Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Opened a case of Chateau Musar 2010 yesterday. Lovely wine with a lot of storage improvement potential. Next bottle to drink next year.

Edit: correction redacted, since post quoted.
Kgmm77 likes this.

Last edited by onobond; Jun 2, 2020 at 3:30 am
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by onobond
Opened a case of Chateau Musar 2010 yesterday. Lovely wine with a lot of storage improvement potential. Next bottle to drink next year.
Fantastic wine. Serge Hochar must be the wine hero to end all heroes!
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Fantastic wine. Serge Hochar must be the wine hero to end all heroes!

Agree, not only for producing a great wine in a region with occasional temperatures not thought to be the best for wine growth. But also for doing that under some 15 years of civil war. Gone now, for 5 years, his legacy continues with his two sons and a nephew.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Anton Bauer pinot noir and Anton Bauer zwiegelt. I love German/Austrian pinot!
I have an Anton Bauer 2013 Blaufränkisch Reserve in my wine fridge. Bought it at a wine shop in a small village in Switzerland last year. Love the Austrian whites, also.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It’s so warm here and I’m not getting much work done so I think I’ll open a simple Minuty rosé now.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The last couple of weeks, we've been sampling a bunch of different things that "might have possibility" from Grocery Outlet. You just never know when you're going to find a close out that was stored well-enough, like last year when I bought up all the Michel Schlumberger red blend (a $45 bottle retail) - but that was after trying one, and going back for more. So far, this time, the few reds were drinkable, but not worth another bottle, and another red was putrid, and is nourishing fishes right now. The whites were mostly better - one was pretty bad. One was very good (a Veneto white) and I returned yesterday to buy a few more.

And, we tried two of the TJ's "reserve" cabs with "lot numbers" (about $10/ea) - one from CA, one from WA, both were very good, and I'll probably get some to stock up the "everyday pour" stash, which isn't a stash anymore (and which inspired the return to Grocery Outlet for the first time in a year).
Old Jun 2, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
My better half is roasting a chicken tonight for dinner, with the usual roasted veg accompaniments, so I'll likely open a NZ pinot to enjoy alongside.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by work2fly
My better half is roasting a chicken tonight for dinner, with the usual roasted veg accompaniments, so I'll likely open a NZ pinot to enjoy alongside.
More for coq au vin, but the traditional recip is a bottle of Chambertin on the table and a bottle of Chambertin in the pot. Of course, it would probably be cheaper to stick with the NZ Pinot Noir and throw in a first class flight to NZ on top.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
More for coq au vin, but the traditional recip is a bottle of Chambertin on the table and a bottle of Chambertin in the pot. Of course, it would probably be cheaper to stick with the NZ Pinot Noir and throw in a first class flight to NZ on top.
Cooking with Chambertin?! Things must be going pretty well at the lhrsfo household!
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It’s so warm here and I’m not getting much work done so I think I’ll open a simple Minuty rosé now.
It’s half past warm here and I bought a bottle last week based on a recommendation, but haven’t opened it yet. How did you like it?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Cooking with Chambertin?! Things must be going pretty well at the lhrsfo household!
I wish. Just dreaming as I contemplate yet another wine from the Languedoc!
Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right now on the patio with a glass of chilled CBDB 2016, a chenin blanc from Margaret River district, Australia, Very dry and full taste.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I just bought a case of BourgogneBlanc - 6 Pouilly-Fuissé and 6 MâconVergisson. I'll pick it up on Saturday. I'm feeling the need to wash some of that Grocery Outlet wine out of my system, and soon!
Boraxo and Kgmm77 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I got a voucher for NakedWines with my sur la table order. I know the vouchers are common - do people really like the naked wine product when bought with the voucher?
Old Jun 6, 2020, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
I got a voucher for NakedWines with my sur la table order. I know the vouchers are common - do people really like the naked wine product when bought with the voucher?
We’ve been Naked Wines Angels for what must be a decade. I hadn’t realised they had expanded to the US. They’ve had a rough few years with a disastrous takeover of Majestic and being honest, their USP of giving a direct market to enterprising young winemakers doesn’t suit scaling up. Many of these producers are with Naked precisely because they aren’t big enough to distribute widely.

we’re still subscribing, but the outstanding finds that used to be in every case are few and far between (and frequently sold out), so we usually just buy our old favourites.

I’ve no idea what their US business model is, I assume it’s the same as the UK one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.