Joe's Crab Shack Drops Tipping [UPDATE: Policy now abandoned]

Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA/DL/UA

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b045bf3decfb76

Joe’s Crab Shack is now the first major restaurant chain to start paying workers a living wage.

The seafood chain will experiment with dropping tipped-wages in 18 of it stores, the head of its parent company said.

"Servers, hosts, bartenders are paid now higher, fixed, hourly wages," Ignite CEO Ray Blanchette said, according to CNBC. "It's expected to result in an improved team atmosphere, a significant reduction in turnover and greater financial security for the employees."
FINALLY! ^^^^

Down with tipping!!!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Hate chain restaurants and would never have considered JCS as an option, unless drug by a group where I had no say. I will now patronize them in support of their no tipping policy.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I'm guessing that menu prices in those 18 restaurants will go up to accommodate for the higher wages?

If so, that will be the interesting part of this.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by tkey75
Hate chain restaurants and would never have considered JCS as an option, unless drug by a group where I had no say. I will now patronize them in support of their no tipping policy.
Food snob or not, this is where it has to start at a chain restaurant for the movement to get any traction

would it be better at a larger chain, yes, but this is a decent start in my opinion
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The only one near me closed down a few years ago. It had a children's playground next to the outdoor patio. My kids dislike seafood, so we would feed them dinner at home, then go to JCS to have dinner while the kids played.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bitburgr
I'm guessing that menu prices in those 18 restaurants will go up to accommodate for the higher wages?

If so, that will be the interesting part of this.
I read yes, about 12-15%. The sticker shock / behavior change aspect is what will be interesting to gauge

JC Penney tried to do away with coupons to disastrous results. People like coupons, people are used to lower price and tip.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:25 pm

If the Omaha store is one of the 18, I'd give it a try. Since I usually tip more than 18%, it could be a win.

I still won't eat out often though...
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
It's a start. The tipping culture instead of a living wage has to go.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:51 pm

I don't mind tipping. I wish Charlotte still had a JCS so I could check it out.

It would be more impactful if Applebees/Chilis et al would try this too, but they compete on price so much. Applebees did ban smoking nationwide before that was cool so maybe they'll tackle this too. Then the mom and pop places can try.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It will be interesting to see if they will actively refuse tips from those who will still feel the (compulsive) need to tip.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
One could argue that this is "forced tipping" since one will have no choice but to pay 12%-15% more regardless of the quality of service. In addition, the servers will have no incentive to provide good service.

Not sure why the anti-tippers are happy about this.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
One could argue that this is "forced tipping" since one will have no choice but to pay 12%-15% more regardless of the quality of service. In addition, the servers will have no incentive to provide good service.

Do you really think tipping has any positive effect on service? I've been in the industry as a bartender, manager and now as an owner for nearly 20 years and can tell you it does not. being a regular at a place or an area and being a bad tipper will get you bad service, but that is it.

The phrase that everyone in the bar industry knows is "tits for tips". An ugly troll of a man providing excellent service will receive lower tips then a beautiful young woman with big boobs providing bad service. Tipping long ago stopped connecting to service standards and moved onto some odd zone of randomness based mostly on factors that are completely out of staff's hands.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:02 pm

As ROCAT has said, I almost never vary my tip based on the quality of service. Sometime in the last year, when our service was truly terrible, I left a very small tip and a long note about the issues we experienced. Usually, though, the service is fine or good and I tip in the 18 - 20% range. It's a bigger issue at places like coffee shops and food trucks, but to me our current tipping culture is just a way for two customers to pay different prices for the same thing.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Joe's Crab Shack Becomes First Major Chain To Drop Tipping

As I noted in the other thread, servers in Australia are generally not tipped, and yet I have few to no complaints about the service I've received at any number of restaurants I've patronized there. They seemed quite motivated to provide good service without me needing to slip them some extra at the end.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:03 pm

Oh, you mean like in all these other countries where they routinely spit in your food and bang the plates on the table? You know, the countries (most of the rest of the world) where tipping is not expected and in places even frowned upon?

What would be their incentive? Same one I have (I am a consultant) - it's called employment. They will not be around for long if they provide substandard service, tips or no tips.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.