Reload this Page >

Favourite Chinese Foods?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favourite Chinese Foods?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
(OT comment only - need a break from trying to read & stay updated on MH370 news both in US and from oversea direct news sources, very sad & depressing - thoughts & prayers and moment of silence)

When in places like HKG or CAN, order a Chicken Chow Mein and you get chicken pan-fried noodles with green vegetables (雙面黃)

In small towns USA, order a Chicken Chow Mein - especially from those takeout places and you get chicken & chopped celery & onions, maybe cabbage, with steamed rice served on the rice or as the bottom/base, and, no pan-fried noodles. Most FT'rs know better to fall these Chop Suey variants (雜碎.) It's not that they are awful to eat, still better than those cold boxes sold in Y - nice & hot, usually cook to order and cheap. If all else failed, Beef or Chicken w. Broccoli on rice - can't go wrong (sometimes, they even have the Chinese B.)

In most major US (not sure about Canada) Chinatowns, your results varied - if you are Chinese/Asian looking, order Chicken CM will get your the pan-fried ones usually. If you are "non-Chinese/Asian looking" - you will most likely get the funny looking one with rice (some places served it with lo mein style noodles) or waiter/server taking order will ask you which one you really meant. Some will ask & make sure you wanted the pan-fried ones or rice variant.

When I used to work in DCA, PF Changs were basically the go-to places if someone is picking up the charges on his/her expense accounts. But, we mostly go to "Mr. K" on K Street - pretty decent Peking Duck. XLB in New York are often better than the average ones sold & eaten in Shanghai, our local Suzhou tour guide said it has to do with the quality of the pork available to the establishment & prices paid - and, swine flu wasn't a problem that year when we're on a group tour. Keys to excellent Har Gow are not just in the choice of the shrimp but in the thinness of the skin, that it doesn't stick to the steamer as you try to pick it up with the chopsticks or fork.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Mar 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:26 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by satman40
PF Chang is American Chinese food....not the real stuff...
Thanks for bringing this up.

1) I hope you not implying that one can't find 'real' or 'authentic' Chinese food in the U.S.

2) American Chinese food is the real thing to many, (just as a lot of Italian food served in the U.S.). While not common for me to do, still to this day I will order a sweet/sour shrimp or General Tso's chicken from a local Chinese takeout. These two dishes are certainly Americanized yet they are a taste I jones for sometimes.
Originally Posted by tide
The US is home to one of the largest overseas Chinese populations so one can argue that American Chinese food is a legitimate variation of Chinese food.
yes
Originally Posted by tide
Besides PF Changs just tastes good
if that is what floats your boat then by all means!
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Where do I start?
AGREED !

but some of my faves:

dry chili lamb (I believe Hunan preparation) or most any Chinese lamb dish
most any Chinese eggplant dish I've had
Peking Duck (or any Cantonese roast meat)
most wok done greens
dim sum
most fish I've tried

I would say I lean more towards Hunan preparations if I had to choose one style of Chinese cuisine.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:53 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

When in China, I tend to go mostly pescetarian - save for the occasional Xinjiang 羊肉串 and 饺子- so broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower, and eggplant feature heavily on the daily menu.

Eggplant in particular is usually a winner, what with 擂辣椒茄子 (mashed with green chilies, from Hunan) being one of my favorites dishes in any cuisine, in addition to other Hunan-style preparations. However, it has equally been a downer, for anytime the menu lists sugary preparations of eggplant, such as yuxiang or often hongshao, I scurry to find another dish.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
most fish I've tried
You've inadvertently provided me with an entry point into a sub-topic that I'm quite sure many of as expats in Asia have been itching to get off of of our chests: "Least Favorite Chinese Foods"

I grew up on Cape Cod, and my mom was good friends with the owner of a local fish market. As such, I had already developed an affinity for high quality fish by the time I was 5. The usual preparations were olive oil only or something from the NYT Cookbook or Julia Child. If you have excellent fish, that's how you cook it (though, Nobu Matsuhisa gets an honorable mention just because his style is cool).

In China, most of the fish I consume (out of politeness) comes from an extremely polluted river, and there is no helping its cause from the start (i.e. dress it up however you please, and it is still inedible).

But, even in cases in which the fish itself is good, after you cover it with strange sauces, and put it on a Lazy Susan, it devolves into an unpleasant experience. (I won't even get into the bones/chopsticks issue.)

Having gotten the fish thing out of the way, here are my least favorite Chinese foods:

1) Sea Slug (if you're ever invited to a banquet in Dalian, you will end up with one of these --plated, so there's no way to escape-- in front of you)
2) Moon Cakes (your friends will invariably make them for you if you happen to be in China during September, and you will insult them if you don't eat them... I return the favor with an avacado )
3) Zhongzi (similar to moon cakes because holiday item, but not quite as bad)
4) The head/eyes of your Peking Duck (reserved for the most important person at the table)
5) Pig intestines
6) Those round glutenous things that show up in hot pots
7) Anything "imperial"
8) Abalone
9) Shrimp/prawns (impossible to eat without making a mess, and it usually doesn't taste especially good)

Apart from items 2 and 3, you'll usually be wasted on 白酒 when trying the rest so it's not the end of the world... but, #1 is extremely challenging to put down in any state of mind.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Sticking to the favourite of many other posters, for me Szechuan is the leader of all Chinese kitchens:

Crispy Szechuan Beef (Gan Bian Niu Rou Si) http://chinesefood.about.com/od/szec...echuanbeef.htm

Spicy Szechuan Eggplant http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fragrantpork_89290
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by nrr
In general most Szechuan items IF prepared correctly. Too many (most?) restaurants/take out places think that making something very spicy is all that is required...it should be spicy and you should be able to taste the food that is being spiced.
Completely agree. Luckily the farmers market near me sells bulk szechuan peppercorns that I can use to make my own mapo tofu and other things with that nice, slow, tingly-numbing heat.

