Wiki Posts
Search

Best upscale chain steakhouse?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by braslvr
Never EVER will any steakhouse be my first choice when eating out, and I love steak. It's too easy to outdo them at home.
Agreed. And at a fraction of the price.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:06 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cactuspete
Agreed. And at a fraction of the price.
You couldn't call yourself a man if you didn't think what you cooked on the grill was restaurant quality.
And if a steakhouse just supplied a slab of meat, I suppose it might be true. But I like the general atmosphere of steakhouses that other restaurants usually don't match.

I also think grill masters probably overestimate their ability...
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by BlueStreak17
There was a thread about this in 2007, but I thought a reboot was in order since things have changed.
What is the best steakhouse chain in the U.S? I'm partial to Fleming's but have had good experience at Smith and Wollensky's
Also, what's important in restaurants like these? Steak quality? Great Service? Good wine list?
I have dined at various locations of the following:
  • Flemings
  • Ruth Chris
  • Del Frisco's
  • Smith & Wollensky
  • Morton's
  • Palm
  • Shula's

From a value perspective I put Flemings at the top of the list - frequent prime rib Sunday promos, $25-50 off via email, costco gift cards. And just a great steak. I have a soft spot for certain Ruth Chris locations, particularly in the south. DF and S&W always provide an enjoyable, if pricey experience. Morton's is always a bit too stuffy (and overpriced) and the Palm staff has way too much attitude and often poor quality output.

IMO the primary criterion is always the steak - I want a tender, rare filet mignon that melts in my mouth. No exceptions (except when I'm ordering prime rib ). Service is important but most of these places have sufficient top quality staff. Last on my list is the wine selection, I often bring my own bottle.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:30 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boraxo
IMO the primary criterion is always the steak - I want a tender, rare filet mignon that melts in my mouth. No exceptions (except when I'm ordering prime rib ). Service is important but most of these places have sufficient top quality staff. Last on my list is the wine selection, I often bring my own bottle.
Oh, to live in a state that allows BYO...
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Oh, to live in a state that allows BYO...
My Dad's house allows it. Frankly, when he and I are on the grille it's a better steak than at any restaurant.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: SPG
  • Flemings
  • Ruth Chris
  • Del Frisco's
  • Smith & Wollensky
  • Morton's
  • Palm
  • Shula's

From a value perspective I put Flemings at the top of the list - frequent prime rib Sunday promos, $25-50 off via email, costco gift cards. And just a great steak. I have a soft spot for certain Ruth Chris locations, particularly in the south. DF and S&W always provide an enjoyable, if pricey experience. Morton's is always a bit too stuffy (and overpriced) and the Palm staff has way too much attitude and often poor quality output.

Interesting, I have dined at all those places and I think your analysis is spot on.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
  • Flemings
  • Ruth Chris
  • Del Frisco's
  • Smith & Wollensky
  • Morton's
  • Palm
  • Shula's
If we are really talking chains then I think they need to be on the scale of this list vs. just having multiple locations (maybe 10+ as the cutoff?).

My list would be similar except Ruth Chris and Smith & Wollensky slightly lower with Capital Grille sliding in at #2.

Now if Landry's Select Club ever starts being integrated with Mastro's, then I might have a new #1.

Last edited by dbuckho; Jan 13, 2014 at 9:51 pm
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:28 am

What do you think about Ditka's. We have only been there once for lunch and had really great burgers. Traveling to Chicago - Ditka's or Flemings?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by svendiet
Why would people still be looking for a good steakhouse? My guess is someone who lives in the suburbs and lacks much culture.

Not to be a hater, but I am looking forward the Chicago Steakhouse menu at Next. I guess that is 1985, but then again every time I see steak tartare on the menu I get it and think back to the great scene with Gordon Gekko and Buddy from Wall Street.
Back on topic - I really enjoy Capital Grille. Consistently good experience, great lobster Mac and cheese side dish and they treat you like royalty if you're celebrating a special occasion. Took my wife for her bday a few years ago to the ORD location and we still talk about it : rose petals on the table upon arrival, comp flute of champagne, pineapple vodka drink and dessert. They even took a photo of us which we kept on our fridge for a few weeks (to remember the great experience and also help us avoid eating fatty food as we went nuts that night!)
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Linda VH
What do you think about Ditka's. We have only been there once for lunch and had really great burgers. Traveling to Chicago - Ditka's or Flemings?
Lunch or dinner? Are you going planning to get a burger or a steak? I'd say Fleming's if you are going for dinner and don't plan to have a burger. Ditka's for lunch, or if you want a burger.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:23 am

Thx, it will be dinner. One of the 17 yr. olds will eat a burger. On one of the trips that he was with us we took him (along with ours) to a very upscale steakhouse. He asked them if they would make him a burger so.......
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:56 am

Ruth Chris, but I have not been to many up scale steakhouses. Most are independent. If I travel i hate going to chains.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Linda VH
I am not at all a fan of Ditka's for anything other than lunch. The ONLY reason I will even dine there for lunch is their amazing prime rib sandwich. I just don't like the atmosphere at Ditka's.

I like Fleming's in Chicago a lot. Get a window booth upstairs. If it's snowing, it's a beautiful view because of the large windows. I love the prime Sunday special at Fleming's. As far as value goes, it really cannot be beat. And those damn Fleming's potatoes get me back there far more frequently that I'd like to admit.

Last edited by Andrea Waters; Jan 18, 2014 at 7:40 am
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
You couldn't call yourself a man if you didn't think what you cooked on the grill was restaurant quality.
And if a steakhouse just supplied a slab of meat, I suppose it might be true. But I like the general atmosphere of steakhouses that other restaurants usually don't match.

I also think grill masters probably overestimate their ability...
It depends on one's butcher/supplier. Great steaks are available to the retail customer if they live near a good butcher or can arrange to buy direct from a reputable ranch.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:04 am
Used to be 'roachjl'
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
I like Fleming's in Chicago a lot. Get a window booth upstairs. If it's snowing, it's a beautiful view because of the large windows. I love the prime Sunday special at Fleming's. As far as value goes, it really cannot be beat. And those damn Fleming's potatoes get me back there far more frequently that I'd like to admit.
If you but the Costco gift cards and go on Sunday you can get prime rib, salad and dessert for a family of 3 for 80 bucks. You can't beat that with a stick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.