Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Air Fryer - Experiences, Questions, Recipes" thread

Consolidated "Air Fryer - Experiences, Questions, Recipes" thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Mrs KDS777 bought one and we used it once.

It now sits on what I call her "trophy shelf" in the kitchen with all the other expensive and mint condition unused appliances that were a good idea at the time.

Our Nespresso and Instant Pot are the only things we use almost daily/weekly.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:35 am

hello

Last edited by Buzzwalk; Aug 13, 2019 at 5:45 am Reason: wrong forum
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
For the first time I tried cooking some beef in here. I had gotten a few cheap Choice boneless chuck roasts to sous vide, and thought I’d cut some 1.5” by 4” strips to try in the air fryer.

Put some Montreal seasoning on them, and cooked for 12 minutes at 400 degrees. Although the meat was a bit tough, it was medium-medium rare, and had good flavor. I’m going to try it with some sous vide meat when it’s done.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:18 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by KDS777
Mrs KDS777 bought one and we used it once.

It now sits on what I call her "trophy shelf" in the kitchen with all the other expensive and mint condition unused appliances that were a good idea at the time.

Our Nespresso and Instant Pot are the only things we use almost daily/weekly.
So after reading and rereading this thread for the past few years, I still haven't bought one. I still "think" I want one but I also have a trophy shelf of barely used appliances in addition to a shelf of seasonal appliances such as a shaved ice maker.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcl
So after reading and rereading this thread for the past few years, I still haven't bought one. I still "think" I want one but I also have a trophy shelf of barely used appliances in addition to a shelf of seasonal appliances such as a shaved ice maker.
Easy way to figure out if this appliance is for you is to make a little mark in a calendar each day you believe that an Air Fryer would have been useful.
For instance - Would you have added some olive oil and garlic roasted zucchini and mushroom or leeks or bell pepper and onion pieces to your lunch and dinner if you’d had an Air Fryer handy?
Or would you have popped in some potato rosti/hash browns or chicken pieces from the freezer?
Would some hot and caramelised pieces of fruit been a welcome addition to your porridge that day?
How about an egg frittata for lunch or a snack?
Would that roast dinner have been improved with a fool proof Yorkshire pudding?

Be honest to yourself about whether or not you would have bothered to use the Air Fryer and see how many calendar marks you accrue.

(I don’t have many unused appliances, but I do have a manual shaved ice maker - alas, the template pot which you freeze the water into the correct shape with split. Haven’t given up on the fantasy of getting a replacement. Somehow.)

Last edited by LapLap; Oct 11, 2019 at 12:58 am
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:44 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I was not too interested in an air fryer until I read your post about Yorkshire pudding and caramelized fruit. At this time of year, I would probably have lots of marks on my calendar.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
What cooking vessel should one use for Yorkshire pudding in an Air Fryer?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
What cooking vessel should one use for Yorkshire pudding in an Air Fryer?
I have the square metal container (bake pan) Phillips made for the AirFryer.
Makes a Yorkshire pudding for four beautifully - and you need less cooking fat than the recipes usually call for
https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...-pudding-for-4

Any pan that fits and is fully heat resistant should do it though, doesn’t need to be non stick.
Jaimito Cartero and tcl like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
What cooking vessel should one use for Yorkshire pudding?
I use individual metal muffin cups. The idea is metal transfers the heat to heat the oil properly.
tcl likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 6:39 am

To buy or not to buy an air fryer - that is the question!

Now that I'm eating at home more and am admittedly a terrible cook, I've been thinking about buying an air fryer to make cooking easier and hopefully better. But then, I have a kitchen full of appliances I never use, so do I really need another to take up counter/cabinet space?

Do you have an air fryer? Do you actually use it? If you do, what make of air fryer do you recommend?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
There is a 9-year-old thread about it here... https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dini...air-fryer.html

We currently use our's (a small 2qt one) to air fry broccoli for a regular vegetable side dish (which fits just enough to perfectly serve four people)...and fried mozzarella sticks. It's definitely too small to fit a meaningful amount of chicken wings, but having a larger one will simply leave us with even less counter space.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Jun 23, 2020 at 7:40 am
Old Jun 23, 2020, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've struggled with this one - there are some things that I would like to cook, but require frying. I don't (and won't) have a deep fat fryer as I think they are so dangerous, but an air fryer has intrigued me for a while. However, for the things I want to fry, I am not sure an air fryer would work that well, since part of the process involved putting a semi solid mass into the hot oil (think fritters), and I am not sure that would work well without the submersion factor, so I have held off.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Don't bother. A friend who moved gave us theirs. A very high-end model. Waste of time really. Fry less, but when you do, do it properly.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have one and I don't think it's worth the hype. Could get the same results in an oven using a cookie sheet and wire racks.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
With all the cooking I've been doing, I have also been thinking about getting one. With the reviews on this thread - I don't think I'll bother!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.