FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   How to Improve Bad Asian Food (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1199311-how-improve-bad-asian-food.html)

gfunkdave Mar 28, 2011 1:04 pm

How to Improve Bad Asian Food

Went out for dinner with my bf and mother in law to a pan-Asian place here in Chicago (Joy Yee) that we love. She didn't like her chicken with mango and lychee, so I took it home and sauteed it with soy sauce and sriracha. What a difference!

I think it's really the Sriracha that turns any mediocre-or-worse Asian food into something pretty good. :D

chubbuni13 Mar 28, 2011 1:07 pm

After reading the thread title I immediately thought to myself, "Sriracha" but it seems that that ship already sailed. :)

crabbing Mar 29, 2011 3:19 am

alternatively, one could simply avoid "pan-asian" or fusion restaurants, where the odds of getting good food are quite low.

greenythebeast Mar 29, 2011 4:47 am

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha

I think this comic is perfect for this topic!

Eastbay1K Mar 29, 2011 5:50 am

Originally Posted by crabbing (Post 16120295)
alternatively, one could simply avoid "pan-asian" or fusion restaurants, where the odds of getting good food are quite low.

^ What is "asian food" anyway? It has rice, it has soy sauce, we might use a wok?

uk1 Mar 29, 2011 7:28 am

Originally Posted by crabbing (Post 16120295)

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 16120725)
^ What is "asian food" anyway? It has rice, it has soy sauce, we might use a wok?

Excellent to see the usual grasp of international cuisine from our Colonial Cousins!

My favourite eating place in the whole wide world? Singapore? How much of it is "fusion"? I guess fairly close to 100%.

I guess I should avoid it in the future .............:D

skchin Mar 29, 2011 7:50 am

M.S.G.

9Benua Mar 29, 2011 8:00 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 16116662)
She didn't like her chicken with mango and lychee,

That's the problem. :p

meester69 Mar 29, 2011 8:02 am

Originally Posted by uk1 (Post 16121164)
Excellent to see the usual grasp of international cuisine from our Colonial Cousins!

My favourite eating place in the whole wide world? Singapore? How much of it is "fusion"? I guess fairly close to 100%.

I guess I should avoid it in the future .............:D

No none of it is 'fusion'. It's just 'food' prepared by and for people who care about the stuff.

The problem with any food is that the greater the distance from people from its origin, the worse it tends to get. Hence 'Mexican' food in the UK is almost always a texmex abomination, most Pad Thai in the UK is oversweet and inauthentic, and most 'Asian' restaurants in the US are nothing of the kind. No Panda Express in Singapore.....

tkey75 Mar 29, 2011 8:25 am

Originally Posted by meester69 (Post 16121367)
No none of it is 'fusion'. It's just 'food' prepared by and for people who care about the stuff.

The problem with any food is that the greater the distance from people from its origin, the worse it tends to get. Hence 'Mexican' food in the UK is almost always a texmex abomination, most Pad Thai in the UK is oversweet and inauthentic, and most 'Asian' restaurants in the US are nothing of the kind. No Panda Express in Singapore.....

This is the exact reason I generally avoid regional cuisine outside of the region. If I want Mexican food, I'll go to Mexico. Japanese, there's a Japan for that. It's not always practical, but I know I 'm getting the real thing.

That's not to say the food shouldn't be appreciated for what it is. Just know it's not truly authentic in most cases.

I said 'generally', because there really is no US-style cuisine, except for BBQ (please don't say fast food counts as American ;)). I rarely go out to eat anyway.

uk1 Mar 29, 2011 9:19 am

Originally Posted by meester69 (Post 16121367)

Then the criticism isn't about fusion food at all, it's about any food not cooked where it originated. That seems to be an entirely different argument to me and not the two arguments I saw stated.

Eastbay1K Mar 29, 2011 9:32 am

My issue isn't fusion, it is "what is Asian food?"

SOhp101 Mar 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 16120725)

OT rant, to any non-asians: PLEASE don't ever add soy sauce to your rice when eating at the table. You will be perceived either as rude or juvenile. :mad:

meester69 Mar 29, 2011 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by uk1 (Post 16121864)
Then the criticism isn't about fusion food at all, it's about any food not cooked where it originated. That seems to be an entirely different argument to me and not the two arguments I saw stated.

Well not exactly. The thing I picked up from the OP's post is 'how on earth can you have pan-Asian?', Asia is vast and diverse, you might as well have Mexican-French fusion - the problem for me is basically so long as there are people who think 'Asian' is a meaningful label for a restaurant's food, these restaurants serving icky over-sweetened food will stay in business.

DownTheRappitHole Mar 29, 2011 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by meester69 (Post 16123134)
you might as well have Mexican-French fusion

Mexique, the Chicago Mexican-French fusion place is a couple miles away :)

the "asian fusion" places are no worse than many of the Euro-zone Chinese and Thai places; they all specialize in detuned ethnic food