Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:21 pm

"After midnight we only sell large or extra large sizes" resulted in me pulling out of the McD's drive thru sans 1 medium soda. I don't need that much caffeine at 12:30 a.m. Plus, I think it was the cashier being a jack*** because a week later they were perfectly happy to sell me a medium at 1:00 a.m.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
"After midnight we only sell large or extra large sizes" resulted in me pulling out of the McD's drive thru sans 1 medium soda. I don't need that much caffeine at 12:30 a.m. Plus, I think it was the cashier being a jack*** because a week later they were perfectly happy to sell me a medium at 1:00 a.m.
I used to work for a McD's franchisee in South Fla. When they went to 24 hours most stores had a special midnite menu. My former owner went further by requiring everyone to order a large combo and refused to sell anything smaller. The "reasoning" was they had to pay the workers a higher wage to work those hours so they needed higher revenue. We received many complaints through corporate, but they couldn't do anything about it because each franchisee can set their own menus. Sales grew with time as people became more aware of the opening hours so these restrictions were lifted. Now in most stores, the sales during this day part is at least 25% of the daily sales so it has become a moot point and more items from the regular menu have been added to the overnight period.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Anyone who uses 10+ coupons is also about to pay with a check. The checkbook doesn't come out of the purse until everything has been rung up and then they have to ask to borrow a pen and confirm the correct date and is it okay to write it for $10 over the total. Then they act surprised when asked to produce an ID and there is more fumbling in the purse to locate a drivers license and then a 15 minute wait while the husband goes out to the car to look for her license .....

Oh it's a slippery slope that usually ends up with me leaving my groceries on the belt and storming out of the store.
You forgot the part where 3 of the 100 coupons won't scan correctly, the couponer throws a fit that their $1.25 isn't going to get taken off Now and they want the cashier to summon a manager right quick to the register to override it so the coupons work rather than being forced to go to the customer service desk with their receipt to get it sorted out. (Yep, guess what lane I incorrectly picked at my local Publix a few weeks back)
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by beachmouse
You forgot the part where 3 of the 100 coupons won't scan correctly, the couponer throws a fit that their $1.25 isn't going to get taken off Now and they want the cashier to summon a manager right quick to the register to override it so the coupons work rather than being forced to go to the customer service desk with their receipt to get it sorted out. (Yep, guess what lane I incorrectly picked at my local Publix a few weeks back)
Kill me. Just kill me!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by BamaVol
As I recall from BamaVol Jr #1's stint at Taco Bell 15 years ago, the beans and beef had to sit in a warm water bath to achieve the right serving temperature. They don't actually cook anything there. They probably had plenty of ingredients just none ready to serve.
In addition to the possibility that the restaurant had food in the freezer that would have taken too long prepare, it's also possible the restaurant's freezers were bare-- at least of certain items. When I worked in restaurants many years ago there were a few times when an unexpectedly busy week meant that we were scraping bottom on certain items when the next delivery truck arrived. A few times also the truck was late. I remember at least one day when I cooked and served meat that hit the plate barely 30 minutes after rolled off the truck, frozen raw.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
In addition to the possibility that the restaurant had food in the freezer that would have taken too long prepare, it's also possible the restaurant's freezers were bare-- at least of certain items. When I worked in restaurants many years ago there were a few times when an unexpectedly busy week meant that we were scraping bottom on certain items when the next delivery truck arrived. A few times also the truck was late. I remember at least one day when I cooked and served meat that hit the plate barely 30 minutes after rolled off the truck, frozen raw.
Hah! A couple Sundays back, we were at Another Broken Egg for brunch. I ordered a shrimp and lobster salad roll. The manager came by and explained they were out of the appropriate roll. I think it was served on a New England style hot dog bun. He offered to improvise and take it off the check if it wasn't satisfactory. I told him I was game and 10 minutes later it came out served between 2 gluten free pancakes. It was a little heavy for my taste and I ate it open faced. Unfortunately the shrimp and lobster salad repeated all afternoon long. But where there's a will ....
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
At the supermarket checkout, Im standing behind a person who just finished paying and I already laid out like 5 items on the conveyor belt and the cashier says "I'm sorry, this lane is closed".
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
At Starbucks last week a young boy told his mother "I need to use the bathroom NOW" which wouldn't have been so bad if his mother hadn't said "It can wait." That boy will grow up to be a good dancer after some of the moves he pulled in line.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:15 am
Suspended

Old people standing in line at a bus stop around 9am where I bide are known as Twerlies.
Their free bus concession starts at 9am hence they all climb on the bus and ask the driver " Am I too early ? "
I was reminded of this recently when I had the chance to use,for the first time,my 1/3 off concessionary Senior Railcard.
Or as it's known by rail staff as an Old Gits Card.
Grey power rules !
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
At the supermarket checkout, Im standing behind a person who just finished paying and I already laid out like 5 items on the conveyor belt and the cashier says "I'm sorry, this lane is closed".
I've been known to call for a manager, and ask if they want me as a customer or if I should just leave.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by sethb
I've been known to call for a manager, and ask if they want me as a customer or if I should just leave.
I usually smile, and say, "It's a quick order. Any chance you can just scan everything?" It only works if it really is just a few items, but it usually does work.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
In a drive thru, "I have 10 separate orders." Guess what I just heard?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:37 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by wrp96
In a drive thru, "I have 10 separate orders." Guess what I just heard?
And I hope the manager told them they need to come inside. These days most of the chains have timers based on sensors installed in the pavement. They are graded on the times of service in the Drive-thru and the MOD's don't need excess times on their performance reviews.

When I worked for McD's and Checkers (80's-90's), we had a max limit of two separate orders in the drive-thru. If they had more than that, either they had to come inside (walk-up window for Checkers), or drive around and enter the DT-Lane another time. We didn't mind the large orders at once, but holding up the DT-Lane for all those people behind the orderer to bag each order separately and process each transaction would mean way higher waits and that's not "fast-food."
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:00 pm

Cashier at Nandos: "Sorry we are out of chicken"

Customer in front of you: "oh"
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
At Burger King, "We're outta meat".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.