Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Online restaurant review sites: TripAdvisor or Yelp or ?? Where do you post?

Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

I post a few restaurant reviews on Tripadvisor, and even fewer on Yelp.

Last week, I was talking to a 21 year old about this. He told me that everyone he knows posts on Yelp. He said it's his go to site for reviews. This got me thinking. This forum has posters of all ages. Can you tell us where you post reviews?

dh
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I have posted quite a few on Tripadvisor but look at both sites when searching for reviews of restaurants I've never eaten at before. I'm 61.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
TripAdvisor or Yelp. Where do you post reviews?

I personally do yelp for restaurants and traveladvisor for sights, hotels, and travel. It makes sense to me for some reason.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I use Yelp rather than TripAdvisor. While both are very unreliable, I feel that TA is so full of fake reviews it's not really worth looking at.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat

I typically post on TA for my travels, including some restaurants while on the road, and infrequently on Yelp for more local spots. I'm 61. I'm not sure one site gets more or less valid reviews. I always assume a certain percentage of fake on both. Normally by the way they're written.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:09 pm

I post reviews and look up things on Tripadvisor. I don't even Yelp at all. I do look at Urbanspoon for restaurants. I'm 46.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:16 pm

Look up stuff on TripAdvisor mainly, though even then I don't use it for much. Write my reviews there. Yelp is pretty much America only, though it does come up in Google a lot in America and is more useful for some things (haircuts from TripAdvisor recommendations? lol). Don't see it used much at all in almost any of the other places I travel.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I use Yelp heavily and TA rarely. I got into Yelp years ago as a Silicon Valley-ite when it was hot & new amongst techies. I preferred it to TA because I am much more frequently interested in reviews for everyday restaurants and stores than hotels or tourist activities. Both sites have some of each, obviously, but Yelp is way better for everyday restaurants and shops. Finally, I stick with Yelp even for hotel reviews-- TA's forte-- because Yelp's algorithms automatically filter out the "one hit wonder" reviews that clutter TA's listings and make it a chore to get anything worthwhile from.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:51 pm

I post a lot to Trip Advisor, rarely Yelp. I' m pretty good at filtering reviews - I like to read reviews of places I've been to see how it squares with my experiences. I trust Yelp even less than Trip Advisor, probably because of all the stories I've read how they hold up business owners to advertise with them or they punish them somehow in the rankings. I'm 64.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

flyertalk?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:16 pm
Used to be highman123

Foursquare is pure gold if you ask me. Worldwide coverage and awesome recommendations.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by MightyTravels
Foursquare is pure gold if you ask me. Worldwide coverage and awesome recommendations.
Really??? I never heard of it so I just looked up Panama City, where I live. Olive Garden and Bonefish top the list in an area with hundreds of restaurants. While I am not biased against chains, both of those local places are seriously flawed. I have eaten a dozen times between the two over the last couple years and finally sworn off both in the last 3 months after one too many bad experiences.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:25 am

It's pretty North American-centric, but Chowhound's forums are a good place to go.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:39 am

I'm a big Yelper. I think I've only posted on TA a handful of times.

My rule is:
US restaurants = Yelp
International restaurants = TA
Tour reviews = TA.

I rarely review hotels.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:43 am

Yelp for food or restaurants. I don't post reviews on Tripadvisor, I just browse the reviews for destinations I am interested in going. I also check a number of other sites as well, one of them being wikitravel. I love wikitravel because it's basically a free guide to places and gives you more inside info, then I go from there and do more research.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.