FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   A new tipping concept: tipping on amount of time waiter spends on you (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1746617-new-tipping-concept-tipping-amount-time-waiter-spends-you.html)

WillCAD Mar 7, 2016 10:14 am

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 26296151)
That's absurd. How is someone supposed to get anywhere if they can't make the money to get there?

Welcome to the world.

College and graduate school are expensive. Are people supposed to take out loans and spend years paying them off? Or should they try and be self sufficient while they're studying?

Actually, YES, that is exactly what you're supposed to do. That's what student loans are FOR. And that's why the government has a low-interest student loan program.

A college education is an expensive proposition. It's not something that should be expected for free. We're not talking about a high school diploma (which almost everyone has); a degree is something that can change your entire life for the better, and which can significantly increase your contribution to society. But that only holds true if you earn it.

If you're not willing to put in the work to earn it, both academically and financially, then you lack appreciation for just how important and special a college degree is.

Being a doctor, an engineer, a lawyer, or a physicist is hard. Becoming one is hard, too. If you're not willing to do the hard work to become one, you won't be willing to do the hard work of being one, and you're not worthy to be one. But if you have the drive and dedication to go through the crucible to earn your degree, then you have the drive and dedication to use that degree in the manner in which it is intended - to contribute to society in a significant way.

One of the best things about restaurants is they are very flexible about the hours their employees can work. And like I keep saying, my coworkers work really hard because our very lives depend on it. I'm going to be a lawyer, they're going to be social workers, bankers, musicians and more but we all have to get there.

That hard work you're doing to earn your law degree isn't just about the money you're making, it's also about learning a work ethic. Work ethics are a lot like muscles - you have to exercise them to develop them, and if you stop exercising them, they atrophy.

If people could become doctors, lawyers, engineers, and physicists without the hard work, more people would do it, but fewer people would truly earn it, and you'd eventually get sub-standard doctors, lawyers, engineers, and physicists. I don't want anyone getting those degrees who hasn't truly earned them.

Again, if you think we're somehow beneath you because we're working to get ahead, or if you have a problem with how we're paid, please do us a favor and stay home.

Agreed. People who work service jobs, whether they're doing so to support a family or to work their way through college, are as deserving of respect as anyone else.

A person's job has nothing to do with their character or their worth as a human being. How people DO their jobs, and how they treat other people, is what defines their character, and what gives them worth as a human being.

DaveBlaine Mar 7, 2016 10:29 am

Well said WillCAD.

coachrowsey Mar 7, 2016 12:58 pm

Honestly I just don't get some of you people & attitudes toward wait staff, right CMK10 ? My youngest son is a engineer . He worked his whole time in college @ Starbucks at CLT airport graduated debt free with help of the job & couple other things. So reckon you look down on him also.

cblaisd Mar 7, 2016 1:19 pm

Closed for a cooling off period.

cblaisd
Co-Moderator, Dining Buzz