Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Tasty snack foods you can't get at home

Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:13 am
Original Poster

What are your favorite snack foods you associate with a particular place/country? I'm not talking main courses (not like paella in Spain) but the convenience store/bakery snacks that you make a beeline for whenever you're there.

For example, I always eat Turo Rudi -- chocolate covered cottage cheese bars that taste so much better than they sound -- in Hungary.

Also, I haven't been on Flyertalk too long, so let me know if this is a repeat or should be posted elsewhere
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club

Biltong in South Africa. Various m&m flavours in the US. Pockies in Japan.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Do they still have those hot snack vending machines on Dutch stations? Mmm reheated mystery meat
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by exilencfc
Do they still have those hot snack vending machines on Dutch stations? Mmm reheated mystery meat
Yup, my favourite! Croquettes, bitter ballen, bami ballen, nasi schijven, etc.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:46 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Febo! And not the type our US flying cousins will be familiar with...

UFOs, we used to call them - "unidentifiable fried objects".
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:24 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Pretty much everything in Japan...and even if I don't like it, it was probably worth it for the packaging alone.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I miss egg sandwiches on malted bread with watercress, and quorn sausage rolls and quorn scotch eggs. They are #1 on my list jointly when I go to the UK!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Pretty much everything in Japan...and even if I don't like it, it was probably worth it for the packaging alone.
Agreed!

I also have to mention the green tea Kit Kats in Japan... found a store that sold them when I went back to the US and I was beyond excited.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:25 am

In Scotland, Lays has Roasted Chicken Potato chips. So delicious! I emailed the company when we got home. They don't sell them in USA, but they sent me four small bags as a gift. My boss at work had no idea how special they were and she ate one. LOL

susan
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:48 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Pineapple Lumps from New Zealand. A friend of mine introduced me a couple of years ago and I'm hooked.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:35 pm

Tyrell's Salty and Sweet Popcorn. Love that stuff. I am not a sweets person, but it's a nice treat while in Europe. I have found some in the US that is pretty close.

What I really want is some Schweppes Limon drink.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I really like SilberQuelle apfelgespritz. Other brands don't compare. Too bad you can only buy it in the Tyrol.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:05 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I like the Starbursts in the UK so much more than the US. I didn't like them on my first visit as a kid, but now I can't get enough of them to bring home.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I often find myself craving the tuna mayo onigiri from convenience stores in Japan. Does anyone know where you can find these in the US? I tried H-Mart, but no dice.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:06 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sky303
I often find myself craving the tuna mayo onigiri from convenience stores in Japan. Does anyone know where you can find these in the US? I tried H-Mart, but no dice.
Sure...Japanese supermarkets.

Mitsuwa Marketplace has scattered locations in the US, mostly in SoCal; other smaller one-off Japanese markets; and Hawai'i.

Though I thought I've seen them at Korean supermarkets in the NYC-area too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.