Reload this Page >

Share Your Recipes

Share Your Recipes

Old Nov 19, 15, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Share Your Recipes

Ok, since the I need to vent thread got sidetracked w/ recipes, the thought was it might be good to share recipes in a separate thread (so the vent thread can stay vent).

I'll start (based on a recipe I found online & then adapted a bit - mine doesn't include onions for example). I get rave reviews on this one. BTW - if you can get fresh pancetta vs the stuff that's sealed it does make a difference.

SHARON'S TORTELLINI WITH PEAS, BROCCOLI AND PANCETTA RECIPE

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 lb pancetta, sliced thin & diced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 pound fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 to 1/2 cup pasta cooking water
1-1/2 cups broccoli florets
1/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese

Official directions:

Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add pancetta; cook until beginning to turn crisp, about 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add salt & pepper.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water 2 minutes less than package directions. Add peas and broccoli; cook 2 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Add pasta, peas and broccoli to pancetta mixture. Toss together gently. Add 1/4 cup (or more) reserved cooking water & cheese. Serve with additional cheese, if desired.

Serves 6 (Sharon's note: I think it serves more like 4). Per serving: 340 calories, 12g fat, 45mg chol, 17g prot, 41g carbs, 3g fiber, 850 mg sodium.

Sharon's tips & slightly different directions:

I use 1 regular size package of Bertoli 3-cheese tortellini, which you can get at any grocery store. It's usually in the cooler section near pasta/cheese.

You can use real garlic cloves, but I just use the already minced garlic cloves that are in a jar. 1 teaspoon equals 1 clove.

You can use fresh grated parmigiano cheese, but I use the fresh shredded Kraft parmesan or parmigiano reggiano 4 cheese in a jar or container. It's normally next to the Bertoli pasta or other pasta.

I start boiling the water & layout the ingredients. While the water heats up, I dice the pancetta & measure the peas/broccoli, and shredded cheese & have them handy.

Once I add the tortellini to the boiling water I turn the non-stick frying pan on medium heat & add the pancetta, stirring it regularly.

As the pancetta starts to crisp, perhaps 1/2-way I add the salt, pepper, and garlic cloves all at the same time to the frying pan & stir them in. I've found it doesn't take the 10-12 minutes the official recipe says, so do it this way.

At the 9 minute mark of the tortellini in the water, I add the peas & broccoli to the pasta boiling water & stir them in. I set the timer for 2 minutes, but this one I play a bit by ear. If the pasta doesn't look soft, I might go to 3-4 minutes. It's more a trial & error thing. Start w/ 2 minutes & then increase a minute or 2 (but not too much so the pasta isn't soggy).

Meanwhile, about this time the pancetta is usually done or close to done. Once it's really crispy (but not burned), I pour it into a large serving bowl. Once the pasta/pea/broccoli is done boiling, I drain most of it, saving about 1/4-1/3 cup of water, and then add the pasta/pea/broccoli to the large serving bowl. Then I add 1/4-1/3 cup of the water & 1/4-1/3 cup of the shredded parmesan cheese (I play it by ear on whether to use 1/4 or 1/3 cup of each), and mix thoroughly so that the pancetta, cheese, etc, thoroughly coats the pasta/broccoli/peas. You can have some extra shredded cheese for topping if you want.

Double the ingredients & get the family size Bertoli cheese tortellini if making for a larger group.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Nov 19, 15 at 7:08 pm
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Again, I get rave reviews on this one:

Tex Mex Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:

2 14-1/2 ounch cans reduced-sodium chicken broth (or just one of the big boxes that equals two)

1 14-1/2 ounce can beef broth (i used reduced sodium)

1 14-12 ounce can tomatoes, undrained and cut up (any will do, i get the ones w/ green chiles)

1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup - or if you prefer, green onion chopped up)

1/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper (or you can use frozen green pepper which is already chopped up)

4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound total - i go up to 1-1/4 lbs), cut into bite-size pieces

1 cup frozen loose-pack whole kernel corn

1 to 2 teaspoons chili power (i use 2 heaping teaspoons)

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (again, heaping)

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper3 cups tortilla chips, coarsely crushed (i use the tortilla strips, which are in the salad dressing section of meijer)

1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces - I just get an 8oz or 16 oz package of whatever is on sale - mexican 4 cheese, monterey jack)

1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks (optional - i always use; makes a difference for toppings)

Snipped fresh cilantro (optional - again, i always use; makes a difference; i chop it up)

Sliced fresh jalapeno chile peppers (i've never bothered w/ this)

Lime wedges (optional - i've never bothered)

Directions:

In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine chicken broth, beef broth, undrained tomatoes, onion, and sweep pepper. Bring to boiling. Add chicken. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add corn, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes more.

