Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How to Mix Your Own Cocktails at 30K Feet

How to Mix Your Own Cocktails at 30K Feet

Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
At home I enjoy everything from simply opening a bottle of beer to mixing cocktails with 4-5 ingredients each from my well stocked bar. When I'm flying I stick to the simple end of the spectrum. Depending on my mood I'll check the wine and beer lists first to see if there's anything decent, or order a simple hard-liquor drink like whiskey on the rocks or gin and tonic. Carrying Zip-loc bags full of mixers and garnishes to doll up one's own fancy drinks at 35,000 feet is absurd.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
At home I enjoy everything from simply opening a bottle of beer to mixing cocktails with 4-5 ingredients each from my well stocked bar. When I'm flying I stick to the simple end of the spectrum. Depending on my mood I'll check the wine and beer lists first to see if there's anything decent, or order a simple hard-liquor drink like whiskey on the rocks or gin and tonic. Carrying Zip-loc bags full of mixers and garnishes to doll up one's own fancy drinks at 35,000 feet is absurd.
I have a well-stocked bar at home as well and yeah, I have to agree with this. I'll limit my creativity to whatever's already on the drinks cart.

I am partial to pouring a shot of whiskey in some ginger ale though.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
My choice is to leave the more complicated cocktail mixing to the bartenders in the departure lounge, given their competence and access to all needed ingredients. Up in the air, simpler items like G&T and a straight-up cognac with the after dinner coffee does the job fine for me.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:45 pm

Agree with keeping making great cocktails for the home and keeping it more simple in the air (well, at least mixing, when there's an on plane bar go nuts!) however my never ending frustration is with JAL who out of the 8 or so bottles in the bar in the lounge always have Tanqueray, Campari and a dry vermouth. Getting so close while missing is just cruel.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:13 pm

https://www.monin.com/us/mojito-mix-1.html

I wouldn't use it at home but it works good for a plane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.