Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uk1
Re Spain.

A real surprise to me was discovering some of the extraordinary Finos when tapas foraging in Madrid. I hadn't realised how varied they are ..... I know perhaps not strictly classified as wine .... but to me neither a sherry either and the Spanish seem to drink them as a wine bar type drink. I've also noticed now that so much Champagne output is targeted at low price, premium Cava really seems to fill an easy drinking slot vacated. Your Champagne budget spent with a Cava produces quite a bottle.

Since then several bottles of Fino and Cava are kept in the coldest but of the fridge.
For us the great thing about Spanish wines is how drinkable they are at such a low price point. We can pick up a 4 euro Mederano Tinto that is just fine for us. I certainly wouldn't try to drink a 4 euro Bourgogne Rouge and the local cheap wine is Dornfelder which will stain your teeth purple.

Picked up a Terrazza Reserva at the store tonight to give a Malbec a try. Only other one they had was 50 euros, so not ready for that commitment yet.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:46 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
For us the great thing about Spanish wines is how drinkable they are at such a low price point. We can pick up a 4 euro Mederano Tinto that is just fine for us. I certainly wouldn't try to drink a 4 euro Bourgogne Rouge and the local cheap wine is Dornfelder which will stain your teeth purple.

Picked up a Terrazza Reserva at the store tonight to give a Malbec a try. Only other one they had was 50 euros, so not ready for that commitment yet.
There's also something about some of those big heavy Riojas and Navarras. The type that is so old oaky it reminds you of a smokey winter's log fire.

Aged Rioja's seem really cheap and plentiful at the moment. Perhaps they are over grown and out of fashion ...,
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Picked up a Terrazza Reserva at the store tonight to give a Malbec a try. .
Terrazza is a big name here......you should enjoy it.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Terrazza is a big name here......you should enjoy it.
Unfortunately, it didn't work for us. When there was maybe one big glass left I said to my wife, "why don't you take that and I'll open something else." She said, "No, why don't you take it and open something else for me." We had a laugh because neither of us really took to it, and she said something to the effect of, don't experiment, just stick with French from now on.

In my opinion, it was severely over oaked
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In my opinion, it was severely over oaked
The reservas can be powerful.

I like Terrazas Alto Plano.....although I'm no expert as Gauchoo100K will confirm.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
The reservas can be powerful.

I like Terrazas Alto Plano.....although I'm no expert as Gauchoo100K will confirm.
I think it just goes back to my point about the lack of choice in the export market. Analogously, it would be as if your local stores had exactly one Bordeaux. What would be the odds that it would be good quality? I'm going to guess if I was in Argentina and had some of the better Malbecs I would love them. I'll add it to my bucket list - in fact, I've never been to any South American country.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
2002 Glaetzer Amon-Ra Shiraz (from the Barossa) Yum!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

For us, it was gluhwein at the village street fest, then a 2006 Piccini Brunello di Montalcino Villa Al Cortile, which was very nice. Getting ready to crack open a Goulee Cos d'Estournel 2008.

Edited to add - just cracked open that Goulee and holy smoke. Wow! First taste blew me away. I'm usually not buying Medocs, but that's one of the best wines I've had in weeks.

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Dec 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
1998 Dumol Syrah, Eddie's Patch, Sonoma
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:30 pm

Papillon bottled by Orin Swift. 200(something). Served it with BBQ'd chicken. Yum-O!!!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:58 pm

Papillon bottled by Orin Swift. 200(something). Served it with BBQ'd chicken. Yum-O!!!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:02 am
uk1
Suspended

Two bottles?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonomawine
1998 Dumol Syrah, Eddie's Patch, Sonoma
This one sounds great from what I could read online. I've had exactly one Russian River Valley wine this year and thought it was excellent. I wish we had access to better American wines where we live, but you take what you can get.

We were in Sonoma in April and stopped by Bartholomew Park. Not sure if they're highly rated or not, but we liked it and bought a number of bottles.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Oh well, to continue this live blogging of the daily assault on my liver, Via Al Castello Barolo, 2008.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Tonight it's a Septombres Minervois, 100% Syrah, that I picked up for 7 euros. Very nice for that price range

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.