To serve, divide crushed tortilla chips among six soup bowls. Ladle soup over tortilla chips. Sprinkle with cheese. If desired, top with avocado, cilantro and sliced jalapeno peppers, and serve with lime wedges.

Sharon's note: I just put the toppings in various bowls & let my guests add whichever toppings they prefer.
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
Rob's AwesomeSauce Chicken Buffalo Dip

1 - 16 oz Can of Chicken
1 - Small package of crumbled Feta cheese
1 - Bottle of Buffalo Sauce
1 - Bottle of Ranch Salad Dressing
1 - Bottle of Bleu Cheese Salad Dressing
1 - Package of Cream Cheese
1 - 16 oz of Mozzarella Cheese (shredded, pick how fancy you want it)
1 - Package of bacon bits

Heat oven to 425º F or so. Combine the dressings, all of cream cheese, and half of the mozzarella, half of the bacon bits, and as much of the buffalo sauce as you'd like. The consistency should be a bit thicker than condensed cream of mushroom soup. Fold in the chicken. Pour into a casserole dish, and top with the rest of the mozzarella cheese, and bacon bits. Cook until cheese is browned on top. Serve with crackers, chips, things and stuff you like to dip.
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
Rob's Roasted Brussel Sprouts Dujour
(These are good, just trust me.)

Brussels Sprouts
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Optional Seasonings - Curry, Cayenne Pepper, or anything else you like. I've been using Old Bay recently

Heat oven to 400º F, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil (or don't, I couldn't care less, you're the one who is going to have to wash the dishes.) At some point before putting into the oven, you'll need to cut the bottom of the sprouts off, and peel the nasty leaves off. Cut each sprout in half, put into a bowl, coat gently with olive oil (they're cold now, but won't be in a few minutes), put onto the cookie sheet, add the salt and pepper, and other spices. Cook for about 10 minutes or so, remove from oven and move them about a bit, and cook for another 10 minutes or so. Until they're mostly golden brown, and the outer leaves are a bit crusty.
Old Nov 19, 15, 8:37 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
BTW - if you can get fresh pancetta vs the stuff that's sealed it does make a difference.
By definition, there is no such thing as fresh pancetta. But I know what you mean.

I get inspired by recipes and then riff off of them. A few of the perennial favorites:

Mark Bittman's spaghetti with fried egg is one of my favorite quick meals, but I kick it up a notch by rendering pancetta or bacon and then cook the garlic in the fat, then crumble the pancetta/bacon over the top.

On a somewhat similar theme, I love Serious Eat's brussels sprouts, kale and potato hash, but also use rendered bacon/pancetta fat instead of the oil and then toss the bacon/pancetta in at the end.

Rick Bayless's chicken salad tacos are fantastic, though I recommend pureeing the dressing (first sentence in step 1) to ensure the chipotle peppers are fully incorporated.

Because you won't use the entire can of chipotle peppers in adobo, you should serve the tacos with Bayless's mushroom studded tortilla soup.
Old Nov 19, 15, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
Because you won't use the entire can of chipotle peppers in adobo, you should serve the tacos with Bayless's mushroom studded tortilla soup.
I usually freeze leftover chipotle peppers from the can. I just dump them in a zip lock freezer bag and then just break off a bit whenever I need some. I have even grated the frozen adobo sauce into dishes...makes it real easy because you are right---that's a lot of hot in that can! It lasts a while in my house.
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
My recipe for a Long Island Ice Tea

1/2 ounce Bombay Saphire Gin
1/2 ounce Ketel One Vodka
1/2 ounce 1800 Tequila
1/2 ounce Cruzan white rum
1/2 ounce Grand Marnier

Top with sweet & sour mix and Coke made with real sugar. Everyone loves my long island ice teas and I think the real sugar Coke makes a difference.
Old Nov 20, 15, 6:29 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post

1/2 ounce 1800 Tequila
1/2 ounce Grand Marnier

Top with sweet & sour mix and Coke made with real sugar. Everyone loves my long island ice teas and I think the real sugar Coke makes a difference.
Now we are talking

I can get into drink recipes ^
Old Nov 20, 15, 7:11 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Shrimp and Oyster Perloo - a delicious recipe courtesy of www.saveur.com

Another one pot meal (well I guess two pots as I made some quick shrimp stock from the shrimp shells). I also did not use 25 oysters, I used 9. I also did not use the oyster liquor as I purchased my oysters already shucked, so I used shrimp stock. Not only was this a wonderful dinner but with a poached egg on top it made for a delicious breakfast this morning.

