Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

My pasta sauce is boring......any ideas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My pasta sauce is boring......any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG Plat Amb, Le Club Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by braslvr
No wonder I consider UK food bland.

It's a typical italian recipe. - passed onto me by my ex italian in laws and it's easy to make
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by uk1
#

That's a good tip for excess herb crops!

We currently have a windowsill full of herbs you have a small amount of every so often but not every day. So there's a couple of thyme plants, a rosemary, some mint and basil etc. They cost less than a pound each. Sometimes herbs become mush when frozen ie not certain they'd work in pesto .... so with us it's either fresh or freeze dried for stews and things.
Sorry, I meant I freeze the pesto.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:53 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Sorry, I meant I freeze the pesto.
That makes much more sense!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Indeed....my wife's favourite 'sauce' is just good quality Virgin olive oil with plenty of chopped garlic....heated up in a pan then poured over the pasta. Some good quality grated parmesan and that's it.

Very simple and quick but tasty.
I like to take some good olive oil, some red pepper flakes, fresh garlic, and salt and pepper and cook them to let the flavors bloom a bit, then toss with pasta of choice and top with some parmesana reggiano.

Takes as long as it takes the water to boil and and is tasty.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:34 am

Mirapoix and a bay leaf is the way to go.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:38 am

Try this: cook diced garlic and parsley in extravirgin olive oil (EVO), then add diced zucchini (or diced eggplants, peas, mushrooms or nearly any kind of vegs), cook 5 mins, then add diced tomatoes (San Marzano are excellent), salt and pepper or chili peppers. Do not add wine, if tomatoes are acid, add a teaspoon of ketchup.
You can make the sauce in the same way with clams or/and mussels.
A very interesting sauce without tomato is made cooking in EVO some diced garlic and chili peppers, adding "al dente" boiled broccoli and salt, then cooking shortly, just melting oil, garlic and broccoli. It's better if you add anchovies to the EVO at the beginning, but then add a smaller amount of salt!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by soarer
Anyone know a way to make basil pesto without as much oil ?

I normally buy it at the market and pour much of the oil off ,

Since I just used the last of it today I thought I would ask before buying more at the market....

is there any dried pesto sauce packets you can buy and add oil later ?

Thanks for your help.....
Pesto is easy to make, it's just basil, garlic, pine seeds, parmesan, salt&pepper, and olive oil (extra virgin). So you can choose how much oil you put in the mortar or the food processor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.