
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The egg is solid. I don't have one, but several friends do and they seem to love them.

I'm a Weber guy, both for smoking and grilling.

This is probably heading for OMNI soon...
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:43 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by pinniped

This is probably heading for OMNI soon...

Yup, off to OMNI
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Yup, off to OMNI
Oops...thanks

Thanks for the replies. I am going to attempt to assemble it today.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:09 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

My nephew in Virginia has one and frequently uses it. He loves that thing. I have had the delicious brisket he cooks in there and have seen photographs of his Thanksgiving turkeys. He has entered BBQ competitions and won with that Green Egg. I wish he were OMNI-enabled so he could answer your question directly.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
My father in-law has one, loves it, and chars everything to death. My advise is to cook better than him
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by corky
I have 2 Webers....natural gas and a charcoal. I pretty much only use the charcoal on the weekends because of the time it takes to get the coals right.
I do know that people love that green egg but it ain't cheap. There are websites and forums dedicated to green egg followers. Report back once you've had time to play with it. I don't think it's all hype though --lots of fans.
I have pretty much the same input. Green Egg folks are passionate about the product. I probably have the same two Webers as corky and they get me by just fine.

I don't think it's all hype either. Folks who seem to know what they are doing swear by them.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:51 pm

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain (in addition to a regular Weber Genesis grill). We use it to smoke meat - ribs, pork butt/shoulder, brisket. You might check out the Virtual Weber Bullet site and forums for tips and recipes.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:18 pm

I have had a big green egg for over 10 years. I think it was a father's day present from the kids. It is great and especially for smoking. I still want to build a table on wheels for it, and I would like to have one of the gizmos that automatically regulates the temperature. Be careful when opening it up when hot as it will singe your hair. Check out the big green egg forums. The green egg cooks best with copious quantities of craft beer. Briskets are the best and pork shoulders, and whole fish. I tend to use the gas grill for the smaller stuff. I am still looking for a piglet that will fit on the egg. Enjoy. I got the idea for this from a CEO boss that bought Kamodo ovens and liked to cook quail wrapped with bacon for parties.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 1:00 pm

I've got an XL Big Green Egg and love it. The key for no fuss long cooks is getting a digital controller which will maintain your dome temp within a degree or two.
http://www.amazon.com/BBQ-Guru-DigiQ-DX2-Green/dp/B006NZUN8A http://www.amazon.com/BBQ-Guru-DigiQ-DX2-Green/dp/B006NZUN8A

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.