Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Grilling/Smoking w/Green Egg, Weber, Pellet Grill, Kamado, etc." thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Grilling/Smoking w/Green Egg, Weber, Pellet Grill, Kamado, etc." thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by work2fly
I'm considering doing chicken wings on the Kamado this weekend.

From what I gather, it's good to air dry the wings in the fridge overnight, render them for a bit using low, direct heat and finish with a higher heat until the skin crisps.

I'm thinking of just a simple BBQ rub for the kids, and perhaps a very hot sauce or two for the adults.

Would anyone have experiences or recipes to share?
I have only done beer can chicken on the Egg (I usually do BBQ chicken on the Weber).

For wings and thighs dry the chicken and then use sesame oil and a basic rub (I use Sesame oil for most of my meats) starting lowish heat and increasing to get the outside crispy cooking to internal of 170 and then wrapping/resting for about 10 mins.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I followed the general idea of the previous two posts and am ready to conclude that wings on the Kamado are the best wings I've ever had.

I tossed some with a classic buffalo sauce, some with a pantry BBQ sauce (https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...arbecue-sauce) and some were just plain with only the pre-cooking oil, salt and pepper.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Pastrami

First attempt at from scratch home made pastrami.

Point section of a 15lb. packer's brisket after 4 days brining/curing.

Into the Traeger for 4 hours...

Finished smoking...

It was then wrapped in foil and cooked a couple more hours until 200 degrees. It tasted as good as it looks...

Sammich time!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:52 am

That pastrami looks great!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

I agree...that looks great.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by andyh64000
I agree...that looks great.
Thanks! It was really good. I will be making it again for sure.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by braslvr
Interesting that your smoker has no stack. What model Traeger is this?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:26 am

It's the Junior.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/gr.../TFB29LZB.html
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I followed the general idea of the previous two posts and am ready to conclude that wings on the Kamado are the best wings I've ever had.

I tossed some with a classic buffalo sauce, some with a pantry BBQ sauce (https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...arbecue-sauce) and some were just plain with only the pre-cooking oil, salt and pepper.
I'm late, but you could also steam your wings to get rid of some of the water in the skin before you air dry. Your Kamado can get temps high enough to brown w/o using baking soda or powder to start a Maillard Reaction.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...gs-recipe.html

Vacuum packed pork loins are on sale here this week, so I'll likely get a 4-5#er to smoke next weekend for a while before putting it in a Wellington since I've got puff pastry near its best buy date.

Last edited by csufabel; Jul 20, 2017 at 11:39 pm
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr
Awesome!!! That's a beautiful pastrami....bravo!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Hopefully the burn ban is lifted tonight...

2nd pic...about halfway finished

3rd pic...took a bit longer than expected but it was perfect
Attached Images    
corky, work2fly, Kgmm77 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by andyh64000; Aug 12, 2017 at 9:36 pm
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Two items of note:

1. I smoked a pork belly a couple weeks ago (WSM). This is possibly the best thing I have ever smoked. I used the same rub as I do for Pulled Pork, minus some of the heat. Let it go for about 3.5 hours to allow the fat to render into the meat, and it was honestly melt in your mouth delicious.

2. I just purchased a Guru for the WSM to help with temp control. I'll report back on how well that works.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji

2. I just purchased a Guru for the WSM to help with temp control. I'll report back on how well that works.
I would be interested to hear how this works. It would definitely help for cooking overnight but I would be afraid I'd lose my excuse for sitting on the deck watching college football and drinking beer all day.
Pa Kettle likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:19 am

Late to this thread, but just dipping my toe in the world of kamado grills.

Did a dry rubbed leg of lamb for my first slow cook (pimiento salt, smoked paprika, garlic, rosemary).

Was pretty happy with how it turned out, the Weber igrill 2 makes a huge difference on getting the temp exactly right.

Still struggling to get the grill up to high heat for searing, I think I need to find some better lump wood charcoal if I can find the BGE or Kamado Joe branded stuff.

IMG_5114

IMG_5115
corky, andyh64000 and Pa Kettle like this.

Last edited by Kgmm77; Aug 25, 2017 at 3:25 am
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:42 am

That leg of lamb looks awesome! What is pimiento salt? I googled it and came up empty handed.

I'm pretty new to the Kamado, and thus far I've only used BGE charcoal. I like that there are a variety of sizes so I can use big chunks for low and slow and smaller pieces for hotter cooking.

The best advice I got was to spend an afternoon learning what settings produce specific temps - no cooking, just burning some charcoal. After some practice, I can now dial in say 225-250 and hold it for hours with little or no intervention. It's the same vent settings every time - literally just like setting the temperature for an oven.

Second best advice was to spend the money on a quality 2 probe thermometer with a remote reader. Often there will be a 30-50 degree difference in temp between the thermometer that came with the grill and the actual temp down on the grate. I like reverse sear for bigger pieces of meat and I couldn't do it without a good thermometer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.