FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Celebrity butcher sacked after selling banned foie gras under the counter (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1315556-celebrity-butcher-sacked-after-selling-banned-foie-gras-under-counter.html)

notsosmart Feb 18, 2012 8:23 am

Celebrity butcher sacked after selling banned foie gras under the counter

Ugh, this is such a crock of ----

A celebrity butcher who sold top of the range meat to the rich and famous at Selfridges in London has been given the chop today after secretly selling banned foie gras in the store.

Jack O'Shea has been forced to close his butchers based in the high end department store after he was exposed for selling the controversial goose liver on undercover camera footage.

He was filmed serving customers who used the code term 'French fillet' packets of the French delicacy imported from Paris, weighing 795g, for £39.40.

Originally Posted by Jack O'Shea
'Stuffing a goose with grain is like stuffing me with Guinness. It has been totally blown out of proportion.'

Right on, sir. ^ ^

MtlChris Feb 20, 2012 11:46 pm

39 pounds for 800g of (presumably good quality) foie gras is not bad...

The ban is ridiculous. I would move out of a city that banned the stuff faster than you can say "French Fillet".

emma69 Feb 22, 2012 2:29 pm

The city hasn't banned it, you can still buy it all over London. It is the store, Selfridges, that has removed it from its stores due to its animal cruelty stance.

Gaucho100K Feb 23, 2012 3:13 am

Originally Posted by MtlChris (Post 18053678)

The ban is ridiculous. I would move out of a city that banned the stuff faster than you can say "French Fillet".

Amen !!!

onobond Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by MtlChris (Post 18053678)

Absolutely agree !

Jenbel Mar 21, 2012 9:54 am

The store had rules. This guy decided to break them. The store was within their right to ask him to leave. If they want to have an ethical policy relating to what food is sold in store, then all parties should abide by that. If he couldn't abide by the requirements of his landowner, then he should have left, rather than trying to circumvent rules he didn't intend to abide by.

The production of foie is extremely contentious and it's not something I would ever chose to eat, as I couldn't eat it knowing the suffering that animals have gone through to produce it.

YVR Cockroach Mar 21, 2012 10:32 am

I was recently in France where I was thankfully enjoying a by-product of foie gras cultivation. No qualms about gavage there!

baggageinhall Mar 21, 2012 11:23 am

Private Eye

There's an article about this in the latest edition of Private Eye.

Unsurprisingly, (perhaps) there is more to this than the sale of Foie Gras. The allegations are that as far back as 2009, there were reports of serious hygiene breaches.