Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Keurig Alternatives? (pod-type, single serve machines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keurig Alternatives? (pod-type, single serve machines)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:16 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I haven't paid attention to the cost of the Nespresso pods. I know you can buy off brand pods in the grocery stores here in the UK which should be cheaper. The downside of Tassimo is the bar code system that tells the machine what to produce is proprietary so no other pod manfacturers are able to sell generic Tassimo pods.
In the US, the genuine Nespresso ones run 70 cents or so on average (differing a bit based on variety and quantity purchased IIRC). We unfortunately don't have many good, drinkable generic alternatives since Keurig is the leader here and Nespresso is a niche product for us.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by exerda
In the US, the genuine Nespresso ones run 70 cents or so on average (differing a bit based on variety and quantity purchased IIRC). We unfortunately don't have many good, drinkable generic alternatives since Keurig is the leader here and Nespresso is a niche product for us.
I had a Nespresso back in 2010 and it tasted pretty bad. Since I like cappuccino's , I ended up by all kinds of milk whipping and frothing addons that did not really work.

I gave up cappuccinos for the convenience of Keurig of few years ago and have not found anything that compete with the convenience, availability, price, and variety that it offers. Just yesterday I used my Keurig to make coffee before work and hot chocolate to drink while studying computer science in the evening , which went well with the blizzard we were having at the time.

Think of what tools that I would need to use to make both if I was not using a Keurig.

However, if there is a reasonably priced matchine that I could just pop a capsule into, pour some water and milk in, press a button and out popped a frothy cappuccino , I would snatch it up in a second.

Until then, I think that we are best off with the Keurig.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by TheGooch
I had a Nespresso back in 2010 and it tasted pretty bad. Since I like cappuccino's , I ended up by all kinds of milk whipping and frothing addons that did not really work.

I gave up cappuccinos for the convenience of Keurig of few years ago and have not found anything that compete with the convenience, availability, price, and variety that it offers. Just yesterday I used my Keurig to make coffee before work and hot chocolate to drink while studying computer science in the evening , which went well with the blizzard we were having at the time.

Think of what tools that I would need to use to make both if I was not using a Keurig.

However, if there is a reasonably priced matchine that I could just pop a capsule into, pour some water and milk in, press a button and out popped a frothy cappuccino , I would snatch it up in a second.

The Tassimo system has a wide variety of drinks, at least in Europe. Not sure what's available in North America.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
The Tassimo system has a wide variety of drinks, at least in Europe. Not sure what's available in North America.
I second the Tassimo... Its cappuccinos and espressos taste pretty close to those from my Delonghi espresso maker, and it's way more convenient.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by TheGooch

This is probably OT for this thread but...

I've seen re-furbed super-automatics for about US $1K. Fill it with beans, water and milk and it will make you a cappuccino. It's as simple as can be, and even the clean up is automated. The only manual cleaning I do is to pull out the brew group and rinse it once a week and descale once every few months.

I pay $13/lb for coffee at a local roaster which gives me about 50 espressos, for a cost of 26 cents/cup.

Depending on how much you pay for your pods, and how many cups you drink per day, at some point, the super-auto will pay for itself.

I guarantee there isn't a pod out there that compares to freshly roasted and ground coffee. Even if you're filling the pods yourself, you still can't get proper espresso from the K-machine - it doesn't have the requisite pressure.

I've used Senseo, Tassimo, and Nespresso (in that order), and after buying a real espresso machine, I'm not going back.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by work2fly
This is probably OT for this thread but...

I've seen re-furbed super-automatics for about US $1K. Fill it with beans, water and milk and it will make you a cappuccino. It's as simple as can be, and even the clean up is automated. The only manual cleaning I do is to pull out the brew group and rinse it once a week and descale once every few months.

I pay $13/lb for coffee at a local roaster which gives me about 50 espressos, for a cost of 26 cents/cup.

Depending on how much you pay for your pods, and how many cups you drink per day, at some point, the super-auto will pay for itself.

I guarantee there isn't a pod out there that compares to freshly roasted and ground coffee. Even if you're filling the pods yourself, you still can't get proper espresso from the K-machine - it doesn't have the requisite pressure.

I've used Senseo, Tassimo, and Nespresso (in that order), and after buying a real espresso machine, I'm not going back.
Tassimo latte comes out at about a buck per cup. I drink one per day. It would take nearly 4 years for the $1k espresso machine to become economic.

I'm not poo-pooing the idea, just giving an idea as to the investment needed.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
If you're in the US, Best Buy has the Nespresso machines on sale this week with a $30 to 50 gift card with purchase. Their lowest priced is $112 plus a $30 gift card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.