Foods you hated as a kid but now love.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foods you hated as a kid but now love.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH, Priority Club
Sushi and Brussels sprouts, not together of course but I love them now. A grocery store close to me serves them cooked in butter, a tiny bit of bacon and pecans. Who know pecans would be good with Brussels sprouts?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Fun topic....
For me, meatloaf. I absolutely DETESTED it as a child. Hated when my mother would make it. Blech. I'm 42 yrs. old and I kid you not, I just had it again for the first time in roughly 30 yrs. It was my mother's again. I absolutely loved it. Can't understand why I detested it so much as a child.

I took a few thick slices back home and slathered them in gravy on top of white bread and just about had an orgasm the next day.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Curry and a wide variety of vegetables. I've gone off tuna (canned tuna anyway, I think the fresh stuff's spoilt it for me) and pineapple
Old Dec 27, 2013, 4:37 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I used to detest uni. I now have rediscovered it and have an appreciation of it when it is of extremely high quality. When I was younger I could not stand the best of the best uni.

Then I thought perhaps the same with foie gras -- nope, still can't stand the stuff.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Sour cream. Hated it as a kid, love it now on many things.
Cottage cheese on the other hand is vile. Nothing will make me physically ill quicker than looking at the stuff.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold
I'd have to go with Sushi. Now I only eat sashimi.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:49 pm

Blame most of this on the crap food served in my elementary school cafeteria... I've loved them all after someone convinced me to try it again:

mac&cheese
lasagna
fish
PIZZA!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
  • Asparagus
  • spinach
  • veal
  • a slice of raw onion on a good burger
  • liver
(not really - I still hate it by itself. It's funny, at Christmas my sister and I were laughing about how our mother lied to me and said it was steak and my sister rescued me at the time and told me it wasn't true. At any rate, I had no idea how delicious some pates and foie gras are.)
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:19 pm
Suspended

This is kind of a lame concept because any normal person's tastes change and usually expand over time. However, for me:

Fish
Swiss cheese
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Fish
Avocado
Asparagus

Love all three now.

Uni -- never had it as a kid, have never been able to avoid gagging when I taste it. I've been tasting it periodically for over 25 years. Figure it must be a pre-allergic reaction.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:25 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Watermelon, for sure
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most vegetables and fish.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Foods
Broccoli
Asparagus
Bell peppers
Blue cheese - as a kid, ewwww. Now: I can eat it all day with a bottle of wine and crackers.

Japanese specific foods
Natto - as a kid, it's smell and texture is gross, like puke. Most Japanese kids feel the same way but are forced to eat it by their parents. Then you grow up to love it and a bowl of rice just feels so empty without it. Definitely an acquired taste thing. Doubt most other people would want to try it though.

Umeboshi - as a kid, it's too sour and the texture is like a spit ball. Most Japanese kids feel the same way but are forced to eat it by their parents. Then you grow up to love it and a bowl of rice just feels so empty without it. Definitely an acquired taste thing. Doubt most other people would want to try it though.

Condiments
Mayonaisse (had a funny tragedy as a kid gobbling up a scoop of Mayo thinking it was ice cream and blaaaaarg )
Wasabi

Drinks
Coffee

Oddly enough, I loved fish and carrots as a kid.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jan 2, 2014 at 12:30 pm
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
I'd have to go with onions. I remember peeling them off of hamburgers all the time, now I steal them from everyone else
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC, Aeroplan
I really disliked lamb as a kid - but now its one of my favourite, and really have no idea why I changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.