Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by trooper
Wrong thread...

.....but if I ran the world drive throughs would be Standard menu items only.... 2 people only.

Want extra this, or none of that? feeding a family? GO INSIDE!
I'd say regular meals and large combos only and single serve fountain beverages as well as coffee.

That way you prevent hassle.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by RohanDXB
My story doesn't happen in queues - only in sit-down situations.
A friend of mine (bless his soul) usually takes ages to decide on his order and likes to know if the avocadoes are from Kenya or the US and stuff like that.

Ro
that would bug me so much.

What bugs me about lines and stuff I see in my business is that people will be waiting in a line out the door and do not think about what they might want to buy. It's only after I ask if I can help them and they then say to their friends also in line "ok, what are we going to get". Sheesh.. you've had 5 or 10 minutes to think about it but no you chose not to. You then hold the line up.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
that would bug me so much.

What bugs me about lines and stuff I see in my business is that people will be waiting in a line out the door and do not think about what they might want to buy. It's only after I ask if I can help them and they then say to their friends also in line "ok, what are we going to get". Sheesh.. you've had 5 or 10 minutes to think about it but no you chose not to. You then hold the line up.
I'm guessing these are the same people that give you a dumb look at the cash register - totally unprepared with a form of payment until given the amount. Then they begin to pat their pockets and search the deep recesses of their purses .....
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I'm guessing these are the same people that give you a dumb look at the cash register - totally unprepared with a form of payment until given the amount. Then they begin to pat their pockets and search the deep recesses of their purses .....
...and pull out a check.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
At a supermarket (I already put the groceries for an entire week on the conveyor belt):
Cashier (to customer in front of me): That will be 300$
*Customer in front of me inserts card. Card rejected. Customer proceeds by trying with his other two cards.
Cashier: We do accept cash.
*Customer looks into an empty wallet
Cashier: There's an ATM just over there
*Customer goes to ATM. All his cards get refused.
*Customer comes back empty-handed.
Customer: I have my chequebook in the car.
*Customer runs of to the parking lot and returns approx. 15 minutes later

Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
You wouldn't have to wait at...

Originally Posted by WorldLux
At a supermarket (I already put the groceries for an entire week on the conveyor belt):
Cashier (to customer in front of me): That will be 300$
*Customer in front of me inserts card. Card rejected. Customer proceeds by trying with his other two cards.
Cashier: We do accept cash.
*Customer looks into an empty wallet
Cashier: There's an ATM just over there
*Customer goes to ATM. All his cards get refused.
*Customer comes back empty-handed.
Customer: I have my chequebook in the car.
*Customer runs of to the parking lot and returns approx. 15 minutes later

Publix (SE United States)

They can just push a button and store the check out, put everything in a basket and store it by the customer service counter. The next person in line can then be taken care of immediately. When they come back, they have to wait in the customer service line to pull the check-out from memory and pay.

Unfortunately, my wife and I went shopping once and when I went to pull out my wallet, I found it missing. She doesn't bring hers when we go out together, so I had to run home and come back as I had left it on my dresser.

:facepalm: :doh!:
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by teddybear99
They can just push a button and store the check out, put everything in a basket and store it by the customer service counter.
Well this was a Carrefour supermarket and they weren't able to do that. Personally I was rather surprised that they accepted a cheque. Lots of red flags. No cash and all credit & debit cards not working is not very convincing...
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Publix is pretty awesome. Many other grocers have tried to break into the Florida grocery market only to leave with tail between the legs because they don't pay attention to the little details of what shoppers down here value at the supermarket.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Publix (SE United States)

They can just push a button and store the check out, put everything in a basket and store it by the customer service counter. The next person in line can then be taken care of immediately. When they come back, they have to wait in the customer service line to pull the check-out from memory and pay.

Unfortunately, my wife and I went shopping once and when I went to pull out my wallet, I found it missing. She doesn't bring hers when we go out together, so I had to run home and come back as I had left it on my dresser.

:facepalm: :doh!:
FYI: Target can also do this.

Sometimes, if someone was being a complete jerk to me for no reason, I would *accidentally* hit that button after ringing everything just so it would take them longer to get on their way. Depending on how large the order was, it could take at least a solid minute to reload the transaction history...
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Publix is pretty awesome. Many other grocers have tried to break into the Florida grocery market only to leave with tail between the legs because they don't pay attention to the little details of what shoppers down here value at the supermarket.
I agree. Shopping is a pleasure, their slogan holds true. The cashiers are the nicest and free coffee 7AM to 7PM
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:02 pm
Suspended

"Oh! I forgot something..I'll be right back"...proceeds to leave line and return to sales floor, stuff half rung up.

I make the cashier suspend their sale and ring me up every time. Only once did the person return before I was done. I was not apologetic.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had some time on my hands, so I read this thread all in one go. From five years of experience, it looks like we can find some rules to live by:
Rule 1 - never enter a drive thru line with concrete lane barriers unless there's absolutely no one in front of you. Just go inside. Much less chance of 😡.
Rule 2 - select check out lines carefully in supermarkets and shops. Express lanes aren't always what they seem. Check the carts. Watch out for cat food.
And be ready to switch lines in case of IROPS.
Corollary to Rules 1 and 2 - if you are in a rush it will almost always be less stressful to be in a hung line inside than in your car. Seems to be a function of expectation of continuous action. Maybe the sense of sharing frustration with other people in line that you miss in the car.
Rule 3 - Starbucks in particular is problematic. They allow nearly unlimited configurations and use code words to describe a lot of them. A line of more than 2 customers is an invitation to back away and find another Starbucks, usually a block or two away.
(I'll add other problem stores in this regard are Bed, Bath, and Beyond and any craft store.)
Rule 4 - Airport Starbucks visits are going to be what they are. Know it's probably going to suck as you approach and if you decide the cuppa is worth it, you have to live with it.
Rule 5 - Starbucks drive thru is double doom. Never get in line. If there's a car in front of you, go inside.

Beyond these certainties, it's pretty clear no place is immune from the self-absorbed.
I'll add one more universal truth that I've observed, though slightly OT.
No matter where it is - east, west, urban center, or suburb - no matter what time or day, the parking lot at Trader Joe's is a cluster...
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If the grocery store customer service desk has no line, it's the perfect '10 items or less' set up. But do not get behind someone there because that person is either having the desk deal with $87.25 in coupons that the cashier couldn't get to ring up at the register or youngish looking and trying to buy cigarettes and lottery tickets without an appropriate id.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by beachmouse
If the grocery store customer service desk has no line, it's the perfect '10 items or less' set up. But do not get behind someone there because that person is either having the desk deal with $87.25 in coupons that the cashier couldn't get to ring up at the register or youngish looking and trying to buy cigarettes and lottery tickets without an appropriate id.
Certainly true at Target - Customer Service is available to check you out unless there's already a customer in line.

When I used to shop at Wal*Mart, I would use the jewelry counter to pay for ten items or less.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Certainly true at Target - Customer Service is available to check you out unless there's already a customer in line.

When I used to shop at Wal*Mart, I would use the jewelry counter to pay for ten items or less.
Walmarts policy is 20 items or less. Or at least my local one

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.