Reload this Page >

Food, bowls of nuts, pretzels, crisps in airports and hotel lounges

Old May 16, 11, 1:35 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Am I the only one that is enraged by those selfish people who when they pass the bowl of nuts, pretzels, and crisps (chips) in bowls ignore the spoon and small bowls for them to disgorge a small portion for themselves, but instead insist on dipping their filthy fingers into the bowls and transfer a nut or handful of nuts directly from bowl to mouth - and often back again for seconds. The best are those that rummage around the nut or chinese cracker bowl with their index finger looking for their favourite nut or cracker. Or even better when they walk straight from their visit to the toilet for another nut rummage. I'm totally unable to enjoy those nuts myself whenever I visit a lounge. I wish they'd always use individual packs. Why do they always think that the spoon and small bowls is for everyone else other than themselves?

And then there's the food.

Don't they do the same with the food? They pick up a piece of food examine it closely ... sometimes sniff it ... and then put it back. Or when they bring kids who think that using their hands to play with the buffet whose behaviour the parents simply ignore. Or they use their hands to transfer cornflakes from big bowl to personal bowl. Or when adults rummage through the rolls ... always happens on planes when the FA has a bread/roll basket. Or the cheese biscuits ...... or the ice bucket ....

Am I just quirky or does it bother other people as well?
Old May 16, 11, 4:55 am

It's not just you.. things like that bother me too. Along the same lines, I hate it when people leave the washroom without washing their hands.
Old May 16, 11, 5:51 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks. A relief. Expected abuse.

Originally Posted by Dope Man View Post
It's not just you.. things like that bother me too. Along the same lines, I hate it when people leave the washroom without washing their hands.
And then I find myself not wanting to touch the door handle of the toilet to get out ...... I'm feeling like I'm the odd one in the odd couple ..... but it seems a rational thought to me.

Last week my wife reported to me that when she was having breakfast in the hotel lounge - parents allowed their kid to pick out fruit with her fingers from a fruit salad bowl intended for adding to meusli or yoghurt and was feeding herself bowl to mouth. The parents though it wonderfully rewarding and did nothing to stop their kid. Not the kids fault. The parents fault. My wife wanted to ask the lounge for a replacement but felt it had placed her in the uncomfortable position of appearing to be a "difficult complaining customer" - so she didn't have her fruit yoghurt.
Old May 16, 11, 8:11 am

This is the reason I never eat from communal bowls of nuts or indeed any snacks that people I don't know have access to. I don't do buffets either, no matter how posh...
Old May 16, 11, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
A local chain near me offers free wings on Mondays, in the bar area, during their happy hour. Last week, Mr. Kipper and I were there, and the bar had no available seats. I was ready to get up and fetch a wing or two when a couple entered the bar. They walked in from outside, and intended to sit at the bar, because, as the woman said, "They have free food at the bar today."

They stood between the walking area in the bar that led to the wing buffet and the wing buffet, looking for seats. Unable to find seats, they decided to leave. Before they left though, the woman walked up to the buffet, reached into the buffet pan with her bare hands, and picked up a wing. As they were walking out of the bar area, to the door, she was nibbling on the wing.

That was wrong on so many levels!

She used her bare hands. Ewww! This is why they have tongs sitting there.

They walked into the bar, opted not to stay, but decided to help themselves to the "free bar food," anyway. Last time I checked, the free wings were limited to bar patrons, and were to encourage people to spend money at the bar, not random people walking in off the street who aren't going to spend any money at the bar.
Old May 16, 11, 8:28 am

Another similar offense is handling loaves of bread without the white cloth, or removing the cloth from a loaf and using one's hands to hold and slice it. I once noticed this at the Grand Club lounge at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong and notified the staff. They would promptly wrap the bread with the cloth, but it wouldn't stay on the bread for long.
Old May 16, 11, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
And then I find myself not wanting to touch the door handle of the toilet to get out
I'm too lazy to search for a link right now, but I recall a study where they swabbed and cultured samples from different locations in multiple public restrooms, and the exit door handle was often far dirtier than any of the toilet seats or toilet bowls in that restroom.
Old May 16, 11, 9:32 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by indianwells View Post
This is the reason I never eat from communal bowls of nuts or indeed any snacks that people I don't know have access to. I don't do buffets either, no matter how posh...
You wouldn't let things lie!

I'd forgotten about buffets.

I love the idea of buffets. The range. The choice. The concept. But I become obsessed by being in there first before all the other punters get in and stick their oily fingers in.

Buffets don't work for several reasons.

We recently went on our one and only FT do. A Brit with wife amongst many other ex-colonists. We happened to be there in said city when they were. My inexperience showed. A lot of money for a buffet for two was paid - more than for a really good restaurant meal where people cook it and someone else delivers it with a passable smile, and a proper portion - hot.

Our first error was that we were at the wrong end of the room. I hadn't noticed everyone else strategically position themselves at the buffet end and with the constant slightly agitated and tense nervous glancing towards the buffet.

The"call to buffet" was made and there was a whirlwind and whoosh as the mass ran and descended onto the buffet. Mrs uk1 and I were last in the queue. People passed us staggering back to their tables - their heads obscured by the triumphal mountain of food on their plates. Mrs uk1 and I shared a cold and abandoned chicken wing which we both begged the other to eat. Clearly FT buffets are intended to be a redistribution of wealth.

But this is about those other dirty habits. It's not just the gluttony but about the fingering and the coughing and the sneezing.

I now shudder when I hear the word "buffet" and need regression treatment to work it all out of my system.
Old May 16, 11, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by indianwells View Post
Buffets work well for us as we have a couple small kids.. but we supervise and make sure we handle the food.

Generally, buffets have server spoons and tongs.. properly used doesn't cause a problem.

Its the food that can be handled with the fingers I agree must be eliminated. Often if food is evidently handled by hand we avoid at buffets. Communal bowls of nuts I avoid as well, unless its served right onto our table.. and at that point within our party we spoon up seperate servings.
Old May 17, 11, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do tend to avoid nuts etc in a bowl, or will happily ask for my own small serving bowl from the bar staff.

I am not so fussy that I won't share a communal bowl of nuts at the table with my friends, or at someone's house, for a start, I am pretty sure my nearest and dearest are capable of washing their hands!
Old May 17, 11, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Speaking of which.. today my wife hands my son a bag of Trophy hiker's mix..

So I'm munching while driving.. thinking about this thread..

In goes my hand into the bag, grab a bunch of mix.. stuffage of the mouth.. dirty fingers.. back it goes for another grab..

then a wipe from the bag of baby wipes with the hands.. thinking how the next person other than myself might be subject to the aftermath of my experiences
Old May 18, 11, 6:45 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

My angst on this subject seems to be pathologically unlimited.

1. Chefs on TV sticking their fingers in the sauce to taste or using a spoon for two tastes ie not discarding spoon after each taste.

2. Those lovely people that walk around the supermarket (I hate to be contentious but they always seem to be fat women with screaming children in tow) who insist on taking a grape from a bunch of grapes that they don't buy and sticking the grape in their fat mouths.

3. Those people at the breakfast buffet who insist on taken a rasher of crispy bacon from the bain-marie and sticking it straight into their smug gobs. And then another grape from another bunch ...........

4. Those who think they look more savvy if they pick up fruit and veg from market stalls (foreigners love doing this in French markets in particular - but it is escaping .....) and sticking it on their sweaty, snotty noses to sniff it - then pretend it isn't good enough (they know what they are doing you know ) and then stick it back for someone else to eat. They like doing this with peaches in particular.

agggghrrrrrr...................
Old May 25, 11, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by clarence5ybr View Post
I'm too lazy to search for a link right now, but I recall a study where they swabbed and cultured samples from different locations in multiple public restrooms, and the exit door handle was often far dirtier than any of the toilet seats or toilet bowls in that restroom.
I wish you hadn't said that, though I guess I knew it deep down anyway

I usually take to covering the door handle with my sleeve (though I suppose I just get all sorts of **** on my sleeve instead).

And I don't like sharing foods that other people have dipped their hands into either, it's just not pleasant.
Old May 26, 11, 3:19 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lousie View Post
I usually take to covering the door handle with my sleeve (though I suppose I just get all sorts of **** on my sleeve instead).
So it's not just me that covers the toilet seat with toilet paper then ......
Old May 26, 11, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by clarence5ybr View Post
Originally Posted by Lousie View Post
I wish you hadn't said that, though I guess I knew it deep down anyway

And I don't like sharing foods that other people have dipped their hands into either, it's just not pleasant.
Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
So it's not just me that covers the toilet seat with toilet paper then ......
I personally.. when wiping my hands dry..

At minimum open the restroom door with the paper towel in hand before leaving a washroom..

Most restaurants are good enough to have a garbage can by the door.. so the towel is deposited there.. if not.. on the floor (no choice)..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: