Unhealthiest Recipes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unhealthiest Recipes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Italian one is good! I've made it, and lived to tell the tale provided you have one portion, it is fine - probably less fat and fewer calories than in most pizza slices in the US!

Originally Posted by Steph3n
Originally Posted by emma69
Oh, the Italian 'Mozzarella en carozza' (sp?) cheese inside, same method, delicious!
I have only seen this sandwich eaten, it really doesn't fit my profile of food I want to attempt
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by naeglerian
This thread is making me even more hungry.

My dad used to scramble eggs in bacon grease, right after frying the bacon. Somehow we are all still alive. I cannot speak to the condition of my arteries, though.
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I do that, though I pour most of the grease off first. I like the flavor.
Even better, my dad used to first pan-toast bread in the bacon grease and THEN scramble the eggs. Mighty tasty, but I'm pretty sure that this contributed to an early death.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
Even better, my dad used to first pan-toast bread in the bacon grease and THEN scramble the eggs. Mighty tasty, but I'm pretty sure that this contributed to an early death.
Ohhhhh memories of brownies (the younger girl scouts, not the dessert!)

We stayed in this little cottage for 'pack holiday', and the leaders made fried breakfast each morning, and did the fried bread - first time I ever had it - in the bacon fat.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Everyone knows that the Scottish diet is one of the healthiest out there. Greasy Scotch pies, fried breakfasts, fish 'n' chips washed down with pints of beer and a few ciggies......just some of the foods and afters which has helped us Scots having one of the best rates of hard disease in the world.
And you won't get much healthier than that all time Scottish favourite recipe......"tablet".....apart from the cup of milk that is.
Can't believe you left off the deep fried mars bars!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Originally Posted by naeglerian
This thread is making me even more hungry.

My dad used to scramble eggs in bacon grease, right after frying the bacon. Somehow we are all still alive. I cannot speak to the condition of my arteries, though.
My Dad did this too. He also cooked pancakes with bacon grease.

I think traditional pound cake is a pretty unhealthy recipe
Pound of Butter
Pound Of Sugar
Pound of Eggs
Flour, salt etc.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by tonerman
My Dad did this too. He also cooked pancakes with bacon grease.

I think traditional pound cake is a pretty unhealthy recipe
Pound of Butter
Pound Of Sugar
Pound of Eggs
Flour, salt etc.
But, so tasty! But I think it makes about three loaves, so it's not quite as bad as it sounds.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:06 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Yep. There's been a big pot of this at pretty much every midwestern funeral luncheon I've been to.
There were 2 big baking dishes of them at the Midwestern Easter brunch I attended this year. I ate a lot.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
My church just produced a cookbook if anyone is interested.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
Anything made by Epicmealtime qualifies I think :P
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Had a friend that introduced me to bacon gravy for breakfast.

Fry up a bunch of bacon. Use the fat to make a "sawmill gravy" (roux with flour, then add milk and generous amount of pepper).

Serve over biscuits, toast, pieces of cardboard...whatever.

lethal.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:56 pm

My mother used to make a breakfast dish that consisted, as far as I could tell, of:

4 packs of refrigerated, store-bought biscuit dough* (so 40 biscuits), with each biscuit cut into quarters, then rolled in a mix of brown sugar, cinammon, and butter, then mashed together in a bundt pan, then drizzled with more brown sugar and butter, and then baked. The butter:brown sugar:biscuit weight ratio was probably something like 1:1:1.

Done properly, the dish has a really hard (but sweet) shell and a soft (but sweet) interior.

It probably isn't that unhealthy, but it has to have a ton of sugar in it and I'm shocked that I wasn't diagnosed with diabetes growing up.

*And since we were poor, we weren't buying the healthy stuff, but more like the cheapest, bottom of the bin stuff that is full of chemically created compounds and substances. Nowadays, I can't eat the stuff without wretching, and it is home made biscuits for me or nothing.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
My mother used to make a breakfast dish that consisted, as far as I could tell, of:

4 packs of refrigerated, store-bought biscuit dough* (so 40 biscuits), with each biscuit cut into quarters, then rolled in a mix of brown sugar, cinammon, and butter, then mashed together in a bundt pan, then drizzled with more brown sugar and butter, and then baked. The butter:brown sugar:biscuit weight ratio was probably something like 1:1:1.

Done properly, the dish has a really hard (but sweet) shell and a soft (but sweet) interior.

It probably isn't that unhealthy, but it has to have a ton of sugar in it and I'm shocked that I wasn't diagnosed with diabetes growing up.

*And since we were poor, we weren't buying the healthy stuff, but more like the cheapest, bottom of the bin stuff that is full of chemically created compounds and substances. Nowadays, I can't eat the stuff without wretching, and it is home made biscuits for me or nothing.

Actually, I think that's a Pillsbury recipe.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:20 pm

Could be. My mother isn't above shamelessly stealing someone else's recipe and calling it her own.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Could be. My mother isn't above shamelessly stealing someone else's recipe and calling it her own.
I can't say it was Pillsbury, but I've certainly had variations on this as well. Not an original.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

I can't say it was Pillsbury, but I've certainly had variations on this as well. Not an original.
Monkey bread - although this one has nuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.