2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄2 lb. country ham, finely chopped
1⁄2 lb. kielbasa, cut on the diagonal
into 1⁄4"-thick slices
2 medium onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded,
and chopped
1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
3 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tsp. dried thyme
1⁄2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and freshly ground
black pepper, to taste
3 medium tomatoes, peeled,
seeded, and chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup long-grain rice
3⁄4 cup chicken broth
25 medium oysters, shucked (about 9 oz.),
1⁄2 cup of their liquor reserved
35 large shrimp (about 1 1⁄2 lbs.), peeled
5 scallions, chopped, to garnish

1. In a 6-qt. pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add ham and kielbasa and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add onions, peppers, jalapeños, parsley, thyme, and cayenne and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid from the tomatoes thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in rice, chicken broth, and oyster liquor. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until rice is almost cooked through, about 20 minutes.

2. Stir in shrimp and oysters. Cover and continue to cook on medium-low heat until the shrimp are bright pink and the edges of the oysters have curled, about 10 minutes. Season with salt. Serve perloo sprinkled with the chopped scallions.
Old Nov 20, 15, 7:19 am
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by corky View Post
I usually freeze leftover chipotle peppers from the can. I just dump them in a zip lock freezer bag and then just break off a bit whenever I need some. I have even grated the frozen adobo sauce into dishes...makes it real easy because you are right---that's a lot of hot in that can! It lasts a while in my house.
I do that, too. Still, it's more likely to go to waste once it lands in the freezer, so I like to use as much as possible when I first open the can.
Old Nov 20, 15, 8:41 am

I put the open can in the ice box, wait until it dries out and then throw it away.
Old Nov 20, 15, 2:42 pm

You left out the Bacon!

Originally Posted by WIRunner View Post
Rob's Roasted Brussel Sprouts Dujour
(These are good, just trust me.)

Brussels Sprouts
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Optional Seasonings - Curry, Cayenne Pepper, or anything else you like. I've been using Old Bay recently

Heat oven to 400º F, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil (or don't, I couldn't care less, you're the one who is going to have to wash the dishes.) At some point before putting into the oven, you'll need to cut the bottom of the sprouts off, and peel the nasty leaves off. Cut each sprout in half, put into a bowl, coat gently with olive oil (they're cold now, but won't be in a few minutes), put onto the cookie sheet, add the salt and pepper, and other spices. Cook for about 10 minutes or so, remove from oven and move them about a bit, and cook for another 10 minutes or so. Until they're mostly golden brown, and the outer leaves are a bit crusty.
Old Nov 20, 15, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
My cornbread recipe

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
4 eggs
1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
1 medium to large onion, diced
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers, drained
1 (4 ounce) can of chopped jalapenos, drained
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
½ cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal (I use ½ cup white and ½ cup yellow)
4 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Lightly grease 9x13 inch baking dish.

2. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in cream corn, onions, chiles, jalapenos, and cheese.

3. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to wet mixture; stir until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into center of the pan comes out clean.
Old Nov 21, 15, 5:24 pm

Love it 🍸

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post

1/2 ounce 1800 Tequila
1/2 ounce Grand Marnier

Old Nov 21, 15, 5:35 pm

Kale and Spinach Artichoke Dip

2 bags of spinach or one of each. ( 8-16 oz)
1 pack of cream cheese
1 cup of parmesan cheese (grated)
2 cups of any other type of shredded cheese or grated.
1 can of artichoke hearts

Cook spinach and or kale first. While that is cooking, add every thing in a pot ( leaving some cheese for the top)

Stir and mix until all melted. Then add spinach and or kale to the mixture.

Pour into a baking tin and add the remaining cheese on top.

With the stove on 350 ,bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: