Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Where can I learn more about French wines? I am of course particular to pinot noir, but there are no varietals I dismiss out of hand.
It's become an amateur hobby for me and I can only dream about the level of knowledge of the individual producers and vintages that many people have. We had one former poster here, haven't heard from him in awhile, who seemed to know personally every producer in the Rhone Valley.

To help me learn about French wine, I read Andrew Jeffords "The New France".

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-France.../dp/184000410X

It's an absolutely exhaustive, but very readable guide to every major wine growing region in France. He painstakingly describes virtually every terroir and how it affects the wine. I'll read a section, make some notes, then look for his recommendations the next time I go shopping.

For Burgundies I like to read "The Great Domaines of Burgundy", but it's a little above me in terms of what I can afford to buy as it focuses on the best of the best. Lots of useful information though about the differences between the different villages.

In terms of your price range you could certainly get good French wine here from any region, and we do, but not sure what sorts of prices you have to pay in NYC. I did make a trip to Philadelphia during the year and in one store was surprised at how extensive a selection of French wines they had on hand. The prices didn't really seem that bad to me either.

I would like to do the opposite as you - I'm still thinking about some of the better American wines I've had and if I had local choices that's probably what I would buy for the next year.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where can I learn more about French wines? I am of course particular to pinot noir, but there are no varietals I dismiss out of hand.

Incidentally, if you're in the market for an American pinot noir, check out Freeman and Shea. Freeman is, according to the aforementioned wine friend, the best bang for your buck in US pinot noir. Shea is his favorite US pinot noir. I love them both. Freeman's Akiko's Cuvee and Keefer Ranch cuvee are great. Shea's Block 7 and Homer are outstanding.
why "of course"?

this is shea http://www.sheawinecellars.com/vineyard/ he started as a grower. couple years later, he started vinifing.
he did not sell under the shea name, but sold naked bottles. we were able to procure his wine in an unlabeled format.

each year he would set out a few bottles of each plot, in a huge semicircle, and taste and blend . (30 or so blocks). this was referred to as shea stadium .

a number of very famous pinots are not listed as shea lot owners. the one that comes to mind is patrica green.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Chocolate box tonight and Chocolate block tomorrow. Both lovely.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:30 pm

2010 Catena Malbec. Nice.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

I'd love to come to the WineDo. The one in June?
That's the one. Many of us bring juice that you'll appreciate. ^ You could convince me to bring a 2008 Freeman Pinot Noir Keefer Ranch Russian River Valley from my cellar.

dh
Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: AC
Jackson Triggs
Pinot Grigio Proprietors' selection
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Decisions to make!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Can't tell what's in there! Having a Chateau des Karantes Languedoc
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by PIJD
Decisions to make!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
NICE ! I wish I could afford one of those - maybe someday. I've got 2 old $50 'fridges' doing the same job in my garage right now. When one craps out, I hope it's in the Winter.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Just brought home some small allotments of: 2009 Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape, 2009 Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape and the 2010 Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

Now I am resisting the temptation to open tonight. These all need a few years although the '09 Beaucastel could be fine with a bit of decanting.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:43 pm

01 Corison. Still going strong. Took awhile to open up. Will try again in 2 years.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:12 am
Original Poster

I've had a couple of very nice bottles this week
Nuit St. George Gastron Andre
Hermitage Les Chamblards

A couple of decent bottles
Pouilly Fuisse Domaine des Rochers
Haut Medoc Chateau du Moulin Rouge

And some dreck that isn't worth mentioning.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:35 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by geo1005
Just brought home some small allotments of: 2009 Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape, 2009 Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape and the 2010 Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

Now I am resisting the temptation to open tonight. These all need a few years although the '09 Beaucastel could be fine with a bit of decanting.
You and the rest of the DC posse will be getting the invite in a year for the 50th bash, 3 bottles of the '98 that night as part of a bigger list. They are resting in the dark until then.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Tonight was a bargain bottle of Safe Widows cava and a nice bottle of Donkey and Goat Stonecrusher Rousanne (a nice cold weather white).

Tomorrow, with a special Thai birthday dinner (off menu special cookins for us), I'm bringing:

NV Moutard Champagne Brut Grand Cuvee (we may have this at home before we go)
2011 Gilles Lesimple Sancerre
2009 Frick Viognier
2008 Frick Cinsault
Old Dec 15, 2012, 5:03 am
Original Poster

http://www.sfgate.com/recipes/articl...HT-2556894.php

Good article on the challenges of trying to pair wine with Indian food. Sounds like beer is a safer bet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.