FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   What are your cheap (inexpensive) eats? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1287598-what-your-cheap-inexpensive-eats.html)

arollins Dec 4, 2011 5:38 pm

What are your cheap (inexpensive) eats?

I thought of this while watching a subway $5 commercial. I figured others have some similar ones.
The hot dog/polish sausage and soda special from Costco, Sam's @ $1.50, I do not think you cant find anything cheaper.
Along the lines of hot dogs, the Ikea #2 combo, 2 dogs, soda and bag of chips for $2. Fifty cents extra will get you another hot dog.
A local Mexican rest close to where I work, Mexico 2000, has a chips and salsa special for $1.50
The Vietnamese banh mi sandwich, they are usually under $4 and are very filling.
What are yours?

braslvr Dec 4, 2011 6:16 pm

Jack in the Box Tacos 2 for 99 cents, but only when they fry them long enough. Last 2 times they were cold/half frozen in the middle.

Bean burrito w/green sauce at Taco Bell. 99 cents each.

AM/PM hot dogs if they haven't been sitting long.

nerd Dec 4, 2011 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by arollins (Post 17566539)
Along the lines of hot dogs, the Ikea #2 combo, 2 dogs, soda and bag of chips for $2. Fifty cents extra will get you another hot dog.

Every time I go into the Ikea cafeteria for cheap food, I end up leaving $20 lighter and 5lbs heavier.

That said, it's worth the fat and happy feeling. :)

xooz Dec 4, 2011 7:39 pm

Agree on bahn mi! The going rate near me (Atlanta/Buford Highway) is $2.50. Quoc Huong or Lee's Bakery large barbeque pork sandwich.... mmmmm!

cblaisd Dec 4, 2011 9:30 pm

The fish/fries/hush puppy/drink kid's meal at Captain D's :)

BryanIAH Dec 4, 2011 9:53 pm

A BBQ chain called Rudy's sells sandwiches with your choice of meat for around $4.50. All the extras (pickles, onions, BBQ sauce, sliced bread, etc.) are free.

So in practice $4.50 gets a bun, 1/3 lb. of meat, half a loaf of bread, and a ton of BBQ sauce. :D

It isn't as tasty as some local places but the price is much better.

braslvr Dec 4, 2011 10:16 pm

I thought we were going for cheapest edible. If that means under $5, that changes everything I said in my post above - by far.:D

Taiwaned Dec 5, 2011 1:49 am

Would that include street eats in China? A skewer of lamb, beef, chicken, unidentifible meat for 1-3 RMB per skewer. (20-50 cents USD).

You can get BBQ eggplant, califlower, fish, squid (that is more expensive) all on the sidewalk or my favorite place is in a middle of a demolished apartment complex.

Only open after 10 pm till about 2 am.

It is really good. Eat like the locals.

MikeFromTokyo Dec 5, 2011 7:12 am

Department store food courts in Bangkok- MBK or Siam Paragon are my favorites.

In Japan Teishoku restaurants (such as Ootoya) are great for a healthy meal when one does not want to spend a lot of time or money. Most set meals cost less than ¥1000.

work2fly Dec 5, 2011 10:15 am

$1 tacos from any one of many good local taco trucks

dankwonjr Dec 5, 2011 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 17569898)
$1 tacos from any one of many good local taco trucks

+1 for all the cheap tacos around me

I'll add all the $3.50 Vietnamese Sandwiches in the SF Bay Area

emma69 Dec 5, 2011 1:24 pm

My favourite cheap eat is an M&S egg and watercress sandwich - a Boots 'meal deal' also makes the list! I miss UK lunch food!

FluffyBunnyFuFu Dec 5, 2011 1:36 pm

Top Ramen :(
Portillos Maxwell Street Polish
BK Big Fish Sandwich; add a slice of cheese and extra tartar sauce

bitburgr Dec 5, 2011 2:06 pm

From the local food truck in Philly:

$4 for a kielbasa with sauerkraut, a bag of chips and a 12 oz soda
$5.25 for a cheesesteak, chips and soda.

missydarlin Dec 5, 2011 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by braslvr (Post 17566716)
Bean burrito w/green sauce at Taco Bell. 99 cents each.

with extra green sauce :)