Wiki Posts
Search

Baking Frozen Pizza?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Baking Frozen Pizza?

I have an issue with baking frozen pizzas in my oven.

I can get the top and the crust edges cooked to my desired perfection.

However, the bottom is always still a bit gooey (undercooked).

Any advice on how to remedy this? I've been taking the individual slices and browning the bottom in a frying pan after baking.

I've heard about pizza stones, but I'm hearing conflicting advice on how to use them. Do you need to pre-heat the stone?

What about those "air bake" metal pizza pans (the ones with the holes that supposedly let warm air circulate to bake/crisp the underside)?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 4, 2012, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Do you put the pizza on a baking sheet or something?

It's best to just throw it directly onto the oven rack.
Old May 4, 2012, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede

I agree, directly on the rack produces better results than stones or fancy pans.
Old May 4, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Agree with above. Directly on rack circulates the air around the bottom & produces a better crust.

That said, I personally use a stone because I find it easier to get the cooked pizza out of the oven. Do not pre-heat the stone (putting a frozen pizza on a hot stone = cracked stone). The stone absorbs moisture creating a crispier crust than a pan. I also use the stone for baking bread, rolls, and biscuits.
Old May 4, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by pseudoswede

Originally Posted by a7800
I agree, directly on the rack produces better results than stones or fancy pans.
+1 to straight on the rack. IF you are worried about 'drips' piece of aluminum on the rack below it to catch.
Re-heating I do the frying pan method.
Old May 4, 2012, 7:07 pm

+1 for straight on the rack. I usually remove the rack below it and put foil on the bottom of the oven.

I also swear by a wooden pizza peel for sliding it in and out easily, and for a great place to slice.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/18-x...e/1244218.html

Now I want pizza!
Old May 4, 2012, 7:55 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I don't remember the last time I made a frozen pizza (made fresh this weekend) but wanted to say I've been dealing with the web restaurant store for years and love them. Highly recommend them.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:57 am
uk1
Suspended

OP,

Just seen your question.

If you ever need to replace your microwave consider a whirlpool with crisper. Pre heat the crisper for around 7 to 10 minutes and put your pizza in. The results are as good as my kitchen pizza oven that reaches well over 600deg and my garden beehive. Crispy base, great edges and great top. Hard to tell the difference between "properly cooked" pizza and this.

In my view the oven is worth it for the crisper alone - although you may be able to buy the crisper dish as a spare part and use it in other combination microwaves. I'm not certain what setting you would use - but suspect microwave+grill+thermo grill?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Right on the rack, and at a much higher temperature than "recommended." Pretty much the only ones I get are the Trader Joe's thin ones that are from Italy. And, right from freezer to oven. Don't let it thaw at all first.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:05 am

Pre-heat the oven to 400F, turn on the bottom heat rack to cook the bottom crust until it is gold. Then cook the top to get a nice crispy but juicy pizza. If you don't cook it this way, then the pizza is always soggy.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Right on the rack, and at a much higher temperature than "recommended." Pretty much the only ones I get are the Trader Joe's thin ones that are from Italy. And, right from freezer to oven. Don't let it thaw at all first.
Yes I've noticed that as well. Everytime I use the recommended temp (even using the higher end of the range) I still find it not cooked well enough and need to leave it in for several more minutes.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:47 pm

You also need to take your elevation into consideration as with any baking. Always use the direct oven rack, and never buy a cheap pizza!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by tru2logan
You also need to take your elevation into consideration as with any baking. Always use the direct oven rack, and never buy a cheap pizza!
Off topic;
Cheap pizzas are were it is
Totino's are the hangover/late night gaming food of choice!

Back to topic
Always on rack(no pan) I think I bake at 400-500 and check every 5 mins.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Flahusky
Totino's are the hangover/late night gaming food of choice!
I don't game, but I do enjoy a Totino's (pepperoni or pepperoni/sausage*) every once in a while.

* - Tiny pepperoni square bits and sausage dust, to be exact
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Back in grad school, I had a friend from Scotland who swore by deep frying frozen pizza.

One very late night after sampling, repeatedly, another Scottish specialty item, he got me to try it.

Sure tasted good, but I could feel my arteries clogging right up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.