Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Heating canned food and soup in your hotel room ?

Old Jan 18, 16, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Hi

is there an easy way to heat canned food or soup in your hotel room ?

I normally take a cheap travel immersion heater to heat water for drinks but you cannot use it for soup etc , is there a type you can put in a bowl of soup or stew and not just plain water ?

or is there was a simple small hot plate and cup / mug of about 16 oz that would be work ? ,

Years ago when I was in Japan the hotel had a very small hot plate and cup that boiled water in a few minutes , I never saw anything like that again and would really like something bigger to heat up my "comfort" food

Thanks for your ideas
Old Jan 18, 16, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by LAXlocal View Post
Hi

is there an easy way to heat canned food or soup in your hotel room ?

I normally take a cheap travel immersion heater to heat water for drinks but you cannot use it for soup etc , is there a type you can put in a bowl of soup or stew and not just plain water ?

or is there was a simple small hot plate and cup / mug of about 16 oz that would be work ? ,

Years ago when I was in Japan the hotel had a very small hot plate and cup that boiled water in a few minutes , I never saw anything like that again and would really like something bigger to heat up my "comfort" food

Thanks for your ideas
Based on a poorly worded search, Amazon showed me a lot of devices for heating food and beverage items in the car. A better search might turn up what your looking for. It feels like in-room microwave ovens are more and more common every day. I guess not where you're going?
Old Jan 18, 16, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I try to stay in places that have a microwave oven, and the tetra-pak/plastic pouch containers of soup are convenient, like these:

Don't know of any immersion heaters that could be used for soup.
Old Jan 18, 16, 3:13 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Amazon.com: Yazawa Travel multi cooker TVR21BK [Japan Import]: Pans: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: Yazawa Travel multi cooker TVR21BK [Japan Import]: Pans: Kitchen & Dining

Plenty around in this style. Sanyo used to make a branded version.
Old Jan 18, 16, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAN Pax View Post
Amazon.com: Yazawa Travel multi cooker TVR21BK [Japan Import]: Pans: Kitchen & Dining

Plenty around in this style. Sanyo used to make a branded version.
Thanks , not great reviews but the right idea.....

but reading reviews I think that the one in the Japanese Hotel was a induction element , like in an induction cooker that only heats metal. I wonder if they make small induction cookers
Old Jan 18, 16, 3:47 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold

If using a Tetra Pak product, put it in the water unopened and then use your normal water heater. You are essentially heating it sous vide in a Bain Marie. Just remember it takes longer to heat through than just to make the water boil. Heating to at least 165 degrees F is a good idea always.
Old Jan 18, 16, 6:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Rent an Airbnb instead
Old Jan 18, 16, 9:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Immerse the unopened can/tetrapak into the coffee pot full of hot water. This would take a while too and might only get it warm, not hot.
Old Jan 18, 16, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA MM
How about a small hotplate?
Old Jan 18, 16, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

If all else fails carry a few extra ziplock bags. Put the food you want to heat in the bag and squeeze out the air. Then put it in hot water (sink or tub of cooking for the family :-) Keep running the hot water. I will get hot.

But granola or power bars are a lot easier.
Old Jan 18, 16, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If you're traveling by car, just get an electric skillet.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-12-D...Black/27436248

Otherwise, most hotels will have a microwave you can use, either in the office or the breakfast area, if they don't have one in the room. I've got one of these soup mugs that works well for heating things up and packs in a suitcase.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/c...744|-|4pyNsMQw
Old Jan 19, 16, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your ideas ,

not traveling by car , and if I was I would probably bring my rice cooker , or put the soup can on the dashboard and "solar heat" it

The Hotels I stay in do not have an in room microwave normally , and being able to have something warm without much trouble would be nice ,

Part of this is when I am out of the country and want something "safe" to eat , I am not the foodie that will eat anything off a street cart , I have been sick too many times from bad food ,

The ziplock bags would work if I cannot find another simple solution...

Keep those ideas coming , Thanks again
Old Jan 19, 16, 8:39 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
I just purchased one of these: 110V - 220V Portable Electric Heating Lunch Box Meal Heater Blue
by EtechMart
Amazon.com: 110V - 220V Portable Electric Heating Lunch Box Meal Heater Blue: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: 110V - 220V Portable Electric Heating Lunch Box Meal Heater Blue: Kitchen & Dining

It's small enough to pack, with room for your cans and can opener inside during travel; it's dual voltage to 220v so can be used internationally with a plug adaptor, and it's got good reviews. I would place your canned food in another container inside the lunch box rather than heating the can. Food needs 2.5 to 3 hours to get really hot, 1 hour to just warm food, so I think it works like a crock pot. About $32 on Amazon.

Despite the older review that said this came with a foreign plug, mine came with an American-style 2-prong plug.

Last edited by BarbiJKM; Jan 19, 16 at 8:51 am Reason: add link
Old Jan 19, 16, 9:09 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Once, in absolute desperation very late at night, I recall propping an iron (hung in the room's closet with an ironing board) upside down in the partially open drawer of the bedside stand to heat one of those small metal cans (with ring pull top partially open) of soup.

I only recommend the practice in extremis ,if no alternatives are available.
Old Jan 19, 16, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
I try to stay in places that have a microwave oven, and the tetra-pak/plastic pouch containers of soup are convenient, like these:

Don't know of any immersion heaters that could be used for soup.
Same here. Makes me a fan of Springhill Suites, in particular, but there are plenty of hotel brands that accomplish this objective.

Search this Thread