Wiki Posts
Search

Eating food from one restaurant in another restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor

Just throwing this out there (and yes, I have done it).

And I'm only talking about places like Panera, Qdoba, 5 Guys where food is equally likely to be eaten in as it is ordered to go.

I go to Panera and get something to go.
Colleague goes to Qdoba and eats in where I join him/her.
Neither restaurant is particularly crowded. I don't get a refill from Qdoba.

How cool / uncool is this?
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bitburgr
Just throwing this out there (and yes, I have done it).

And I'm only talking about places like Panera, Qdoba, 5 Guys where food is equally likely to be eaten in as it is ordered to go.

I go to Panera and get something to go.
Colleague goes to Qdoba and eats in where I join him/her.
Neither restaurant is particularly crowded. I don't get a refill from Qdoba.

I'll be interested to see the responses.

We have Chipotle and McDonalds next door here in town. And my girlfriends kids like Mickey Ds. My daughter and I grab Chipotle and eat at McDs. Sometimes, I have my daughter buy her drink at McDs....
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

Restaurants here had to put up signs prohibiting this because groups would have multiple people bringing in items from somewhere else, taking up large tables at lunch time in particular and yet only 1 or 2 people are actually buying food from there.

It is kind of obnoxious to have a bag of food from a direct competitor in someone's restaurant.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I have particular preferences and have been known to carry food from one restaurant to eat in another. Mrs BamaVol likes McDonalds and I despise their food. I'll discretely bring something I like so we can eat together. It was more pronounced when the kids were young. We were usually divided on what we wanted so pleased everyone and sat together where we ordered the most. I don't remember being hassled anywhere.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

find a park or eat at your office or someone's house. Panera or Qdoba isn't a food court. seats and tables are for paying customers.
And while some may now say "We aren't taking up any more space than if I was eating in alone," you are. A solo customer eating in will take less time on average than someone gabbing while eating with another. And what if you use the restroom?
Would you bring Panera food to a dinner party someone was hosting?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bitburgr
Very uncool IMO.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:10 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I've done this...in China. Though I would often order a drink anyway, the waiters never seemed to care.

Shucks, whenever I went to a restaurant that didn't serve something Chinese, I'd notice the staff chowing down on fish soup, bones and stir-fries.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I'm not sure I would describe McD's and those other places as restaurants but, semantics aside, it's absolutely not acceptable to use an establishment's facilities in that way.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:21 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I think it's uncool and disrespectful. Seating in a restaurant is a benefit for customers. If you're not a customer, you shouldn't be eating there.

Presumably you're both mature adults, so you have three options:
1. Compromise on a restaurant decision.
2. Each of you eats alone at the restaurant of your choosing.
3. You find a public place where you can eat together.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I think it's uncool and disrespectful. Seating in a restaurant is a benefit for customers. If you're not a customer, you shouldn't be eating there.

Presumably you're both mature adults, so you have three options:
1. Compromise on a restaurant decision.
2. Each of you eats alone at the restaurant of your choosing.
3. You find a public place where you can eat together.
Is it really any different than occupying a seat while a companion eats? I've done this plenty of times: I've already eaten, I'm not hungry, I don't like the food there, I'm planning a big dinner later, watching my calories, etc. No one's ever asked me to leave the restaurant while I sit and converse with my companion. Is it really necessary to order something? How many times would my companion have eaten elsewhere if I'd said, no I'm not eating there. The sale of 1 meal is better the sale of zero meals.

In my case, I'm not talking about bringing outside food into fancy, expensive restaurants or even chains with table service, just fast food.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:26 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Is it really any different than occupying a seat while a companion eats? I've done this plenty of times: I've already eaten, I'm not hungry, I don't like the food there, I'm planning a big dinner later, watching my calories, etc. No one's ever asked me to leave the restaurant while I sit and converse with my companion. Is it really necessary to order something? How many times would my companion have eaten elsewhere if I'd said, no I'm not eating there. The sale of 1 meal is better the sale of zero meals.

In my case, I'm not talking about bringing outside food into fancy, expensive restaurants or even chains with table service, just fast food.
That pretty much sums up what I was going to post.

It would be different if it was, say, a party of 6 with 5 people bringing food in from outside.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:24 pm

The only ways I could see doing this would be with restricted diets, finicky small kids, or perhaps in exceptional circumstances like stops on school road trips where one restaurant is chosen as the meeting place and kids who want something else are expected to bring it back to that point.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:34 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol

Personally, it is different because you're thumbing your nose that the restaurant where you're sitting by eating food sold by a competing restaurant.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
If I were hosted dinner by someone in his own home, it would be staggeringly rude to bring my own food to eat. It's no different with restaurants.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by dolcevita
The only ways I could see doing this would be with restricted diets...
I was the new guy on a project a few years ago. Team dinner at a steak house (40-50 people). Guy sitting next to me had kosher food delivered...and alot of it.

Last edited by bitburgr; Nov 11, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.