Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
HK$5 is worth much more than 1 cent...
I think what he meant to say was those HKD cent pieces that still exist.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
If she is right and the store participates in a programme (scanning code of practice IIRC), then she could get the item for free...
If they do, it is usually best to deal with that at the service center after you pay for your order, as the employees at the service center know how to do that without asking for a manager. Likewise, you can earn extra miles or points by paying for the full total, and then getting cash back at the service center.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by kipper
If they do, it is usually best to deal with that at the service center after you pay for your order, as the employees at the service center know how to do that without asking for a manager. Likewise, you can earn extra miles or points by paying for the full total, and then getting cash back at the service center.
Heh, heh. Add that one to the list of YKYBRTMFTW (You Know You've Been Reading Too Much FlyerTalk When)... You're patient when overcharged at the store because you know you'll get more points and miles out of it!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by jologolf212
So was it $5.49 or $5.59?
A genuine LOL from me on this reply
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Heh, heh. Add that one to the list of YKYBRTMFTW (You Know You've Been Reading Too Much FlyerTalk When)... You're patient when overcharged at the store because you know you'll get more points and miles out of it!
LOL, well, if you want extra points and miles...
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
Sir, it is 10:31am and we cannot serve you the six mc griddles you ordered. Your cardiologist will thank us.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I am at Starbucks today. Ordered my medium cup of coffee after, of course, enduring to the "Would you like to try one of our trout-infused, almond-encrusted, creamsicle frappadoodles today"[/URL]) at the drive through. I pull up behind the car in front (which is already at the service window).
I just refuse to go through the drivethrough. My wife thinks it is funny. I have been burned too many times. At least when I am in line inside and there are only 3 people in front of me and the line hasn't moved in 10 minutes, I can bail out. I have been trapped where there is a curb between the drivethrough lane and the exit lane to prevent you from escaping.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I'd have ordered pepperoni and cheese--splitting the order about in half. That way, those who don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent, those who just don't eat meat, or those who don't like pepperoni have an option, but it doesn't complicate things with 10 different requests.
No way. Everyone wants to order cheese to be considerate to the vegetarians, but the vegeterians eat the veggie pizza and the cheese pizza at the end is left sitting barely touched.

My wife and I went out with my sister and her kids. My wife and I got a sausage, and my sister got a cheese. She wanted to get one that was half and half, but I knew they wouldn't eat the cheese and we wouldn't have enough of the sausage. Sure enough, the sausage was almost gone and between the 3 of thm they had 1 piece of the cheese. In the world we live in now, I guess there has to be a sacrificial cheese pizza - it won't get eaten, but it has to be there so people can feel good about themselves.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:32 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by drphun
...I guess there has to be a sacrificial cheese pizza ....
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
No way. Everyone wants to order cheese to be considerate to the vegetarians, but the vegeterians eat the veggie pizza and the cheese pizza at the end is left sitting barely touched.

My wife and I went out with my sister and her kids. My wife and I got a sausage, and my sister got a cheese. She wanted to get one that was half and half, but I knew they wouldn't eat the cheese and we wouldn't have enough of the sausage. Sure enough, the sausage was almost gone and between the 3 of thm they had 1 piece of the cheese. In the world we live in now, I guess there has to be a sacrificial cheese pizza - it won't get eaten, but it has to be there so people can feel good about themselves.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I for one like to have one slice of plain cheese and one slice with some sort of meat toppings.

I find that the taste of the cheese and sauce are actually different on pizza with toppings. Maybe it's subjective, but I think the flavors of the toppings actually mix into the cheese while the pizza is baking and change it, so even when you take all of the toppings off, it doesn't taste the same as a plain cheese pizza from the same place.

And I enjoy the taste of the plain cheese pizza as much as I do those with toppings. Depending on the source, sometimes I like the plain even better.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by WillCAD
M Maybe it's subjective, but I think the flavors of the toppings actually mix into the cheese while the pizza is baking and change it, so even when you take all of the toppings off, it doesn't taste the same as a plain cheese pizza from the same place.
Makes sense to me. You're cooking the pizza at a high enough temperature so that the fat in pepperoni liquifies and moves down into the sauce. And since the pepperoni is highly spiced, the grease carries some of that additional flavor down as well.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:31 pm

I'm not a fan of veggie pizza--too many different veggies and some people don't eat peppers, while others don't eat onions, while others don't eat black olives. I do like just plain cheese pizza.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I for one like to have one slice of plain cheese and one slice with some sort of meat toppings.

I find that the taste of the cheese and sauce are actually different on pizza with toppings. Maybe it's subjective, but I think the flavors of the toppings actually mix into the cheese while the pizza is baking and change it, so even when you take all of the toppings off, it doesn't taste the same as a plain cheese pizza from the same place.

And I enjoy the taste of the plain cheese pizza as much as I do those with toppings. Depending on the source, sometimes I like the plain even better.
I think you're probably right about the flavours mixing.

Personally I am pretty much a pizza slut. Assuming it hasn't been doused in anything very spicy and doesn't have pineapple on it I will eat it.

Getting back on topic... "I've never eaten at one of these places before"

I took my Dad to subway once. It was hilarious
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by exilencfc
I think you're probably right about the flavours mixing.

Personally I am pretty much a pizza slut. Assuming it hasn't been doused in anything very spicy and doesn't have pineapple on it I will eat it.

One thing I don't want to hear ahead of me is, "I don't like pineapple!"

Come to think of it, I don't ever want to hear that anywhere - in front, behind, above, below, or off to the side. It's just wrong!

In lines, i dislike hearing, "Wait! I think I have the change..." as someone opens their purse or wallet for the first time.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by exilencfc

OMG. There's a whole litany of things I don't want to hear in front of me in line at a fast food restaurant. Take these real-life examples of people who clearly didn't understand where they were:

• What brands of sparking water do you have?
  • How recently were those mushrooms picked?
  • <Any question involving the term "free range" that's not a joke>
  • <Ditto the above for "certified organic", "cruelty free", Kosher, etc.>
  • Can I just get a Big Mac? <asked anywhere but McDonald's>
  • Do you take checks?
  • Do you take food stamps?
  • Do you sell beer?
  • I hate this restaurant, so it's going to take me a bit to decide what to order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.