Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Where is your best/favourite steak tartare place in the US/Canada?

Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:05 am
tcl
Original Poster

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG

Although one usually gets decent steak tartare at a steakhouse, where are everyone's favourite steak tartare places?

My old standby was the Movenpick restaurant in Toronto, but sadly the Canadian franchise was sold a number of years ago and the restaurant only exists as Marche, a prepared foods outlet. Recently, I've been frequenting the bar at the Fairmont Boston Copley as their steak tartare is very generous with the olives
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: FB Gold; PC Plat.
Olives in a steak tartare ????

There are a number of places in Montreal where steak tartare is prepared comme il se doit (horse meat for the purists or quality beef, hand cut to order, etc).
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:21 pm
tcl
Original Poster

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Yup, green olives. Sounds weird but it works.

I usually get the bison tartare at Pied de Chochon but when traveling I often wonder about hidden gems that are not steakhouses.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:06 am

speaking of olives, I go to the Olive Garden for my steak Tartare
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:10 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
good steak tartare is tough to find, recently we enjoyed it recently at Leopold in Chicago:

slagel heart of ribeye tartare | $16
shallot, caper, farm egg yolk, frisee, whole grain mustard, chef's toast

meat was finely chopped.

With some good Belgian beer, Mrs Sweet Willie & I were 'yumming' it up, our waiter had a chuckle as I guess we were being a bit noisy

Leopold's website: www.leopoldchicago.com/menu/116-food-menu
(and if you go, get the main entree of the smoked rabbit, out of sight!!)

We have a number of very good Middle Eastern restaurants in Chicagoland, I'm looking forward to trying some lamb tartare next time I go to one.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by Meriem
Olives in a steak tartare ????

There are a number of places in Montreal where steak tartare is prepared comme il se doit (horse meat for the purists or quality beef, hand cut to order, etc).
Reviving a really old thread here. I had given up ordering tartare because it seems everyplace puts so much stuff in it it stops becoming beef and becomes just beef flavored vegetables. But I was just up in Toronto, at the Cote du Boeuf restaurant, and they prepare it fresh and how you want it. I asked for it plain wiht just a little shallot and salt. The chef came out to see me and said she appreciated that taste. It was by far the best I have ever had!

So now I am craving it again. I am going to be up in Montreal this weekend - so i was hoping you could recommend one of those places that prepares it fresh and will do it plain style.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Best tartare I've had is at the Vintage Chophouse in downtown Calgary.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Vintage also has a killer carpaccio plate as well.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:39 am

My choice is L’Express in Montreal. Steak tartare, kidneys and the roasted quail on wild rice are all fantastic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.