Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Eating food from one restaurant in another restaurant

Eating food from one restaurant in another restaurant

Old Nov 2, 15, 3:47 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Posts: 4,728
Eating food from one restaurant in another restaurant

Just throwing this out there (and yes, I have done it).

And I'm only talking about places like Panera, Qdoba, 5 Guys where food is equally likely to be eaten in as it is ordered to go.

I go to Panera and get something to go.
Colleague goes to Qdoba and eats in where I join him/her.
Neither restaurant is particularly crowded. I don't get a refill from Qdoba.

How cool / uncool is this?
bitburgr is offline  
Old Nov 2, 15, 4:10 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Florida
Programs: Starwoods Gold
Posts: 54
Originally Posted by bitburgr View Post
Just throwing this out there (and yes, I have done it).

And I'm only talking about places like Panera, Qdoba, 5 Guys where food is equally likely to be eaten in as it is ordered to go.

I go to Panera and get something to go.
Colleague goes to Qdoba and eats in where I join him/her.
Neither restaurant is particularly crowded. I don't get a refill from Qdoba.

How cool / uncool is this?
I'll be interested to see the responses.

We have Chipotle and McDonalds next door here in town. And my girlfriends kids like Mickey Ds. My daughter and I grab Chipotle and eat at McDs. Sometimes, I have my daughter buy her drink at McDs....
Grundygirl is offline  
Old Nov 2, 15, 4:46 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 9,909
Eating food from one restaurant in another restaurant

Restaurants here had to put up signs prohibiting this because groups would have multiple people bringing in items from somewhere else, taking up large tables at lunch time in particular and yet only 1 or 2 people are actually buying food from there.

It is kind of obnoxious to have a bag of food from a direct competitor in someone's restaurant.
wrp96 is offline  
Old Nov 2, 15, 6:26 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ECP
Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Posts: 22,313
I have particular preferences and have been known to carry food from one restaurant to eat in another. Mrs BamaVol likes McDonalds and I despise their food. I'll discretely bring something I like so we can eat together. It was more pronounced when the kids were young. We were usually divided on what we wanted so pleased everyone and sat together where we ordered the most. I don't remember being hassled anywhere.
BamaVol is offline  
Old Nov 3, 15, 5:46 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,467
Eating food from one restaurant in another restaurant

find a park or eat at your office or someone's house. Panera or Qdoba isn't a food court. seats and tables are for paying customers.
And while some may now say "We aren't taking up any more space than if I was eating in alone," you are. A solo customer eating in will take less time on average than someone gabbing while eating with another. And what if you use the restroom?
Would you bring Panera food to a dinner party someone was hosting?
Adam1222 is offline  
Old Nov 3, 15, 6:34 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 16,743
Originally Posted by bitburgr View Post
How cool / uncool is this?
Very uncool IMO.
MaxBuck is offline  
Old Nov 3, 15, 10:10 am
  #7  
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: @BuildingMyBento
Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Posts: 5,187
I've done this...in China. Though I would often order a drink anyway, the waiters never seemed to care.

Shucks, whenever I went to a restaurant that didn't serve something Chinese, I'd notice the staff chowing down on fish soup, bones and stir-fries.
BuildingMyBento is offline  
Old Nov 3, 15, 10:21 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London & Sonoma CA
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Posts: 8,003
I'm not sure I would describe McD's and those other places as restaurants but, semantics aside, it's absolutely not acceptable to use an establishment's facilities in that way.
lhrsfo is offline  
Old Nov 3, 15, 11:21 am
  #9  
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 12,267
I think it's uncool and disrespectful. Seating in a restaurant is a benefit for customers. If you're not a customer, you shouldn't be eating there.

Presumably you're both mature adults, so you have three options:
1. Compromise on a restaurant decision.
2. Each of you eats alone at the restaurant of your choosing.
3. You find a public place where you can eat together.
chgoeditor is offline  
Old Nov 3, 15, 1:37 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ECP
Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Posts: 22,313
Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
I think it's uncool and disrespectful. Seating in a restaurant is a benefit for customers. If you're not a customer, you shouldn't be eating there.

Presumably you're both mature adults, so you have three options:
1. Compromise on a restaurant decision.
2. Each of you eats alone at the restaurant of your choosing.
3. You find a public place where you can eat together.
Is it really any different than occupying a seat while a companion eats? I've done this plenty of times: I've already eaten, I'm not hungry, I don't like the food there, I'm planning a big dinner later, watching my calories, etc. No one's ever asked me to leave the restaurant while I sit and converse with my companion. Is it really necessary to order something? How many times would my companion have eaten elsewhere if I'd said, no I'm not eating there. The sale of 1 meal is better the sale of zero meals.

In my case, I'm not talking about bringing outside food into fancy, expensive restaurants or even chains with table service, just fast food.
BamaVol is offline  
Old Nov 3, 15, 6:26 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 52,574
Originally Posted by BamaVol View Post
Is it really any different than occupying a seat while a companion eats? I've done this plenty of times: I've already eaten, I'm not hungry, I don't like the food there, I'm planning a big dinner later, watching my calories, etc. No one's ever asked me to leave the restaurant while I sit and converse with my companion. Is it really necessary to order something? How many times would my companion have eaten elsewhere if I'd said, no I'm not eating there. The sale of 1 meal is better the sale of zero meals.

In my case, I'm not talking about bringing outside food into fancy, expensive restaurants or even chains with table service, just fast food.
That pretty much sums up what I was going to post.

It would be different if it was, say, a party of 6 with 5 people bringing food in from outside.
exerda is offline  
Old Nov 3, 15, 7:24 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: BNA
Posts: 1,798
The only ways I could see doing this would be with restricted diets, finicky small kids, or perhaps in exceptional circumstances like stops on school road trips where one restaurant is chosen as the meeting place and kids who want something else are expected to bring it back to that point.
dolcevita is offline  
Old Nov 4, 15, 11:34 am
  #13  
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 12,267
Originally Posted by BamaVol View Post
Is it really any different than occupying a seat while a companion eats? I've done this plenty of times: I've already eaten, I'm not hungry, I don't like the food there, I'm planning a big dinner later, watching my calories, etc. No one's ever asked me to leave the restaurant while I sit and converse with my companion. Is it really necessary to order something? How many times would my companion have eaten elsewhere if I'd said, no I'm not eating there. The sale of 1 meal is better the sale of zero meals.

In my case, I'm not talking about bringing outside food into fancy, expensive restaurants or even chains with table service, just fast food.
Personally, it is different because you're thumbing your nose that the restaurant where you're sitting by eating food sold by a competing restaurant.
chgoeditor is offline  
Old Nov 9, 15, 9:03 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London & Sonoma CA
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Posts: 8,003
If I were hosted dinner by someone in his own home, it would be staggeringly rude to bring my own food to eat. It's no different with restaurants.
lhrsfo is offline  
Old Nov 11, 15, 7:08 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Posts: 4,728
Originally Posted by dolcevita View Post
The only ways I could see doing this would be with restricted diets...
I was the new guy on a project a few years ago. Team dinner at a steak house (40-50 people). Guy sitting next to me had kosher food delivered...and alot of it.

Last edited by bitburgr; Nov 11, 15 at 12:20 pm
bitburgr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread