Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What condiments go on a hot dog in your neck of the woods??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What condiments go on a hot dog in your neck of the woods??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JimJ321
I like Merkt's cheddar. I cannot stand "Chicago style."
I forgot shredded cheddar on top of ketchup and tomatoes.

I'm not too particular on the brand of cheddar. But aged makes it nicer.^
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
In North Carolina we're a fan of chili, slaw, mustard and onions on our burgers and dogs which, minus the onions, I never say no to.

When I'm back in New York where I grew up though I just go with spicy brown mustard.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:33 pm

Classic montreal hotdog served "all dressed" as we call it : Yellow mustard, sweet relish, onions and coleslaw(vinegar based)
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:55 pm

ketchup! Of course, I put ketchup on my hot dog if for no other reason than to annoy people here in Chicago. I cannot do Chicago style dogs. The thought of celery salt makes my stomach turn. I do, however, love relish and onions.

Know what else? I've never had an Italian beef. I should probably be kicked out of 60657.

This thread makes me long for baseball season or...

Costco.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
ketchup! Of course, I put ketchup on my hot dog if for no other reason than to annoy people here in Chicago. I cannot do Chicago style dogs. The thought of celery salt makes my stomach turn. I do, however, love relish and onions.

Know what else? I've never had an Italian beef. I should probably be kicked out of 60657.

Costco.
That would all be just as silly on the south side. @:-)
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

Costco.
A basic dog from Costco can hit the spot once in a blue moon.

Wish they had tomatoes and cheddar cheese. Costco dogs would be a winner.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Costco.
Anyplace in Chicago will gladly leave off the Celery Salt, all you need to do is ask.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
I'm a spicy mustard and onions guy...but whenever I transit thru DTW (a lot recently) I have found myself stopping into Coney Island and ordering a Chicago...definitely agree - no ketchup!
Finally got my teen daughter (15) to switch to mustard only...still working on the tween son (12)!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Ketchup, and available.. Tomatoes.
I believe this is the definitive view on putting ketchup on hot dogs. Some harsh language.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
LOL!

I remember seeing this clip as well years ago.

I for one love just ketchup on a hot dog. I wonder what the logic was with that script?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Here in Denmark, the standard is:
Mustard (hot, not sweet)
Ketchup
Finely chopped onion
French fried onion (the dry stuff you can get in tubs)
Pickled cucumber (thinly sliced and pickled in a vinegar/sugar mix)

Hot, sweet, salty, sour, meaty, soft and crispy, all in one packet.

Personally, on the rare occassion I go for a hotdog here, it is "french": the bread has a hole from the end to slide the hotdog inside, and I prefer "french dressing", which is sort of dijonnaise like. As a whole also much less likely to cause a mess!

DanishFlyer
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Reminded me of the French hot dog that they sell to take away a lot of places in Paris - baked in bread with cheese. It's been several years since I've had one (don't see any reason for anything other than ham, cheese and butter on a baguette from that kind of place), but I don't think you eat them with any condiments, just the cheese.

I'm a Chicago dog aficionado, but at Auntie Anne's, baked in that sweet pretzel dough, just mustard!
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
In North Carolina we're a fan of chili, slaw, mustard and onions on our burgers and dogs which, minus the onions, I never say no to.

When I'm back in New York where I grew up though I just go with spicy brown mustard.
I recall a hot dog place near school when I was in 7th to 8th grade. Served them exactly like that. The hot dogs, that is, not hamburgers. And yes, those hot dogs were good. Best I've ever had.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Lately I've been enjoying 'em simple, with just Sriracha.

But back in college we had a legendary hot dog cart that had insane toppings. I liked the Chips Plus: barbecue sauce, goopy neon-orange cheese sauce, crushed potato chips, and Old Bay.

Edit: I looked up the menu to find my other favorite. The Andrew: potato salad, mustard, bacon, and Ranch dressing. I'm amazed I survived eating those things.

Last edited by silverthief2; Feb 1, 2014 at 7:03 pm
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:18 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz

Costco.
(bolding mine) I like the cut of your jib! It takes a bold soul to do something this in-your-face to random Chicagoans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.