Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Subway 'crisis': Is footlong sub really 11 inches?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager

Subway footlong may not really be. I suppose I need to start carrying a ruler to make sure I'm not getting ripped off by Subway.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
This wouldn't be the first time an executive exaggerated the length of something involving meat.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Funny thing is that if they added an extra inch there wouldn't be any extra meat in that.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They're cheating their customers by not providing them the entire sandwich for which they paid. Either change the name or sell the product you've advertised. What's next? Milk companies or dairies selling a fraction of the quart or gallon instead of the exact amount?

Last edited by cblaisd; Jan 17, 2013 at 7:56 pm Reason: Please pose moderation questions privately, thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I am shocked, shocked I tell you....!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
They also recently significantly cut the portions of meat for each sandwich.

Is it really a surprise though? Food inflation has been significant and yet the price of the sandwich has remained unchanged for quite a while. Obviously they're going to be looking to cut corners. Completely wrong to do it dishonestly though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Heinz get caught a few years ago in California for not filling their bottles completely? I believe their settlement was that they overfilled bottles for a while.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:38 pm

Having grown up in Boston w/a Sub Shop every 100 ft, I can't gag down anything at Subway. The meats & cheeses are certainly of the lowest quality, but what gets me is the bread. It's as if Wonder decided to make Italian Bread & it reminds me more of a hot dog bun than anything else. IMO Domino's & McDonald's though truly awful, do a better job at their craft than Subway does.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's next? The quarter pounder weighs less than four ounces?

Oh, the drama...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by nerd
What's next? The quarter pounder weighs less than four ounces?

Oh, the drama...
They'll have to call it "a Royal With Cheese" !
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Having grown up in Boston w/a Sub Shop every 100 ft, I can't gag down anything at Subway. The meats & cheeses are certainly of the lowest quality, but what gets me is the bread. It's as if Wonder decided to make Italian Bread & it reminds me more of a hot dog bun than anything else. IMO Domino's & McDonald's though truly awful, do a better job at their craft than Subway does.
My kids love all things Subway and I like the meatball marinara on Italian bread.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:09 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Partial here to the Italian BMT on wheat. But I rarely frequent Subway or any sandwich shops since I don't like anything constituting my sandwich except bread, meat, cheese, and a tiny amount of yellow (only!!! No Dijon. :shudder: ) mustard (which must never be applied next to the cheese, only next to the meat.)*

In other words, while my sandwich is easy to construct, I can do it a lot more cheaply at home since I don't want any of the other stuff on it.

*In this regard, please also see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...ood-rules.html
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:55 pm

I like the rainbow effect on their meat.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:14 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Uh, topic-check please. Lots of threads in OMNI for those who have (or wish they had) a talent for innuendo-laden posts.

Thank you.

cblaisd
Moderator, Dining Buzz
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This doesn't really surprise me. Back in 2007 or so, didn't they get in trouble in AZ for their 3' long party subs being only 2' 8" long?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
This is very simple, the store managers/staff are cooking the bread early and before it has risen fully meaning they are giving the customer an subpar product.

Alternative, get a flatbread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.