Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Am I the last American not in love with coconut oil?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors

Early last year when I arrived back in NY from 18 months Australia (largely ignoring US goings-on outside of foreign policy), I noticed that this strange tub of gunk was being used heavily by my family's households as cooking oil. By and large, they fall into that grouping of coastal-dwelling Americans with advanced degrees and decent health outcomes who navigate the world fortified by a take-away salad from the organic grocer's deli counter in one hand and a Starbucks "creation" in the other.

For this set, coconut oil is a wonderfood: it's delicious, it's vegan, contributes to weight loss, helps prevent diabetes, is heart healthy, and can be used for applications varying from a salve for eczema to a tooth cleaner.

Coming out of the south pacific (where the coconut-heavy diet of Islanders doesn't exactly have a great outcome with obesity and diabetes), I was sceptical.

Where the f is the evidence? Most of what I find seems to be a set of sources stuck in an echo chamber dominated by dubious research, "wellness" quacks, and entities with links to the coconut industry. Research for qualified doctors and universities quoted in the UK, US, and NZ is, at best, cautionary.

The more I look into it, the more I am convinced that this stuff is little better than a bottled heart attack.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Many health organizations advise against the consumption of coconut oil due to its high levels of saturated fat, including the United States Food and Drug Administration,[2] World Health Organization,[3] International College of Nutrition,[4] the United States Department of Health and Human Services,[5] American Dietetic Association,[6] American Heart Association,[7] British National Health Service,[8] and Dietitians of Canada.[9]

Coconut oil contains a large proportion of lauric acid, a saturated fat that raises total blood cholesterol levels by increasing both the amount of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol. Although this may create a more favorable total blood cholesterol profile, this does not exclude the possibility that persistent consumption of coconut oil may increase the risk of cardiovascular disease through other mechanisms, particularly via the marked increase on blood cholesterol by lauric acid. Because the majority of saturated fat in coconut oil is lauric acid, coconut oil may be preferred over partially hydrogenated vegetable oil when solid fats are used in the diet.
Granted, this is from Wikipedia ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil ), but this sounds like just another fad. The stuff is 91% saturated fats.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
It's simply the latest BS, a convenient and accessible fad which attracts and excites a certain breed of "educated' consumers, actually quite gullible and naive.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

I find it disgusting honestly, not a fan of anything coconut overall.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I find it disgusting honestly, not a fan of anything coconut overall.
Yeah, I tried the coconut water when that fad began.... Meh....
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: United MP
Nope, you are not alone.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Nope. The cloth diapering community is all about this stuff. Women are putting it on their baby's butts every diaper change. It's revered as the miracle butt elixir. Rash? Coconut oil! Poop? Coconut oil! Tuesday? Coconut oil!

Ugh! I'm so tired of hearing about coconut oil.

So try to keep a straight face next time you see someone cooking with it. Some woman in your city is slathering stuff from the same jar on her baby's nether regions. Yum!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
We give it to the dog. I'm not sure why. I tried a spoonful and it had no flavor. I had been hoping for a taste of coconut. The dog can have the rest.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by BamaVol
We give it to the dog. I'm not sure why. I tried a spoonful and it had no flavor. I had been hoping for a taste of coconut. The dog can have the rest.
Hope Fido doesn't have a heart attack...
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Hope Fido doesn't have a heart attack...
There are more fun ways to set oneself up for a heart attack than coconut oil for sure .
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
not a fan of anything coconut overall.
I'll take an almond joy or a hostess snowball!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cloth diapering, left coaster with advanced degree here.

Don't get it.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by annerj
I'll take an almond joy or a hostess snowball!
Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Cloth diapering, left coaster with advanced degree here.

Don't get it.
Your tribe must consider you a heretic.

I mean, don't you know you have to smother the kids undercarriages with coconut oil after a diaper change? Studies* show that infants anointed with CO are three times more likely to attend elite kindergartens than non-anointed infants.

* Quackenbush, J. "Coconut Oil and Childhood Educational Attainment." (2011) American Journal of Coconut Studies. Coconut Importers' Association of North America, in conjunction with The University of Phoenix.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:00 am
Suspended

It's like stevia, the all-natural wonder sweetener being hailed as the new saccharin/aspartame.
It's tastes horrible,particularly in a nice cup of tea.I'd rather take half a spoonful of sugar and keel over 10 seconds earlier than I'm meant to at some stage in the future than consume that stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.