Search

Consolidated "Air Fryer - Experiences, Questions, Recipes" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:33 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steph3n
I tried sweet potato fries (chips) with just some sea salt.....ughhh no good. Just like eating sweet potato jerky. Maybe I cut too thin (I like them thin and crispy), but I think they actually needed a bit of oil brushed on them. I didn't read the book, just winged it

I ended up putting them in a soup to rehydrate.
Must have a little coating of oil ....
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
Must have a little coating of oil ....
And Philips also suggested soaking in water to remove excess starch.

I found the older model at Argos for £99.99 and reserved it yesterday from the Camden branch, which is just as well as they had none left today. Also, by buying one more item to get the total over £100 I got a £10 voucher to use by January, with Christmas around the corner I can easily use it and this effectively brought the price down to £89.99. I bought the oven pan directly from Philips for £17.99. This means the new 'improved' version is available for £107.98 instead of the £159 most places advertise. Will report back with a review once I've had a chance to play.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by uk1
I'll try again!

The item that Steph3n posted a link to is a charbroiler. This is a completely different type of appliance.

The Philips Airdryer doesn't have a non-stick bake surface although you can buy a non stick bowl for it..

It isn't a gas or infrared grill like the Turkey Fryer. The Philips sits in the kitchen not in the yard. A turkey would NOT fit in it. I don't see how the turkey fryer is designed for chips/fries whereas the Philips was primarily intended for that.

To be frank the turkey broiler seems more like a standard grill and it only makes sense to call it oil less in the US because of the tradition of deep frying turkey. To say in the UK you don't need to cook in a way we don't cook anyway makes no sense. We don't deep fry turkeys so the whole premise of the appliance makes no sense in the UK market.

To me it seems like a standard grill/oven/broiler - more a rotisserie in principle than a Philips Airfryer. In Florida I can see why cooking for long periods is not attractive but in the UK I'd be spit roasting if a chicken or if very big turkey - convection oven roasting turkey slowly in foil then open and suspect I'd end up with something fairly similar. Slow cooking turkey in the UK primarily for Christmas is a tradition.

There isn't really much interest in the UK with cooking turkey quickly or thermo grilling it.

The charbroiler is nothing like the Philips Airfryer.
I am not talking about the turkey cooker, I can't see doing dumplings in such. I was just posting the charbroil one as something to do larger possibly, as the kitchen one is a bit small for cooking for a group of 4

I have purchased an air fryer after your posts
I personally don't know the difference between each appliance.. each is the same to me..

I turn it on, chuck the food in.. hopefully its cooked.. eat it.. and clean the appliance.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:54 pm
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I personally don't know the difference between each appliance.. each is the same to me..

I turn it on, chuck the food in.. hopefully its cooked.. eat it.. and clean the appliance.
I'm taking my vote back!
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:03 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
And Philips also suggested soaking in water to remove excess starch.

I found the older model at Argos for £99.99 and reserved it yesterday from the Camden branch, which is just as well as they had none left today. Also, by buying one more item to get the total over £100 I got a £10 voucher to use by January, with Christmas around the corner I can easily use it and this effectively brought the price down to £89.99. I bought the oven pan directly from Philips for £17.99. This means the new 'improved' version is available for £107.98 instead of the £159 most places advertise. Will report back with a review once I've had a chance to play.
I'm envious as I bought two at £119 each and felt smug until I saw the Argos offer. Haven't got the pan - anything that needs a pan will go into a mini oven instead. Although ...... to be frank I'm doing some sticky chilli chicken wings today and the Philips would have been better if I'd got a pan .......

When doing chips I really suggest you completely ignore the instructions.

Basically just make sure you use Maris Piper. Charlottes have better flavour but don't really crisp ie floury v waxy. Peel and cut to your chosen shape. I seem to be always cutting larger potatos into quarters length ways and then cutting across to small small wedgey chips. This also makes shaking whilst cooking less traumatic for the chips! Boil for 2-3 minutes or so. Let them dry and cool. Move them around to let as much surface water evaporate off until dry and cool. Patience is a chippy virtue. Research has shown it's surface water that sucks in oil and makes fatty chips.

Pre heat the oven for a couple of minutes. Hand coat with oil - I always use good olive oil. I cook the chips at 160 for around 30 minutes - sometimes increasing the heat in the last 10 minutes or so if they look like they need it. Regularly shake sometimes shake them back into the bowl you oiled them in to pick up any remaining oil. The oven does reduce oil but that isn't my main motive. It's cooking crisp chips with the flavour of olive oil which even using a deep fryer and pomace you can't get the temperature without ruining the oil. Pretty much the same thing for "roast potatos". I find that these produce the chips I've been trying to produce with my deep fat fryer using the New Zealand method (ie what Blumenthal ended up claiming as hs method) .......

If you cut the chips even smaller you can of course increase the temperature and decrease the time. Increasing size produces a better roast potato than using the conventional oven because they aren't saturated. With small chips ie shaped like saute, you can throw in a couple of cubed frankfurters in for the last minute or two (I always keep some in the fridge as they have a long date) and produce a nice snack grostl (lots of pepper and some salt) over which you can put a nice fried egg for oozing purposes.

Last edited by uk1; Dec 2, 2011 at 12:25 am
Old Dec 2, 2011, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I only found out about the Argos deal because all the sub £130 offers for this unit were unavailable or exhausted. Going to Argos was a bit of a desperate act. I shared it here as airfryers at this price are getting harder and harder to find.

Originally Posted by uk1
When doing chips I really suggest you completely ignore the instructions.
I'm also very interested in getting crispy chips from olive oil (a motivator for me when considering this purchase) I'll try your method tonight.
I did go by the Philips instructions yesterday, the result was satisfactory but I could see that there was vast potential for improvement. No complaints from my toddler who wolfed them down.

Also made yesterday:
Home made gyoza in frozen gyoza wrappers - OK, not as good as gyoza made with oil and steam... obviously, but they do make very interesting crispy snacks especially with a contrasting moist succulent filling. Again, lots of potential.

Garlic mushrooms and strips of red pepper - Lovely! Quick and easy and perfect.

Sliced fresh pineapple - Delicious! I preferred this at 200C to cooking at 180C. Takes about 6 minutes (+3 minutes warm up time) and the pineapple caramelises beautifully. I'm really looking forward to making a fresh salsa type dish/relish with these.

Sliced fresh apple - again, yum! Not quite as spectacular as the pineapple but definitely the best (and quickest) baked/grilled apple I've ever had. Nice caramelisation but the fruit doesn't turn to mush. Looking forward to making these in the baking tray once it arrives as some of the caramel ends up on the grill.

Recommended accessories for this unit are some decent tongs and a good pastry brush for adding some minimal oil to things like chips and gyoza skins.

This contraption and a rice cooker seem to be the perfect gadgets for those who take their packed lunches seriously.

Last edited by LapLap; Dec 2, 2011 at 3:23 am
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:57 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Zoji + Philips!

I see you are a "fruity" person.

Entirely my own invention of a sick mind who couldn't decide. Today, I made a pseudo Apple Strudel/Balclava ie a layer of baclava (walnuts and pistachios chopped) seperated with filo and topped by a strudel mix (apple sultanas brioche crumbs and sugar and cinamom) all wrapped in filo but without the sweet baclava goo. Perfect. For those who fancy both baclava and strudel but can't decide which. Obviously with seriously thick cream and a dusting of icing sugar.

The fridge is full of it.

Last edited by uk1; Dec 2, 2011 at 9:11 am
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I made cornbread in mine last night, perfect

btw why not just use a disposable mini foil pan? That is what I do. You can bend it to shape and more, works perfectly. Even can use aluminum foil and make a pan for it.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:52 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

I made cornbread in mine last night, perfect

btw why not just use a disposable mini foil pan? That is what I do. You can bend it to shape and more, works perfectly. Even can use aluminum foil and make a pan for it.
Good idea. Or a cheap non-stick round cake tin.

Last edited by uk1; Dec 2, 2011 at 12:09 pm
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by uk1
I'm taking my vote back!

Call me chef nowadays.. of microwave finger pushing..

These wedding gift appliances have been collecting dust over the years.. we must have got 3 or 4 of these appliances, hardly every used.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

Call me chef nowadays.. of microwave finger pushing..

These wedding gift appliances have been collecting dust over the years.. we must have got 3 or 4 of these appliances, hardly every used.
I am sure your microwave can turn out better food than applebee's or chili's. MAybe even soem Kobe beef.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by tentseller
Downtown Bay has them. If you are uptown you can try Caynes.
Originally Posted by emma69
Home outfitters carries them too. Not that I've been looking you understand. Oh and they are on amazon.ca (not that it has been added to my wish list there you understand!) Tfal Actifry rather than Phillips, same idea tho.
Thanks guys! ^ Will go check out The Bay.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by RCyyz
Thanks guys! ^ Will go check out The Bay.
Just FYI in Canada we get the T-fal. The Philips is 220V and not imported into Canada.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:47 am

Can you cook fried battered fish and chicken in these things ?

So do your own fish and chips ?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 7:31 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Peterpack
Can you cook fried battered fish and chicken in these things ?

So do your own fish and chips ?
Hi,

Errr .... it isn't a deep fat fryer! Whole idea of it. So obviously you cannot take raw fish immerse it in batter and "deep fry".

But it is good at frozen / fresh pre-battered items. For example I used it for a bought sweet and sour chicken and it was great. And as said previously in the thread it is perfect for chips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.