Consolidated "Starbucks - games, promotions, devaluations, et al" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Starbucks - games, promotions, devaluations, et al" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The check out / payment for a free item on the app today makes it clear that something is up.
I haven't tried it yet. What's it doing?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Just as long as they don't mess with the ability to rack up the bonus stars, I probably won't notice the devaluation much
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Just as long as they don't mess with the ability to rack up the bonus stars, I probably won't notice the devaluation much
Speaking of that, apparently the signup bonus on their credit card is now 6,500 stars. Not that anyone should get the card, mind you.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by kipper
I haven't tried it yet. What's it doing?
Different placement of the "redeem" button which seems like the amount of points you need can change depending on what you order, and you'll find out when you're about to points pay. Took a minute to find it - I almost cash paid for my overpriced specialty beverage because I didn't see the new thing - further up the screen.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Different placement of the "redeem" button which seems like the amount of points you need can change depending on what you order, and you'll find out when you're about to points pay. Took a minute to find it - I almost cash paid for my overpriced specialty beverage because I didn't see the new thing - further up the screen.
I just used mine today, and it did show under both items I ordered. Interesting.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Just got an email from Starbucks and it looks like the devaluation* will happen on April 16th.

https://www.starbucks.com/rewards/comingsoon

* For me, anyway--what used to only cost 125 stars now costs 150.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Just got an email from Starbucks and it looks like the devaluation* will happen on April 16th.

I do like the option of select "at-home" items for 400 stars.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Not really a fan of the changes. I usually redeem my rewards for the chicken and quinoa protein bowl salad. After I got the email from Starbucks I decided to go and and redeem some stars for a salad for lunch.

I really only go to SBUX now when I have a promotion that's generous enough to make sense and it fits into my day. I have a star dash this week, get 75 stars if I buy one breakfast sandwich. Now I don't think 1 visit constitutes a dash, but hey, gotta eat breakfast. Also it'll push me over the hurdle to get my final pre-devaluation reward.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw

Same here.
I also wonder how the line up - already a cluster at busy times - will be affected by people asking for an extra shot for points. Better yet, for points they don't have.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:29 pm

This is gonna be a knock on high price items I used to get like sandwiches and 20 shot espresso cups for when I make tiramisu.

However, it's better for my normal purchases since I only drink doppio espressos which are like $2.65 and will now cost me 50 stars.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:34 am

I like it for my usual order (coffee with 2 shots of espresso), as it was only 50 stars.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Got hit with the devaluation this morning - my usual drink is now 150 points, breakfast sandwiches 200 points. She gave me a card for 25 points to compensate. She was trying hard to sell the new program as a change I would like.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by paule123
Got hit with the devaluation this morning - my usual drink is now 150 points, breakfast sandwiches 200 points. She gave me a card for 25 points to compensate. She was trying hard to sell the new program as a change I would like.
Perhaps I should order inside tomorrow and complain...
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Starbucks takes cue from airlines, does a Devaluation Complication on rewards program

Effective today. They're making it more convoluted (rarely good for customers - rule of thumb), knocking out the elite tier, and changing the stars required for any beverage in the house from 125 to 150 (a 20% devaluation)

https://www.businessinsider.com/star...changes-2019-3

Apologies that the Business Insider article reads like a press release and they did a poor job of looking at changes critically. As a newspaper journalist in a past life, I can say that if I'd turned in an article like that it'd get kicked back to me as "too P.R." As they were saying in newsrooms even 120 years ago, "Don't let clever press agents cheat the advertising department."

But wait! There's more! Just as UA has lower-level awards for a small smattering of non-stop routes to/from hubs, Starbucks is letting you get a regular coffee at 50 stars. So that might be helpful to some. The really low 25-star awards like an espresso shot are just going to delay the lines.

They're still doing the free refills with the coffee and tea. And they've gotten rid of the aggressive expiration (sounds like....Delta!)

They have these promotions if you get their e-mails like 150 bonus stars if you go in 5 days in a row, but those tend to want a little much.

Overall it looks like they're trying to align revenue and rewards ever so more precisely so that you can almost say it's a 1% or 2% kickback. Which I know some people on the airline forums think is a great idea (always taking the side of the business and worrying about them, aren't we?)

The problem with that is that it becomes increasingly weak at incentivizing business that WOULDN'T OTHERWISE HAPPEN. The legacy airlines used to be great at that (arguably more so than any other business in history) but have trashed it so much that ULCCs have more-rewarding programs for most people and could capitalize on it if they only realized that.

And the real answer from Starbucks (and airlines) about incentivizing more business: We don't care! The real strategy was/is to run out competitors and THEN you can do the low-percentage rewards.

I'm more optimistic that Starbucks will have to change the program yet again within a year or so because they still have low barriers to entry (unlike airlines) and someone's always trying some new concept in a place like Portland or wherever that might catch on.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:19 pm

This is already being discussed in DiningBuzz.

That said, my coffee with two shots of espresso was free at 50 stars today, saving me 75 stars. I'm fine with that option. I also like the new redemption options for merchandise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.