Most of the other folks have called out my other favorites, too - xiao long bao, char siu fan among the top.

One of my biggest favorites not already mentioned isn't Chinese, I don't think (my family background is spread across Malaysia/Singapore/China, and we ate lots of "hybrid" things my mom put together when I was younger). Anyway, laksa noodles with fish flakes - incredible if done correctly!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Ooo this is a tasty thread!

Myself... I'll take whatever CX is serving in 2A... or all of what they are serving

But most dumplings and noodles, roasted meats, and yes chicken feet. Mmm! Most of my memorable experiences come from Chinatowns throughout the USA- and beyond. Always am a sucker for meats hanging in the window
Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Released travel wallet from some old receipts, foud one from The Red Pepper in Hong Kong from last month. This is a Sichuan/Szechuan favourite I'm returning to whenever in HK. From the dishes we had together, sampling everything, my favorites from this visit was Fried Squid with Hot Garlic Sauce and Boiled Spicy Sliced Beef Sichuan Style.

And again: Hello all you endorphines!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by satman40

PF Chang is American Chinese food....not the real stuff...
PF Chang is American food, just like General Tso's chicken available on chinese take out across America
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: UA
Most of my favorites have been mentioned (several times) -- xiaolongbao, street eats, etc.

some of my favorite Chinese foods are breakfast street foods -- jianbing (煎饼 -- my non-Chinese speaking family members call it a Chinese breakfast burrito), a good baozi 包子 (preferably one w/out cardboard filling!), and a warm soymilk 豆浆 -- the breakfast of champions.

Something that tends to agree with Western palates is 第三鲜 (disanxian) -- a mix of potatoes, eggplant and bell peppers in a sweet sauce -- I think it is primarily a northern Chinese thing, so you probably won't find it everywhere. It's not my favorite, but several westerners that I have been with in China (my family included) have really liked it.

There are few things better on a cold winter's day in Xi'an than 牛肉拉面 (Beef noodle soup) -- China isn't really known for having outstanding noodle soups (that award probably goes to SE Asian countries such as Vietnam and Thailand), but it is always fun to watch people make the noodles.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Let me first say that graphic ads for nail fungus cures do not belong in DiningBuzz. Ewww.

I don't know if there is an authentic version of sesame chicken. I try it in any American Chinese restaurant with mixed results. But one place around the corner from where I used to work in Charlotte made it witrh some heat and a lot less sweetness. It was never on the menu, always a special that showed up every other week or so. Word would get around, though because the place seemed to do twice the normal business when it was featured.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by moondog
You've inadvertently provided me with an entry point into a sub-topic that I'm quite sure many of as expats in Asia have been itching to get off of of our chests: "Least Favorite Chinese Foods"

I grew up on Cape Cod, and my mom was good friends with the owner of a local fish market. As such, I had already developed an affinity for high quality fish by the time I was 5. The usual preparations were olive oil only or something from the NYT Cookbook or Julia Child. If you have excellent fish, that's how you cook it (though, Nobu Matsuhisa gets an honorable mention just because his style is cool).

In China, most of the fish I consume (out of politeness) comes from an extremely polluted river, and there is no helping its cause from the start (i.e. dress it up however you please, and it is still inedible).

But, even in cases in which the fish itself is good, after you cover it with strange sauces, and put it on a Lazy Susan, it devolves into an unpleasant experience. (I won't even get into the bones/chopsticks issue.)

Having gotten the fish thing out of the way, here are my least favorite Chinese foods:

1) Sea Slug (if you're ever invited to a banquet in Dalian, you will end up with one of these --plated, so there's no way to escape-- in front of you)
2) Moon Cakes (your friends will invariably make them for you if you happen to be in China during September, and you will insult them if you don't eat them... I return the favor with an avacado )
3) Zhongzi (similar to moon cakes because holiday item, but not quite as bad)
4) The head/eyes of your Peking Duck (reserved for the most important person at the table)
5) Pig intestines
6) Those round glutenous things that show up in hot pots
7) Anything "imperial"
8) Abalone
9) Shrimp/prawns (impossible to eat without making a mess, and it usually doesn't taste especially good)

Apart from items 2 and 3, you'll usually be wasted on 白酒 when trying the rest so it's not the end of the world... but, #1 is extremely challenging to put down in any state of mind.
+1 on mooncakes.

And then there are:

Fresh brains in hotspot
Grilled scorpion and assorted bugs
Blood cake.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Let me first say that graphic ads for nail fungus cures do not belong in DiningBuzz. Ewww.
What in the world is in your search history???
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Back to the favorites side:

For me it's always comfort food.

Simple noodle shops where they make their own noodles. My favorite is a duck noodle place near the French concession in Shanghai. Great taste and value.

Good hot pot places. Preferably small places with fast turnover

In Taipei a night market food that is a .......ized Japanese/Chinese mashup. Okonomiyaki (grilled seafood, cabbage and noodles) topped with - of all things canned tuna, canned corn and fried eggs. Sounds wakeful, tastes great. ;-)
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
any form of dumpling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.