FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   How often do you eat out? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1698142-how-often-do-you-eat-out.html)

gfunkdave Jul 27, 2015 4:13 pm

How often do you eat out?

I imagine it's far more common when traveling. When traveling, I eat out every meal. But we eat out a lot at home too. I like cooking but it's just so much easier (and Portland has such good restaurants), and I guess I'm used to it from living in NYC (I do miss Seamless!). Probably eat dinner out 4-6 nights a week.

b1513 Jul 27, 2015 4:28 pm

About 4 times a week. Hate cooking but like eating.

DaveInLA Jul 27, 2015 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by b1513 (Post 25181497)
About 4 times a week. Hate cooking but like eating.

Yeah, I hear you. My wife and I would eat our 4x/week and order take out the rest of the time. We only started cooking recently. I don't mind cooking, but hate cleaning.

braslvr Jul 27, 2015 5:08 pm

When not traveling, about one meal per week. Almost always breakfast or lunch.

Idontliketheyankees Jul 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Not often, maybe once a week or so.

obscure2k Jul 27, 2015 6:39 pm

I have the restaurants in my neighborhood come to me via www.doordash.com
They are not exactly ubiquitous but there is a great selection in my area so I have the luxury of not dealing with parking and restaurants which don't take reservations and I don't have to change clothes. I think Doordash is great.

mbece Jul 27, 2015 7:00 pm

Waylte often than I should. Even when not traveling, I eat out for at least a meal a day.

Shameful, I know. I don't necessarily go to restaurants but live pretty close to the flagship whole foods which I treat pretty much like my pantry.

bigshooter Jul 27, 2015 7:02 pm

That whole foods is awesome though. You can eat there and pretend it's cooking at home :)

xooz Jul 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Got me curious.... my Quicken file says my wife, son and I spent money at dining establishments exactly 690 times in the last 12 months. Includes the McDonalds breakfast up to nice dinners at nice restaurants. So we spent something on dining more than that as it does not include cash expenses. I could divulge the average amount but suffice it to say it's between $15-20.

If dining ads start popping up when I log on, I will now be worried...

BamaVol Jul 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Two to four times a week when not traveling. Always Friday dinner & Saturday lunch. Often Sunday dinner and one other weeknight. I eat lunch at my desk during the week and breakfast at home.

And I love to cook and Mrs BV will clean up behind me even if I use every pot and pan in the house. But meals out are about conversation.

CMK10 Jul 27, 2015 9:02 pm

Too much this summer. I'm working in Downtown Raleigh and there are so many good restaurants and always someone willing to go get lunch. Less so once school starts back up, probably once or twice a week normally, twice that in the summer.

Flaneurs Jul 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Mrs. F and I try to do a "date night" at least once every couple of weeks. Other than that we are eating in. Lousy food choices in our neck of the woods anyway. When we go on vacation we eat out all the time.

indianwells Jul 28, 2015 1:07 am

Very rarely, maybe 8-10 times a year. I can't help getting frustrated when paying a large premium for food I can cook better myself in the comfort of my own home. I also know exactly what's in it.

Cloudship Jul 28, 2015 7:59 am

I used to eat out at lunch every day. Just usually fast food or a pizza joint, but not at home anyways.

About 8 months ago I made a significant switch to eating lunch at home (it is just doable for me if I plan really well and have everything prepared already). It has helped my diet anyways. Interestingly, I haven't noticed the impact on my budget as much as I would have liked - although my dining budget is way down, it simply got offset to my grocery budget.

As for dinner I aim for once a week. But the last month or so I have usually ended up closer to three nights a week out.

Aventine Jul 28, 2015 8:12 am

Lunch all the time and dinner 2-3times a week.