Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Grilling/Smoking w/Green Egg, Weber, Pellet Grill, Kamado, etc." thread

Consolidated "Grilling/Smoking w/Green Egg, Weber, Pellet Grill, Kamado, etc." thread

Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by satman40
Depends on what you want to grill.

Cast Iron skillet, and an oven that has a below 200 temps true hard to beat,'

'I have 3 grills, 2 Gas, and a Charcoal, all Webers. Great for burgers, but fish, is often best finished in the oven, thicker the fish the lower the tempature

Green Egg is big in this area, one of the promoters has a restaurant, but so does Weber..

Enjoy, everything is great on a grill....even Pizza..
Gave pizza a shot ^^^^
Attached Images  
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
I have no idea what either is.
When why reply?

@thelark,
I don't have either, just a Weber Bullet and an off brand kettle grill.

If you are thinking about the Kamado as result of it being on sale on Amazon? I'd go for it, however, an electric pellet is really fool proof. There is a Davy Crockett electric pellet for around $400.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:37 pm

I think the advantage of a pellet is that you can get more surface area for your buck. That's the only shortcoming of my BGE, wish I had more room! Otherwise, I recommend BGE all day - versatile, rock solid temp control, lifetime warranty.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by csufabel
When why reply?

@thelark,
I don't have either, just a Weber Bullet and an off brand kettle grill.

If you are thinking about the Kamado as result of it being on sale on Amazon? I'd go for it, however, an electric pellet is really fool proof. There is a Davy Crockett electric pellet for around $400.
By kamado I was just referring to the type - could be green egg, etc. For pellet was lookin at Yoder and Louisiana Grills. The Yoder seems exceptionally well built, but the Louisiana has a nice feature to turn down the temp once the meat hits a set internal temperature.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by andyh64000
I have a green egg (pretty much the same as the kamado) and love it. My favorite cooking method for steaks is reverse sear which is cooking at relatively low temp until internal is with 5-10 degrees and then cranking the egg of to ~700 degrees to finish it off. I don't think you can do that on a pellet grill. I also just like the more hands on feeling of the egg...starting the fire, choosing the wood to add, managing the temperature, etc.

I also have a Webber Nat Gas Grill which I still use if I need something quick and easy but using the egg is a lot more fun.

Here is a thread on the Green Egg that I started here (it was moved to dining buzz after a couple of days).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...r-similar.html
I knew there was a recent Omni thread - that explains why I couldn't find it. I figured I'd be using the gas grill for for steaks and other quick stuff.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:43 pm

Have had one for 7 years now and it's still in amazing condition. Have only had to change the gasket once. Love the rock solid temp control it gives you, very forgiving as well. The only thing I regret is not getting an XL instead of a large.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thelark
I knew there was a recent Omni thread - that explains why I couldn't find it. I figured I'd be using the gas grill for for steaks and other quick stuff.
The egg is amazing for Steaks. I still use the gas grill for burgers, dogs, corn, planked salmon, bacon wrapped prawns, etc. but any serious I meat I almost always use the egg.

My only regret...I got a large and wish I had gotten the XL.

Costco had a really good deal on the Kamado last month...499 for one that looked a little larger than my Egg and it came with pretty much everything. Not sure if it is still available.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:57 pm

As I'm clearly new to this, do I understand that kamado is the type, of which BGE is a brand of, or is BGE a variant or something different entirely?

Whichever direction I end up going in, I figure I should be able to get something decent at or below $1500 or so.

I'm hoping to find something that I don't have to babysit - I have 3 kids age 5 and under, so there's enough of that going on around here as-is.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By kamado I was just referring to the type - could be green egg, etc. For pellet was lookin at Yoder and Louisiana Grills. The Yoder seems exceptionally well built, but the Louisiana has a nice feature to turn down the temp once the meat hits a set internal temperature.
If you want a ceramic, look at a Primo since it is oval thus has a larger surface area than the round cookers.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by infamousdx
Have had one for 7 years now and it's still in amazing condition. Have only had to change the gasket once. Love the rock solid temp control it gives you, very forgiving as well. The only thing I regret is not getting an XL instead of a large.
Yep...that's my only regret as well.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:33 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
I'm a Weber Guy
Ditto.

Saturday's efforts

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 4, 2016 at 11:32 am
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: DL, AA
I use a Traeger Grill, (pellet) it is just great..The food tastes so much better than a gas grill and much quicker than charcoal
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

As I'm clearly new to this, do I understand that kamado is the type, of which BGE is a brand of, or is BGE a variant or something different entirely?

Whichever direction I end up going in, I figure I should be able to get something decent at or below $1500 or so.

I'm hoping to find something that I don't have to babysit - I have 3 kids age 5 and under, so there's enough of that going on around here as-is.
You don't have to babysit the egg. You can actually buy an add on temp adjuster for a couple hundred dollars but right now I just use a wireless thermometer and find the temperature remarkably stable.

I just picked up a whole beef tenderloin from costco that I am about to trim and rub for tomorrow...I'll use the reverse sear method .
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
I'm a Weber guy. Green Egg is out of my price range, and WSM is pretty idiot-proof. I've been using it for about 4 years now, for summer parties, Thanksgiving, etc. Almost everything I've pulled out of it has been wonderful.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
It is probably sacrilegious, but I've gone electric for smoking. I have no desire to babysit a smoker for 12+ hours to do a pork butt or brisket. I have a Masterbuilt 40" that I have modified with "The Mailbox Mod" found at Smoking Meat Forums.

The smoke capability of the Masterbuilt is pretty weak out of the box since it uses a tiny chip tray that simply sits above the electric heater. On a hot day the electronics may not call for much heat, so no smoke. The Mailbox mod removes the built in smoke tray and replaces it with an external mailbox and pellet tray. You simply cut a 3" hole in the mailbox (any metal box really) and plumb it into the chip tray opening with dryer duct. Not my picture, but you get the idea.

I went as far as building a rolling enclosure for mine in case of rain. It looks rather redneck, but isn't BBQ supposed to be? I am hoping it will insulate it enough to let me smoke in the winter without massive heat loss.

The beauty is I can roll it out into the back yard, plug it in, load it up, light the pellets and go to bed or work. I did my first brisket this week and it tasted great, but I pulled it a little too early (about 175 degrees) because it was taking longer than I anticipated and I was hungry so it was not as tender as it could have been. I should have started it before leaving for work instead of on my lunchtime stop at home.

I did a pair of pork butts a few weeks ago. "Fired" it up at 9 PM Friday night then went out. Came home and checked on it about 1 AM and the internal temps were climbing nicely and smoke was flowing fine so I went to bed. At 7 AM it was at the 160 degree stall point and stayed there for several more hours. By noon (15 hours in) they were up to 190 so I wrapped them in foil, put them in a cooler to rest and headed to the party they were intended for. I had not even opened the smoker in 15 hours. About 3 PM I went to pull them and they fell apart in my fingers. Got many compliments about how great the smoke flavor (apple) was, but not overpowering.

I'm still tweaking my rubs, but have the smoker part pretty well dialed in. I have found that the internal thermocouple in the smoker seems to be 15-20 degrees low, so to get a grate temperature of 225 I have to set it around 245. Incredibly easy cleanup too - I just throw a foil pan on the lower grate to catch drippings.

Enjoy being a slave to your wood and charcoal smokers. I'll be taking a nap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.