FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Things you can do with instant ramen (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1716771-things-you-can-do-instant-ramen.html)

IceTrojan Oct 14, 2015 2:04 pm

Things you can do with instant ramen

Do anything with your instant ramen noodles that aren't in the directions? These are my favorite ways to prepare:

- Using pho broth instead of water/soup base (I mentioned it here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...o-you-pho.html, and having some right at this very moment)

- With spaghetti sauce

- Using some cream of mushroom soup+extra milk instead of water/soup base

- Using half the water so it all boils away, THEN adding the soup base powder

- In a cheese sauce, a la mac and cheese

- Stir-fried with eggs, soy sauce, garlic, and touch of butter.

MAN Pax Oct 14, 2015 3:04 pm

Throw in a can of tuna + season with Sriracha.

I also cook with minimum water and let it boil down to next to nothing - though I add the flavour powder at the start.

braslvr Oct 14, 2015 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 25564948)

- Using half the water so it all boils away, THEN adding the soup base powder

- Stir-fried with eggs, soy sauce, garlic, and touch of butter.

Have done both of those. Also I cook the noodles, then toss them into chow mein type stir fry dishes at the last minute.

lhgreengrd1 Oct 16, 2015 5:15 pm

If you mean the instant ramen in a flat package rather than a foam cup, if you flatten one end of the package, it makes a good door stop. And doesn't even need to be cooked to serve that function.

Doc Savage Oct 16, 2015 5:22 pm

Fry up some finely cubed spam. Cook the soup as usual, adding the spam near the end of the cooking process. Add finely chopped green onions, bean sprouts, and sriracha sauce to taste. Serve with Trader Joe's house brand beer.

You learn a lot of important things as a grad student.

redheadtempe33 Oct 17, 2015 5:18 pm

I have frequently thrown in multiple items to make it more filling/appetizing. Use broth instead of water, throw in frozen vegetables, throw in shrimp/fake crab meat, etc.

Ramen on its own is ... well not so great, but it is a pretty good starting point.

IceTrojan Oct 18, 2015 12:03 am

Originally Posted by redheadtempe33 (Post 25579579)
Use broth instead of water,

Oh yes! Excellent suggestion. I love cracking open a can of chicken broth, stir in some Korean-style bean paste or perhaps some hoisin sauce as a soup base, and add in an egg.

MikeFromTokyo Oct 18, 2015 5:07 am

Many tasty things can be done with the Korean brand Shin Ramen and the Thai brand Mama. I would not want to eat it all the time, but it's great in a pinch or even as good hangover food...

IceTrojan Oct 18, 2015 10:03 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 25580987)
Many tasty things can be done with the Korean brand Shin Ramen and the Thai brand Mama. I would not want to eat it all the time, but it's great in a pinch or even as good hangover food...

Shin is great... Shin Black is fantastic, albeit pricey for instant noodles. I usually stock up when they become available at Costco.

crabbing Oct 18, 2015 3:14 pm

basic ramyun recipes:

1. cook it with frozen vegetables. peas and corn seem to work the best.
2. use vegetable broth instead of water. i didn't like it when i made it with chicken broth, but that could just be personal taste.
3. kimchi jjigae! just remember to use the ramyun noodles only, not the seasoning packet or the dried vegetables.

Darren Oct 19, 2015 7:23 am

Ramen burger

Surprisingly tasty, unsurprisingly guilt-riddenly wrong.

Also, use your boil-out method but instead add some curry powder, frozen mixed veg (peas, carrots, etc.) and some curry leaves.

HKTraveler Oct 19, 2015 10:04 am

What about turning them into gnocchi like what David Chang did?

perthflyer Oct 20, 2015 9:46 am

Not with ramen but with instant mi goreng instead, I've used it as a pizza topping a few times before.

Made the mi goreng up, then put on a pizza dough spread with hoisin sauce. Added coriander, bamboo shoots and prawns/duck and put in the oven to cook. The cooked noodles dry out a bit and add a nice crunch to the pizza.

edcaya Oct 21, 2015 12:02 pm

Cook the ramen and drain off most of the liquid. Toss the noodles in soy sauce, peanut butter, and sriracha, then top with scallions and toasted sesame seeds (optional).

ExpatSomchai Oct 21, 2015 12:07 pm

Use Thai Mama to make Mama Heng (Dry noodles). The Pork one works best IMO. Cook the noodles in water, remove and drain, add sliced meat and veg (coriander and spring onions typically) and the remaining seasoning, mix and serve.

Fast and Deeeeelicious (Sep)