Search

Is It Sushi? I Don't Know, But It IS Food

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:52 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rjque
Did they do away with the chestnut vendors?
Heh, I only recall seeing those in Yokohama's Chinatown, and on Narita's Omotesando, but I wonder...when were you in Tokyo last?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
...Moreover, there aren't any street vendors in Japan in the strict sense of the term, but you can find random trucks selling sweet potatoes and fish, at least in Tokyo.
This reminds me --my first dinner ever in Tokyo was from a yatai right outside the Keio Plaza -- I didn't know what half of it was, but it was great!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:18 pm
mjm
Original Member

Did they do away with the chestnut vendors?
No, they are still all over the place. As are crab vendors at stations outside of the city where people are likely exiting the station to walk home.

And a general thought directed at no one person in particular....

I am intrigued by this thread. It reminds me of western food items here in Tokyo. No resemblance to the real item but wildly popular with the locals. Pizza comes to mind. What passes for sushi in the US is always good for a laugh.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Generally, I go for traditional stuff. My palate prefers the basics, and I don't go in for the heavier ingredients (cheese, red meats, avocado, lots of mayonnaise).

I detest cheese, so that is categorically refused. I never went in for artificial crab, so that's out. I find avocado to be a filler with an unpleasant texture.

I do love shrimp tempura rolls. Mayonnaise, IMO, should be used very sparingly. Spicy tuna, salmon, and yellowtail rolls are amazing.

I can't wait to go back to NY. I really need the good sushi. Sushi in Australia leaves much to be desired (highly variable quality, lots of mayo/canned tuna, relatively high prices).
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:25 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Amelorn
Generally, I go for traditional stuff. My palate prefers the basics, and I don't go in for the heavier ingredients (cheese, red meats, avocado, lots of mayonnaise).

I detest cheese, so that is categorically refused. I never went in for artificial crab, so that's out. I find avocado to be a filler with an unpleasant texture.

I do love shrimp tempura rolls. Mayonnaise, IMO, should be used very sparingly. Spicy tuna, salmon, and yellowtail rolls are amazing.

I can't wait to go back to NY. I really need the good sushi. Sushi in Australia leaves much to be desired (highly variable quality, lots of mayo/canned tuna, relatively high prices).
For good, or great sushi, you should come to Japan. It is a lot closer to you What is in NY is at best amusing sushi.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amelorn

Isn't the "spicy" of spicy tuna borne out of mayonnaise?

Originally Posted by mjm

And a general thought directed at no one person in particular....

I am intrigued by this thread. It reminds me of western food items here in Tokyo. No resemblance to the real item but wildly popular with the locals. Pizza comes to mind. What passes for sushi in the US is always good for a laugh.
I'm rather partial to Japanese bakeries...save for the stuff laden with mayonnaise.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jan 16, 2014 at 10:37 pm Reason: Merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moreover, there aren't any street vendors in Japan in the strict sense of the term
Perhaps it's not what a visitor expects when they think of "street food" but the lunch time trade in the business districts of bento and onigiri is what I personally think of whenever I consider the topic of street food in Japan:

The sign for this one says "onigiri set ¥250":

And a link to an image nearish Tokyo station (too big to include here)
http://cdn.mkimg.carview.co.jp/minka...4ef59ad65c.jpg

You can paste
路上 弁当
Into google images to see more examples

And here is another onigiri as street food example:

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 16, 2014 at 11:09 pm
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
Perhaps it's not what a visitor expects when they think of "street food" but the lunch time trade in the business districts of bento and onigiri is what I personally think of whenever I consider the topic of street food in Japan:

And a link to an image nearish Tokyo station (too big to include here)
http://cdn.mkimg.carview.co.jp/minka...4ef59ad65c.jpg

You can paste
路上でお弁当
Into google images to see more examples

And here is an onigiri as street food example:
Oh, right. The only explanation I have is that I'm never by office towers at lunch time! Yet, just a few days ago I was walking around Nihombashi around 9:45am, and saw signs prohibiting those 路上 activities.

In any event, beyond the nightly yatai of Fukuoka and the 包子 in various Chinatowns, street food - in the style of Mexico City or Bangkok - is not commonly associated with Japan.

Though, since you brought up the lunchtime setups, I noticed a couple of itinerant bentō vendors in Midtown Manhattan by Radio City, because that part of town has many Japanese offices.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:24 pm
mjm
Original Member

I'm rather partial to Japanese bakeries...save for the stuff laden with mayonnaise.
They make cute stuff, but for good bakery it has to be NY.

Give me Moishe's Bake Shop or Ostrovitsky Bakery any day of the week. Hands down.

In Japan bread products are good but not the level of their soba shops for example.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yet, just a few days ago I was walking around Nihombashi around 9:45am, and saw signs prohibiting those 路上 activities.
I should have included this photo also:

There were discussions about bringing in actual regulations to control the lunch time street food trade in summer 2013, but I don't know what came of it:
Source (in Japanese) http://www.excite.co.jp/News/column_...607_19642.html

Where the signs at Nihonbashi erected recently?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
U.S. sushi definitely has its place, even if it resembles the real deal in name only. I remember taking a good friend of mine from Tokyo to Blowfish Sushi in San Francisco. He was blown away and began plotting to make millions by opening up his own branch in Tokyo.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

U.S. sushi definitely has its place, even if it resembles the real deal in name only. I remember taking a good friend of mine from Tokyo to Blowfish Sushi in San Francisco. He was blown away and began plotting to make millions by opening up his own branch in Tokyo.
I wonder if the embrace would be as lukewarm as for Yasuda's entry to the Tokyo market
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...hi-yasuda.html
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:58 pm
mjm
Original Member

There is no doubt at all that the faux sushi is not only a massive earner, but a much loved and desired form of food over there. I just wish they would call it something else, but that is my pet peeve.

It has to be said that even the most "unique" sushi inspired items available in the US are still one heck of a lot better for you than many other choices. So I suppose it is a good thing from that perspective too.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by mjm
For good, or great sushi, you should come to Japan. It is a lot closer to you What is in NY is at best amusing sushi.
The strange and winding river that is my life has not chosen to course yet through Japan.

I did have the pleasure of partaking in sushi in Hong Kong, where they seem to take it far more seriously than what I am used to. Eating something flown in that morning from Tokyo was...special.

NY is my "home", so I have become accustomed to the sushi there. The price/quality ratio, IMO, is also quite good at my local place.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
It has to be said that even the most "unique" sushi inspired items available in the US are still one heck of a lot better for you than many other choices. So I suppose it is a good thing from that perspective too.
Not so sure about that - many are deep fried and contain a great deal of mayo. Not that there is anything wrong with that . . .

Two of the things I miss most about Japan are real sushi and high quality tempura. Both were a rare treat even in Japan (I was a student most of the time I was there), but they are quite difficult to find here in the states. I knew of maybe three places in San Francisco that offered real sushi, two of which are now closed. I just moved to Chicago, and I have yet to find the real deal here (though I haven't spent much time looking).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.