Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Air Fryer - Experiences, Questions, Recipes" thread

Consolidated "Air Fryer - Experiences, Questions, Recipes" thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:43 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Well you can blame the wife for that, it was her idea.
No doubt brought on by the latest health fad and her liking for fried milanese and the odd chip. I'd have stuck with cooking both the conventional way.
Well ... you need to tell her that frozen chips are better in the air fryer than the way her hubby does them fresh.

Then cook her a bacon and chip sandwich using streaky bacon and a few toasted slices from a brioche loaf.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by uk1
Well ... you need to tell her that frozen chips are better in the air fryer than the way her hubby does them fresh.

Then cook her a bacon and chip sandwich using streaky bacon and a few toasted slices from a brioche loaf.
I'll get some Mcains.

Chicken legs might be on the agenda next. Anyway....it'll be a nice diversion now that the parrilla use is starting to slow down.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:05 pm
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

I'll get some Mcains.

Chicken legs might be on the agenda next. Anyway....it'll be a nice diversion now that the parrilla use is starting to slow down.
You may be old enough to remember I bought a twin catering fryer range in order to make proper fish and chips .... so I speak as someone that wouldn't say airfry chips are good if they weren't!

A big tip with them. You time the rest of the meal around the fries. So for example if we're having steak, I grill the steak and let it rest at the moment I put the fries in. Ignore the instructions. Put the airfryer on full pelt and throw the chips in. Open every so often and see if the surface of a chip is hard, if so try one. Keep shaking them. The thin fries are nice but unforgiving ie a minute over and they are crunchy rather than fluffy. Also only by mcains oven chips - nothing cheap.

Don't worry about keeping opening the drawer. It is so small and the heat so quick. It is a knack, but I wouldn't ' go back to a fryer.

I know you're going to grumble but just persevere.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I think one major mistake of new air fryer user is not using any oil.

All my potatoes which goes into the air fryer are coated with seasoning infused oil. When buying frozen "fries"/"chips" one need to buy the oven ready type which has a coating of oil/fat as opposed to the precut ones meant to go in a deep fryer.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tentseller
I think one major mistake of new air fryer user is not using any oil..
Seems I was erring too much on the side of caution and hadn't been using enough.
Made chips last night and added a touch extra oil making sure they were all coated.....made all the difference. My '1/2 tablespoon' is obviously smaller than theirs.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by tentseller
I think one major mistake of new air fryer user is not using any oil.

All my potatoes which goes into the air fryer are coated with seasoning infused oil. When buying frozen "fries"/"chips" one need to buy the oven ready type which has a coating of oil/fat as opposed to the precut ones meant to go in a deep fryer.
Seems I was erring too much on the side of caution and hadn't been using enough.
Made chips last night and added a touch extra oil making sure they were all coated.....made all the difference. My '1/2 tablespoon' is obviously smaller than theirs.
For plain flavour I use peanut oil, it is sprayed on using an oil prayer that you pump the "cap" around 20X and the oil comes out in a fine mist like an aerosol sprayer. by spraying you actually use less.
My brother doesn't air-fry potatoes as much and he just use commercial non-stick spray.
The flavour infused oil is brushed onto the potatoes using a silicon brush. I learn not to spray them after killing two "sprayers" due to the infusion herbs clogging it up.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Late to the air fryer game. Tried the Actifryer last year and while nice for fries, wouldn't have been good for a lot of things, and it was noisy to boot.

Looks like Philips is really pushing the Air Fryer now as I see it in chain drug store and hardware store flyers. Costco.ca has the lowest price by about 20% and throws in the pan (just got it a couple of hours ago). Not sure where the older models were made by the new ones are branded Philips Viva and of course made in China.

Trying fries right now.

FWIW, there are Singapore and Indian recipes from Philips.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:39 am

As someone who lives with a large Indian family, I felt that an air fryer would be of little use. However after receiving one as a gift, we love to make onion bhajis in it! Onion bhajis made traditionally in a pan of fat, are bad for you, especially when you eat 4-5 at dinner. So by cutting the fat intake down to 1 spray of oil on each bhaji, it has made a biggest difference! Yet they taste near enough the same, just without the greasy mouth feeling after eating.

Source: http://www.slinkystudio.info/reviews...irfryer-review
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:42 am

Just to restart this ,

are there any Air Fryers sold in the USA yet for around $100 yet ?

You would think that Walmart etc would have started to make something like this
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:10 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
are there any Air Fryers sold in the USA yet for around $100 yet ?
Is $110 close enough? Very good reviews:

Amazon.com: GoWISE USA GW22622 2nd Generation Electric Air Fryer w/ Temperature Control, Detachable Basket & Carry Handle - Black 3.2 QT, 1500W: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: GoWISE USA GW22622 2nd Generation Electric Air Fryer w/ Temperature Control, Detachable Basket & Carry Handle - Black 3.2 QT, 1500W: Kitchen & Dining
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:21 pm

thanks for the Amazon link....

and how many of you still us their air fryer a few years later ?

or is it collecting dust in the closet next to the fondue set
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Third only to our rice cooker and hot water pot, it's the most used electric gadget in our kitchen. We use it on a daily basis.

It's of most use early in the morning as we make bento style lunch meals most days. Near boiling water comes out of our water pot and straight into a saucepan. 4 minutes later the green vegetables are done.
I prep protein and other vegetables (i.e. Carrots, squash, zucchini, mushrooms) - usually with olive oil and crushed garlic - whilst the air fryer is getting to temp. Pop them in and they're cooked and crispy in 10-15minutes.
Arrange these in a box with the rice from the rice cooker: job done.

It had seasonal work over Christmas warming up the mince pies and refreshing the stollen.
An Air Fryer also makes a great Yorkshire pudding.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
late to the airfryer game but I finally bought the Phillips airfryer (analogue version ) from amazon uk for 68. ( Normally its 99++ in the UK.

So far i have used them on oven chips which were brilliant.
frozen chicken goujons also came out very nice. I tried heating samosa's . the frozen filo pastry ones did not turn out that nice but the Micro-cook version ( dont remember the brand) was brilliant.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:38 pm

I was looking for a place to discuss my consideration in buying an air fryer and who would have guessed flyertalk.

I currently own a countertop Oster Convection/Toaster oven. It is quite large and I use it for almost everything. I usually use parchment paper quite often as well to prevent food from sticking to foil and it works great. Parchment paper is quite wide, so to be frugal and avoid waste I usually rip it in half

Now I am trying to avoid having too many gadgets that would go to waste. I avoided buying the Foreman grill for quite awhile despite its popularity when it first came out. But everyone raved and loved it so I had to get one. As I guessed, I used it once or twice and then never used it again... I bought an egg poacher pan which I love but recently I got sick of that too, that I will probably go back to and the advantage is that it is not really an appliance but rather a pot with inserts.

Now from what I am reading an air fryer is really a convection fan with two fans so I am wondering if food would taste that much different from using my Oster to warrant another clunky appliance in my kitchern....
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I haven't had that much experience with mini convection toaster ovens but I think the air fryer forces hot air that much more forcefully than the former.

FWIW, the heating element is an iron coil like you get in a conventional electric range rather than the wire coil IR elements in a mini over.

I still use my air fryer regularly though I am unimaginative and just make fries (from potatoes I cut up myself). Will have to try the yorkshire pudding tonight if I can find a container small enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.