Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2020, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Thank you! I know the USA naked wines options include both Angels and just regular purchase. So with the voucher, it would still work out to us$60++ for a case, delivered.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
Thank you! I know the USA naked wines options include both Angels and just regular purchase. So with the voucher, it would still work out to us$60++ for a case, delivered.
FWIW I think the wine is probably reasonably priced at the Angel price (c15% less than the standard price I think?), less so at standard. But because you’re buying wine that isn’t generally available anywhere else, it’s hard to judge value until you’ve tasted the wine. The customer satisfaction score for each wine is a useful guide, as is the recommendation algorithm, but clearly not fullproof. I’ve found good wines from the non-traditional French growing areas, some good South African wines, an absolutely cracking Italian ripasso & Montepuliciano and some good NZ Pinot. Less successful have been the Argentinian Malbecs and I find their US wines overpriced (but I find that generally).
Old Jun 6, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by gaobest
I paid less than that for a case of Martha Stewart's wine after stacking credit card offers and promotions. I'll drink most anything yet I found all but a few of the bottles to be undrinkable. I'm cheap as L and not fussy, but I found this drek to be a waste of money.

I'm not saying Naked will be like Martha, but for around $10/bottle your local KL Wine or any other reputable shop will listen to you and hook you up with decent juice to suit most tastes. KL has a good website, and since you're local, you can pick up the wine and avoid shipping.

For me, I think the sweet spot is between $15 and $25, but there's still good wine out there for around $10.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by work2fly
I paid less than that for a case of Martha Stewart's wine after stacking credit card offers and promotions. I'll drink most anything yet I found all but a few of the bottles to be undrinkable. I'm cheap as L and not fussy, but I found this drek to be a waste of money.

I'm not saying Naked will be like Martha, but for around $10/bottle your local KL Wine or any other reputable shop will listen to you and hook you up with decent juice to suit most tastes. KL has a good website, and since you're local, you can pick up the wine and avoid shipping.

For me, I think the sweet spot is between $15 and $25, but there's still good wine out there for around $10.
thanks for the posts and info! I figured it would be $60 a case after the promo - isn’t it 12 to a case? Apparently postage is $10 but isn’t this still like $6/7 a bottle?
I understand to avoid the USA bottles. maybe I’ll try this one-shot promo or I’ll let it expire worthless.

I love this thread!!
Old Jun 6, 2020, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Enjoying another glass of a lovely red Rioja Gran Reserva, Prado Enea 2011. Went well with the BBQ, and still does...
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Slumming it tonight enjoying a Dry Creek 2018 Sauvignon Blanc with my filet of sole

Last edited by Boraxo; Sep 17, 2020 at 8:57 pm
Old Jun 6, 2020, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
1 bottle 2018 Domaine Barraud Pouilly Fuisse Alliance V
1 bottle 2014 Broc Cellars Michael Mara Vineyard Chardonnay
1 bottle 2018 Lusu Cellars Gewurztraminer

3 of us. 4 hours including dinner. All Dee Lish Us.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Last night we had a 2012 Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Chardonnay with baked Atlantic salmon. That chard is drinking perfectly right now.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by work2fly
I agree on the sweet spot but of late I have been venturing north of it...bought some Beaux Freres, Freeman, a premier cru Burgundy, and some others. Now the wine fridge is full. A good feeling.

Actually, it makes me want to buy a bigger wine fridge...
Old Jun 9, 2020, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I agree on the sweet spot but of late I have been venturing north of it...bought some Beaux Freres, Freeman, a premier cru Burgundy, and some others. Now the wine fridge is full. A good feeling.

Actually, it makes me want to buy a bigger wine fridge...
Don't. I am reminded of that night at my brother's house when we had to toss several bottles of older wines that should have aged well, kept in proper climatic conditions for years.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:05 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Opened a bottle of Amarone with dinner and Riesling with dessert.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
2018 Bedrock Wine Co. Sauvignon Blanc Staves of Waidhofen. One of my favorite SBs. Really like the peach undertones and the minerality. Great wine for this time of the year (at least in the Southern US) -- paired nicely with salmon and a peach caprese salad
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 5:19 am

A glass or two of Hubert Bouzereau-Gruère Mersault 2017 followed by a move to red, a Christian Patat Appassimento 2018. One of our Naked Wine regulars. Great value at £10 a bottle. Whilst I’m trying to drink more white and I did like the Mersault, it’s probably sacrilege but I much more enjoyed the red at a third the price.

Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
2018 Bedrock Wine Co. Sauvignon Blanc Staves of Waidhofen. One of my favorite SBs. Really like the peach undertones and the minerality. Great wine for this time of the year (at least in the Southern US) -- paired nicely with salmon and a peach caprese salad
Bedrock puts out a nice product.

Yesterday, I reverted to the nice Italian Veneto Bianco from Grocery Outlet, paying homage to my income this year.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
As a present from a friend, today started with recieving a bottle of Musar Jeune 2013, i.e. not really as young as the name implies. It's the red second wine of Chateau Musar, wich was commented on lately. Will try it out tomorrow with the BBQ with a couple of other reds from the region to compare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.