Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Am I the last American not in love with coconut oil?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by mrgreen
Modern cavemen use oldschool safety razors...the process above convinced me to switch to those badboys and ditching those overpriced plastic gilette razors...
Does the coconut oil make a good shaving lather?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Does the coconut oil make a good shaving lather?
Actually you can use it as an aftershave balsam alternative
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Actually you can use it as an aftershave balsam alternative
Be careful, you'll have BamaVol's dog following you around licking your face.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Be careful, you'll have BamaVol's dog following you around licking your face.
Not to mention the flies.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
When trying to find a high quality product, I often use the keyword paleo in Google in addition to the product name. People on paleo forums and blogs mostly recommend amazing high quality stuff beyond typical industry bs, even when it comes to non-food stuff.

coffee paleo
tea paleo
razor paleo
shampoo paleo
try "paleo condom" and see what someone tries to sell you.

Modern cavemen use oldschool safety razors...the process above convinced me to switch to those badboys and ditching those overpriced plastic gilette razors...
I have a beard. I'm more paleo than you. I win.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the problems with the scientific community relative to nutrition is that its recommendations have changed so many times over the years that we're left wondering, essentially, what in the world should we do?

The whole paleo movement (of which coconut oil worship seems to be a symptom) is pseudo-science (much like the largely discredited Pritikin and Atkins regimes), as is most of the whole "nutrition industry" that companies like GNC exploit. The problem is, when actual science has yielded such sketchy results, can pseudo-science be much worse?

My solution has become to eat what I please, and to try to find scholarly articles to show my wife that support those decisions. If I find articles that say my decisions are poor, of course, I either ignore them or actively find ways to hide them from wifey.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium

I've never been one to jump on the health food bandwagons. people have known the pros and cons of certain foods for years and coconut oil is no different. It's great for popping popcorn on a commercial popper.

In terms of health foods and vitamins, I have had good luck with papaya enzyme tablets as antacids, but am not sure how much of that is the placebo effect.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Amelorn
I could not have selected a better example of a self-referential echo chamber than marksdailyapple.com and the paleo community more generally. So many justifications behind their food philosophy seem to come from an imagined past rather than empirical evidence (like the mountains of evidence against saturated fat).

This is out of NZ: Coconut oil seen as health hazard
While not completely paleo myself, I find that the paleo community has one thing right... eat real, whole food.

While not a fan of coconut oil myself (I hate the taste of coconut) I would much rather have my food cooked with something like coconut oil than the FDA recommended heart healthy canola oil which is basically like poison...
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
I've never been one to jump on the health food bandwagons. people have known the pros and cons of certain foods for years and coconut oil is no different. It's great for popping popcorn on a commercial popper.

In terms of health foods and vitamins, I have had good luck with papaya enzyme tablets as antacids, but am not sure how much of that is the placebo effect.
Mrs BV swears by organic apple cider vinegar. I cannot choke down a single sip so it's a good thing I don't suffer from reflux/gerd/heartburn.

Originally Posted by derelict
While not completely paleo myself, I find that the paleo community has one thing right... eat real, whole food.

While not a fan of coconut oil myself (I hate the taste of coconut) I would much rather have my food cooked with something like coconut oil than the FDA recommended heart healthy canola oil which is basically like poison...
I tried a little taste of the coconut oil (why oil? it's solid.) and there was no flavor. I don't know what the dog sees in it.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by derelict

Get MCT Oil
It's basically a Coconut Oil extract
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:56 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I tried a little taste of the coconut oil (why oil? it's solid.) and there was no flavor. I don't know what the dog sees in it.
Get it to about 80 degrees and see if it's still a solid.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
Get it to about 80 degrees and see if it's still a solid.
Centigrade? I live in Fl. It's 78 in my kitchen right now and the stuff looks like Crisco. It's soft but I think it might take another 20 degrees to melt.

Okay, the package says 76. Not true.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:36 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Centigrade? I live in Fl. It's 78 in my kitchen right now and the stuff looks like Crisco. It's soft but I think it might take another 20 degrees to melt.

Okay, the package says 76. Not true.
Ours is half-liquid, half-solid, in our 76 degree kitchen FWIW.

I use it in some smoothies (those needing fat--others I just add whole milk to, or a handful of walnuts), and for making popcorn.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Because "coconut fat" doesn't have the same ring to it. At warmer than room temps it is an oil but, since it is mostly saturated fats it turns solid at a lower temp than other oils. Similar to bacon or beef fat but with out the wonderful flavor.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by Clint Bint
Fortunately booze still seems to be good for you. My doc certainly drinks plenty of the stuff so it must be.

An Alcoholic Is Someone Who Drinks More Than His Doctor. ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.