Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by sonartori
I think it will be good for me.
Which one? How was it?

Today a 1990 Besserat de Bellefon (beautiful, lots of fruit while also having that lovely aged Champagne/brioche taste)
Then a 2000 Echezeaux (amazing)
with some 1970 Camus Cognac to finish

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 27, 2017 at 7:45 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
2011 Pulenta Estate Grand Cabernet Franc XI. A lovely wine purchased at the bodega a few years ago that managed to survive 3 house moves in reasonable shape. Argentinian single varietal cabernet franc is wonderful and deserves some of the overwhelming attention that Malbec gets from that part of the world.
I am really getting into Cab Franc...Red Mountain/Columbia Valley has produced some fantastic Cab Francs over the past several years.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:51 am

Today a 1983 la Chapelle Hermitage by Aine. This was remarkable.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Sparkling wine from Gruet to toast the new year. I believe I read on the label that it was made in Albuquerque. I'd never heard of it but bought it for the tag listing a Wine Spectator score of 90. I never felt a thing but I was hurting this morning.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Sparkling wine from Gruet to toast the new year. I believe I read on the label that it was made in Albuquerque. I'd never heard of it but bought it for the tag listing a Wine Spectator score of 90. I never felt a thing but I was hurting this morning.
Gruet was founded by an old Champagne family as I recall. They identified a part of New Mexico as having an optimally similar climate to the Champagne region. Many wine reviewers have said that their sparkling wines compare favorably with much more expensive Champagnes. I like the Gruets I've had, but they have been relatively few.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:51 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Opened a 2006 The Odyssey (their red Rhone blend) from Miner Family Wines. Unfortunately, a little over the hill, but still drank okay after giving it an hour to open up.

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
2011 Pulenta Estate Grand Cabernet Franc XI. A lovely wine purchased at the bodega a few years ago that managed to survive 3 house moves in reasonable shape. Argentinian single varietal cabernet franc is wonderful and deserves some of the overwhelming attention that Malbec gets from that part of the world.
^ I'm sitting on a 2011 Pulenta XV, which is their Gran Pinot Noir. I should probably open that in 2018-19. I've had some delightful cab francs from Argentina and Chile - and generally much cheaper than Chinon.

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Gruet was founded by an old Champagne family as I recall. They identified a part of New Mexico as having an optimally similar climate to the Champagne region. Many wine reviewers have said that their sparkling wines compare favorably with much more expensive Champagnes. I like the Gruets I've had, but they have been relatively few.
I tried a Gruet blanc de Blanca last month. Thought it was decent for the money, but nothing that I'd necessarily buy for a special occasion.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by JY1024
I tried a Gruet blanc de Blanca last month. Thought it was decent for the money, but nothing that I'd necessarily buy for a special occasion.
They were offering samples and had multiple cases on ice at the grocery store on Sunday afternoon. Bargain priced, I thought, at $12.99 a bottle. It was an impulse buy.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:26 am

2011 Gevrey Chambertin vielles vignes by Fourrier
Not the most complex wine but my god, what spectacular fruit
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Fliar
Today a 1983 la Chapelle Hermitage by Aine. This was remarkable.
I have been eyeing one of these in my cellar wondering about its development. At its peak or still some way to go?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo

I have been eyeing one of these in my cellar wondering about its development. At its peak or still some way to go?
It's plateaud - It's at its peak but - depending of course on cellaring conditions - will stay there for another 5 years IMHO.

Visited Hans Herzog in Marlborough (New Zealand) yesterday. Really enjoyed the Montepulciano - a grape variety that generally doesn't do well in NZ (or anywhere outside Italy) (I noticed it's in the '1000 wines you must try before you die' book.) The Gewurz I would avoid - it was fine but no more.

Last edited by Fliar; Jan 13, 2018 at 3:32 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:23 am

Finished a bottle of 2006 Bouchard Meursault Genevrieres to pair with some Saint Marcellin and Mont d'Or. Tasted a bit oxidized and will have to see if other bottles will perform bette
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last night opened a bottle of 2014 Bocelli Sangiovese (Tuscany). Very nice $15 bottle that compares favorably to most $25 Chiantis.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Last night, we opened a 1997 Wellington Merlot (Sonoma County). The winery recently shut down and this was a random library selection thrown in with a case deal. I've held it for several months debating whether it would be any good.

After decanting for 45 minutes, the wine was absolutely outstanding. Minimal sediment and lots of fruit left - almost jammy. It was perfect alongside my pot roast and I wish I had several more.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:22 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Popped open a 2005 Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet ("La Garenne") tonight. Still drinking beautifully (though getting towards end of drinking life, IMO) - exactly what you'd expect of an older Bourgogne blanc.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Had a wonderful merlot from Paradise Ridge last night. It is a shame their winery burned to the ground in October.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.