Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favourite Chinese Foods?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2020, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Sawdust...hmm, since you're one of the long-time China folks, perhaps it WAS sawdust in some cases. OTOH, I had as fresh as possible stingray in 惠州. Stay away from those blood clams, though.

As for my favorite seafood anywhere, Hokkaido, Manado (Indonesia), and Lima come to mind. What did you really enjoy in Cape Cod, that even expense account-types in Shanghai don't fulfill?
1. The worst fish I've ever encountered in my life was in Zhangjiagang on the Yangtze River north of Shanghai. It is one of only ~4 ports in China that is permitted to transport toxic chemicals. During my lunch there, I was surprised that none of the locals wanted to eat the fish. In any event, as previously stated, I am not fond of fresh water fish, regardless of whether or not the water is actually toxic
2. As cliche and boring as it might sound, on Cape Cod, we tend to prefer cod. But, the fish markets frequently receive more interesting catches, and they never disappoint
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:56 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I used to love Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, but many restaurants are putting peas and carrots into it, so unless I know the restaurant, I now shy away from it. Now, my favorite is Garlic Eggplant either alone or with Beef or Shrimp. I really like the flavor as well as the softness of the Chinese Eggplant. Also I like my rice to be some form of fried rice either with Pork or Shrimp, white rice is boring with no flavor.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Also I like my rice to be some form of fried rice either with Pork or Shrimp, white rice is boring with no flavor.
That's the point of the white rice, to be consumed in a small bowl along with whatever else you may be eating on top of it in small portions. There are typically another 5000mg of sodium delight in the meal for flavo(u)ring the rice.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:36 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Back to the topic, whatever happened to Martin Yan?
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
That's the point of the white rice, to be consumed in a small bowl along with whatever else you may be eating on top of it in small portions. There are typically another 5000mg of sodium delight in the meal for flavo(u)ring the rice.
The fried rice topic got me thinking to how much more I like the Americanized versions than what's on offer here. Part of the reason is probably because I'm American, but I also think that when Chinese people came to the US, they hit a home run on this front. Sure, the American variation is probably far less healthy, but it's a product that I go out my way to order when I'm back there. I almost always eat plain white rice here. As an aside, most of my Chinese friends don't eat much rice any more.

Sticking with the American Chinese food topic, I'm reminded of 核桃虾 (honey walnut shrimp*). Some restaurants in Hong Kong serve it, but I've yet to find one that holds a candle to the restaurants that offer it in Palo Alto and Mountain View -- higher quality ingredients across the board.

*The shrimp are usually referred to as prawns on menus; this is rarely the case, but I don't care as long as the taste is good
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
He’s still around as far as I can tell. I was going to go to one of his cooking classes that he ran, I think in Guangzhou, maybe 9-10 years ago, but it had been closed. He’s getting older, in his early 70’s. As far as I can tell he still has his Yan Can Cook show. I enjoyed watching it in the late 80’s and early 90’s.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Regarding white rice in China, I learned in 1991 that rice has a negative connotation. Just shows that all around the world, people feel a stigma about low wealth. Sigh.

I always overate white rice because I loved it with entree food. It took me ages to comprehend that too much rice isn’t a good thing :-)

in San Francisco’s Westfield mall that has a Bloomingdale’s, there’s his restaurant MY China. I enjoyed it a few years ago and can’t recall if there’s a reason why we’ve not returned.

Last edited by gaobest; Jun 24, 2020 at 11:20 am
Old Jun 24, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Does anyone have a good recipe for Cantonese style egg flower/drop soup?

I am going to give this one a try, but wonder if there is something better out there.

http://coupleeatsfood.com/chinese-egg-drop-soup-recipe/
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by LapLap
I found that thread very useful. What I didn’t expect was that it would be the cold side dishes at Quanjude that were going to truly blow me away. I’m still drooling over the baby cucumbers with flowers still attached, the platter of tender, thin, spicy bamboo shoots and the mound of green topped tofu squares.

Would love to try my hand at the tofu, but never found out what it was called. Was a hit with my daughter, who just couldn’t shovel it in fast enough. Does anybody know the name of this style of tofu?
Those would be Spinach tofu, usually served with some kind of braising sauce and mushrooms. A recipe for that dish is below:
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quirrow
Those would be Spinach tofu, usually served with some kind of braising sauce and mushrooms. A recipe for that dish is below:
That’s a weekend project I’ll be tackling very soon (just replaced a broken blender so the soy milk is an achievable goal). Seeing what they’re made of, I get why my kid ingested so many of them.
Thank you so much! 👍👍👍

Seeing that recipe in this video shows it is the same dish

EDIT TO ADD
So quirrow helped me crack this puzzle I’ve been dabbling at intermittently for years.
What I seem to have learned is that tofu made with steamed soy milk and eggs is called “Jade Tofu” and that isn’t necessarily about the colour. So by adding 翡翠豆腐 into Baidu Images I finally found some rogue examples.

Jaimito Cartero and gaobest like this.

Last edited by LapLap; Jun 26, 2020 at 5:12 am
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Chinese food served in restaurants usually have superfluous names to 'elevate' its standing. But if you are not looking to self-make the tofu, most Asian supermarkets would have egg tofu which is in cylindrical form. They can be deep fried, pan fried or just placed in soup for a quick meal.

LapLap likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 12:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Spicy cold sesame noodles with peanut sauce, celery and chicken. It was my favorite growing up and sadly the place I used to get it has been closed for 17 years but I keep trying to find a dish as good.

Anything involving Peking duck but especially the traditional style with pancakes.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
A major actor for commercials. Some examples:

Old Jul 3, 2020, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Sweet for Martin Yan
i feel that his global recognition didn’t occur until the 21st century and that he was more regional in the 20th. I guess it was the case for most chefs.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
Sweet for Martin Yan
i feel that his global recognition didn’t occur until the 21st century and that he was more regional in the 20th. I guess it was the case for most chefs.
I always found him SO annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.