FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Transferring balance from a Canadian Starbucks card to American card. Possible? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1745882-transferring-balance-canadian-starbucks-card-american-card-possible.html)

cblaisd Feb 12, 2016 11:32 am

Transferring balance from a Canadian Starbucks card to American card. Possible?

I was given a couple of not-insignificant-in-value Starbucks cards. I added the cards to my iPhone app and then sought to transfer the balances to my Starbucks Gold card. I got a message that said since these were Canadian cards the balances could not be transferred.

Is there a workaround? If I had my local Starbucks convert the balances into physical cards (is that possible with Canadian card #s?) and then sought to transfer would that work?

ETA: If you find yourself in this position, I now know how to do it. I DM'ed the Starbucks Help Twitter rep and she confirmed that this can't be done online, but that she was happy to do it for me. The unexpected good news is that since these were in Canadian funds, after the exchange rate was factor in the cards were worth well more than the American dollar face value.

mike2200 Feb 12, 2016 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 26174407)
I was given a couple of not-insignificant-in-value Starbucks cards. I added the cards to my iPhone app and then sought to transfer the balances to my Starbucks Gold card. I got a message that said since these were Canadian cards the balances could not be transferred.

ETA: If you find yourself in this position, I now know how to do it. I DM'ed the Starbucks Help Twitter rep and she confirmed that this can't be done online, but that she was happy to do it for me. The unexpected good news is that since these were in Canadian funds, after the exchange rate was factor in the cards were worth well more than the American dollar face value.

You do know the Canadian dollar is worth $0.72 per US dollar?? Confused

cblaisd Feb 12, 2016 4:59 pm

Don't know, but the face value of the card was $50 and the amount transferred to my card was $69.68 :)

mike2200 Feb 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 26176032)
Don't know, but the face value of the card was $50 and the amount transferred to my card was $69.68

looks like you transferred $50. US to Canadian dollars, but if not it's a few more cups of Coffee on Starbucks

cblaisd Feb 12, 2016 5:25 pm

Nope, the error message I got on my app when trying to transfer the gifted Canadian card said "Cards in Canadian funds cannot be transferred to American accounts."

So, yes, it would appear that Starbucks gifted me :)

Beven12S Feb 16, 2016 6:09 am

Have you considered reporting the error in your favor to Starbucks?