Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you seek out brewery tours, tap rooms, stores, and brewpubs when you travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you seek out brewery tours, tap rooms, stores, and brewpubs when you travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 6:16 pm

I love to do this when I travel. Over the past few years I've taken tours at the following locations.

Anheuser-Busch - St. Louis, MO
Jack Daniels - Lynchburg, TN
Jim Beam - Claremont, KY
Maker's Mark - Loretto, KY
Heaven Hill - Bardstown, KY

One of these years I would like to hit all of the distilleries on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. And finally - a piece of advice - bring along a designated driver if you are hitting multiple locations in the same day. Most of them (except for Jack Daniels) offer two free tastings at the end of their tours.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by kipper
Hop Harvest Festival??? Do tell!
Well, the name pretty much says it all. It runs the first weekend in September (Fri-Sun), takes over the center of town, has three stages (I think), over a dozen breweries selling their beer, lots of delicious Bohemian food, and crafts. There were also a surprising number of mead makers there.

I know it is borderline blasphemy to say it but I enjoy Czech beer more than German beer.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
Well, the name pretty much says it all. It runs the first weekend in September (Fri-Sun), takes over the center of town, has three stages (I think), over a dozen breweries selling their beer, lots of delicious Bohemian food, and crafts. There were also a surprising number of mead makers there.

I know it is borderline blasphemy to say it but I enjoy Czech beer more than German beer.
I love hops, which is why I think I'd be in heaven at that festival.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 5:47 am

There is only one way to find out.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:13 am

There is only one way to find out.
Like I needed another reason to plan a trip there.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by flsunshineflyer
Toured the Abita Brewery outside New Orleans. There were several brews on tap that you just went up to as if it was a fast food beverage station. As much as you wanted. IIRC, it was free.
Now that sounds like a great tour to go on. I love Andy Gator beer.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:51 am

Like I needed another reason to plan a trip there.
Don't forget the beer spa.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:27 am

Don't forget the beer spa.
The beer spa???
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: AS, UA, BA, Hyatt, Amtrak, AF
What a great selection! I'll add Dogfish Head Brewery in Milton, DE to the list. Free tours (sign up online in advance) and free samples. They have brewpubs in Rehoboth, DE, Gaithersburg MD, and Falls Church, VA.

www.dogfish.com
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:07 am

The Dogfish head Brewery is pretty nice. I got a personal tour a few years ago.

The beer spa???
Yes:

I think that the Hop Harvest Festival in Žatec, Czech Republic is worth traveling to. Combine that with a trip to the Chodovar Beer Wellness center in Chodová Planá, Czech Republic and you have a definite winner.
You would love it. For around 40€, you get a 20 minute beer bath (you sit and chill out in a stainless steel tub full of warm water, beer, and some herbs and they bring you a beer), a 20 minute wrap (they wrap you up in a sheet and you chill out in a dimly lit room and enjoy another beer), and a 50 minute massage. Also on the site are two restaurants, one of which is in a cave that has been in use since the 1400s. The food is delicious Bohemian fare.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:21 am

You would love it. For around 40€, you get a 20 minute beer bath (you sit and chill out in a stainless steel tub full of warm water, beer, and some herbs and they bring you a beer), a 20 minute wrap (they wrap you up in a sheet and you chill out in a dimly lit room and enjoy another beer), and a 50 minute massage. Also on the site are two restaurants, one of which is in a cave that has been in use since the 1400s. The food is delicious Bohemian fare.
I missed that somehow! I think I'm moving...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
For around 40€, you get a 20 minute beer bath (you sit and chill out in a stainless steel tub full of warm water, beer, and some herbs and they bring you a beer), a 20 minute wrap (they wrap you up in a sheet and you chill out in a dimly lit room and enjoy another beer), and a 50 minute massage. Also on the site are two restaurants, one of which is in a cave that has been in use since the 1400s. The food is delicious Bohemian fare.
This would be awesome. I thought free samples at the New Belgium taproom was pretty good, but it doesn't come close!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by djk7
I wasn't sure of the best forum for this thread, but I'm starting it in DiningBuzz, since it seems like a companion to the long running beer fridge thread, and brewery restaurants are included here. Mods can move it if needed.

I've never taken a destination trip just to visit a brewery, but have made it to a few, both on vacation and business trips. This has included going on tours, stopping by taprooms, and eating at their brewpubs. And at some breweries, because of time constraints, I've only been able to visit their store.

From memory, here is my list, going back quite a few years:

Tours - in no particular order
  • Coors, Boulder, CO - Took the free tour way back before it became self guided. Small samples at the end. After filling out a brief survey, was one of the few selected for a tasting and rating of possible future products.
  • Herforder Brauerei, Hiddenhausen, Germany - Was taken by some German friends, I think there was a charge, but don't know what they paid. Samples after the tour were full 1/2 liter, limited to 10 per person. Hopefully nobody tried to test the limit. Wursts and bread were also provided.
  • Avery Brewing, Boulder, CO - Free tour including samples. Have a designated driver as they have some high potency brews. This applies to most of the taprooms too.
  • Budweiser, Busch Gardens, Tampa, FL - Long gone now.
  • Magic Hat Brewing, South Burlington, VT - Free self guided tour with free samples afterward.

Taprooms - most serve full pints and charge going rates, exceptions noted. Most also sell beer to go.
  • New Belgium, Ft. Collins, CO. - FREE samples (not pints), including of course, Fat Tire
  • O'Dell Brewery, Ft. Collins, CO. - reserved for a private party when I went, I wasn't able to try.
  • Ft Collins Brewery, Ft. Collins, CO. - how can a town this size be blessed with three great microbreweries?
  • Yakima Craft Brewing, Yakima, WA
  • Port/Lost Abbey, San Marcos, CA - nominal price for flights of 4 non-pint samples.
  • Founders Brewing, Grand Rapids, MI - Largest by far of the ones I have been to.

Brewpubs/Restaurants
  • Tommyknocker Brewery, Idaho Springs, CO. - Great place to stop coming back to Denver from the ski resorts, try the green chili. Cold beer to go too.
  • Stone Brewing, Escondido, CA - tried to get there twice when I was in the area, but alas, haven't actually been there yet, although one of my co-workers has.
  • Ice Harbor Brewing, Kenniwick, WA

Brewery stores
  • Bell's Brewery, Kalamazoo, MI

Since some of these are older experiences, so details and free vs. not free might have changed.

If I recall any more, I'll add them, let's hear yours.

To stay on the topic of real breweries, please stick with breweries that distribute, and not brewpubs that just brew for in-house consumption or branded bars.
BOOKMARKED- thanks for this list. Extremely useful summary for my travels.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by djk7
Tours - in no particular order
  • Herforder Brauerei, Hiddenhausen, Germany - Was taken by some German friends, I think there was a charge, but don't know what they paid. Samples after the tour were full 1/2 liter, limited to 10 per person. Hopefully nobody tried to test the limit. Wursts and bread were also provided.
Finally, a true connoisseur ^
By the way: Given halfway decent behavior, they are happy to waive that limit
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
BOOKMARKED- thanks for this list. Extremely useful summary for my travels.
BeerMapping.com and Ratebeer.com are both great websites for finding beer places wherever in the world you are travelling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.