Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2012, 4:13 pm

1999 Latour Pommard.

Why not?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 4:35 pm

A bottle of Wither Hills Ben Morven 2007 Pinot Noir single vineyard we brought back from the cellar door last year.

It went down so well we've moved onto a Chilean Kimbao Pinot Noir 2011.

A bit late in the year to be drinking Pinot but its a compromise with SWMBO who isn't a big drinker of heavy reds.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Had a perfectly decent €4 Vinho Tinto last night. Hard to beat Spanish and Portuguese when you just want a cheap table wine with a lot of flavor
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mjm
They are resting in the dark until then.
Sleep in heavenly peace! Until then...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:44 am

Just made lamb shanks with this $6 Spanish wine - El Burro 'kickass Garnacha'. 1 glass left to quaff and it's got 2 big hairy ones. I'll have to pick up a case. In the mean time we'll suffer with this 07 Roesenblum 'Snow's Lake' Syrah.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Just made lamb shanks with this $6 Spanish wine - El Burro 'kickass Garnacha'. 1 glass left to quaff and it's got 2 big hairy ones. I'll have to pick up a case. In the mean time we'll suffer with this 07 Roesenblum 'Snow's Lake' Syrah.
I suffered through a Wild Horse Pinot Noir last night, the first American wine I've had in awhile. Okay, maybe suffered is a little too strong, but I certainly didn't think it was worth anywhere near the €16 I paid for it.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we are in Lyon suffering through the CdP glut(06,07,09 and 10 were wonderful vintages),. prop. bottlings are 32 euro or so. st joseph is 25 or less and also great. pretty obvious to me, they keep the good stuff, and send the residue to usa. the restaurants carry bottles from small growers, (there are about 200 producers)
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki
pretty obvious to me, they keep the good stuff, and send the residue to usa.
I'm trying to decide, if I really have to move to the UK next year, whether it will be worth it (and legal) to rent a truck periodically, drive over to France, and bring a thousand or so bottles back. Haven't researched it yet
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
I suffered through a Wild Horse Pinot Noir last night, the first American wine I've had in awhile. Okay, maybe suffered is a little too strong, but I certainly didn't think it was worth anywhere near the €16 I paid for it.
Not familiar with Wild Horse. You generally will have better luck with American pinot noir from the Willammette Valley in Oregon.
Fliar likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Not familiar with Wild Horse. You generally will have better luck with American pinot noir from the Willammette Valley in Oregon.
it a matter of taste. a lot of the OR wines are short on fruit, while i think the CA wines, while can be over fruitty, i do prefe CA canores, .AND THE CA MOUNTAIN WINES.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:01 am

Had a L'Aventure Cote a Cote Estate 2010 from Paso Robles last night. Was 42% grenache, 34% syrah, 24% mourvedre. This fellow wasn't allowed to concoct such blasphemy in France so started up something very nice in Paso. Highly recommended.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by ErthCrclr
Had a L'Aventure Cote a Cote Estate 2010 from Paso Robles last night. Was 42% grenache, 34% syrah, 24% mourvedre. This fellow wasn't allowed to concoct such blasphemy in France so started up something very nice in Paso. Highly recommended.
Had something similar last night...Slacker by Linne Calodo in Paso Robles, 62% Syrah, 32% Grenache, 6% mourvedre, highly recommend also.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
it a matter of taste. a lot of the OR wines are short on fruit, while i think the CA wines, while can be over fruitty, i do prefe CA canores, .AND THE CA MOUNTAIN WINES.
I suppose that's it - I prefer the fruit to be more restrained. If I want a glass of jam, I'll buy jam.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Pinots are tough. Not a lot of values out there. I have a bar and can't usually find anything worth serving that costs < $35 wholesale. With other varietals I can get d*mn nice wine for half of that. Wild Horse is just OK. Usually a cherry fruit bomb w/out a lot of complexity. Had a bottle of their '08' Res. recently and it wasn't much better. We just don't get those Burgundian barnyard flavors I love so much in Cal PNs. Know your vintages before buying an OR Pinot. They get weather up there (much like Burgundy) and IMO only 3 years out of 10 are worth buying.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Usually a cherry fruit bomb w/out a lot of complexity. Had a bottle of their '08' Res. recently and it wasn't much better.
I would say 'cherry fruit bomb' pretty much captures the essence.

Do you really have much of a market now for better French wines in the US, or is it cost prohibitive most of the time? Definitely little to no market for US wines here. To clarify 'here' means my rural area of Europe, not in the bigger cities, but obviously the Americans are trying to make inroads.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...eau/57838048/1

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Dec 19, 2012 at 8:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.